Weight Pulling - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:47 AM

I mush with my 3 y/o GSD, dryland and in snow, and here are my two cents: (granted, I am still a "newbie" by pretty much all standards)

Having a properly fit harness is HUGE. What style of harness can also depend on your dog's motion, what they're pulling, and where the attachment point is: high vs. low. (I have a custom fit X-back for Zage.)

I would highly recommend trying to find a mushing group in your area; there are many, many dryland groups in places where there is little to no snowfall. If there aren't any groups near you that you can connect with in-person, there are a number of groups on facebook that are very helpful and always welcoming new people into the sport.

If you're worried about having to "bail" from a bike, or getting caught up on it if your dog suddenly goes off course, maybe look into a kickbike/scooter.

And another big thing: before you do any actual pulling, work on your "driving" commands!! (I did this on walks, hikes, and eventually alongside the bike without puling before we ever harnessed up.)
Hike, whoa, easy, gee, haw, on by, passing commands, etc.

- Kayla

Zage (GSD, 3 yrs)
Dutchess Lena of Black Lake RATI (Keeshond, 12 yrs)

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
― Dean Koontz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page