Weight Pulling - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femfa View Post
Have you considered Skijoring? I don't know where you live, but here it's winter almost 8 months out of the year. My breeder does it with her dogs, and it's great personal exercise and an awesome way for you and your dog to enjoy the colder months together. You can also do Skijoring with bikes in the summer time, too. I believe we have a few members that actively compete in the sport.
No snow at all where I live, got 2 inches one day this year and that's it. The mountains don't allow for dogs where I live unless you go really remote which I'm unsure if I can without trespassing.

I'll look into the bike version.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
My shepsky and I don't Pull...
but we have absorbed some knowledge from other husky owners, which I will attempt to pass on...

- No serious training at Pulling until the growth plates are closed

- Harness needs to be heavily padded in shoulders and chest

- Harness needs to distribute weight evenly across body (some like an X-back style?)

- Husky owners like "Alpine Outfitters" as a source for harnesses

It's a good point that GSDs are built differently than the typical pulling breeds (husky/malamute etc) so I think I'd stay really conservative on the weight! Like, pull just enough for fun, and without competitive or definite goals...don't want her to get hurt!
Thank you! I actually have looked into Alpine Outfitters before but was unsure if that would be good for this kind of thing.

I posted some pictures of her body type below which seems more boxer then anything. I wouldn't do competitively just 2-3 times a week maybe?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
from what you describe, it sounds like your dog likes to tug? different from pulling. or am i interpreting the blanket example incorrectly?
She likes to do both. The blanket example was just something she likes to do. If she had on a harness she would do the same thing but pulling the other way. I have a kurgo one but I don't know if that's evenly distributes weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:25 AM

How about walking her with a backpack? I have heard that helps tire a dog out.

Zelda, "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:54 AM
Crowned Member

Along with training and since you had mentioned your dog has some reactivity issues you can always teach your dog sledding, weight pulling in remote areas -before you get the reactivity under control. I’m not sure how severe the reactivity issues are on the scale. With bikjoring you do want to make sure you reactivity issues as well as working through desire to chase deer, wildlife if high prey drive well under control. speeds on the bike are awfully fast and twisty trails can be dangerous if your dog does not listen. Weight pulling I would talk to people who do that sport for advise as I understand dogs are pulling large amounts of weight. I enjoy sledding and bikjoring on occasion it breaks up the monotony of training and is just fun for the entire family.(sledding - bikjoring with kids the speeds are to fast with some dogs) I use the wheelback harness for sled pulling which is also good for weight pulling - it keep pressure off hips and back and is good for gsd structures - longer back. I use the long distance harness for bikejoring - different harness for different inclines from harness. Both are from howling dog Alaska. Their is also carting which Iots is fun even though I had not the time to pursue that more. I would love to get the Sacco cart but expensive but looks like awfully fun. I don’t train for the Iditarod sledding race or for weight competitions but do have tons of fun and can incorporate my exercise and my dogs exercise at the same time. I started off when max was a pup pulling light plastic sleds. Teaching commands and then eventually adding a heavier sled with a little bit of weight at a time. It’s something to do with your dog. Your dog has to listen to you and know how to stop when to go make rights and lefts. I had no additional challenges teaching max and Luna to pull as pups and did not interfere with teaching them how to walk in a leash. Max learned how to pull some light sleds before he was taught how to heel. I taught this all unformely but there is a book if you want to learn more on sledding. Alpine outfitters has great harnesses as well!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GGTQ50..._1550584763005
https://howlingdogalaska.com/products/wheel-dog-harness
https://howlingdogalaska.com/collect...stance-harness

I want one of these one day have max and Luna my team lol! and definitely will get one if I ever have trouble walking in my older years and struggle to exercise my dogs. Sacco carts-
https://youtu.be/UYrqr-yE0wo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 02-19-2019 at 09:13 AM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:12 AM

If you wanted advice on Weight Pulling, I think your best bet would be to find a group that does it locally or in another city/state to ask questions. Facebook may be a good reference for this (Charm City Weight Pullers is my local club). A friend of mine does weight pull with her shepherd at the local weight pull club. At one point she told me what they start out with percentage of the dogs weight wise for drag work, but I cannot for the life of me remember what that number was.

Alpine Outfitters was the recommended company when I asked about it, though I never did actually try. You want an X-back dog harness with padding for weight distribution.

Good luck and be safe
Sabis mom likes this.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung RATI RATN RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:13 AM

Just thought of something you and your dog might enjoy-

Years back I had 2 little Bichons who loved to learn new stuff so I taught them to quasi-pull me on street roller skates.

We had loads of flat areas with sidewalks in town so it worked perfectly. We'd go zooming around this huge lake

on a sidewalk and had a blast. It doesn't really take a lot of strength in pulling on a sidewalk because the wheels

roll so easily. But it was super exercise for the little dogs and they "thought" they had a job and loved it.

I just used regular harness and long rope/leashes. If your knee can take a little roller skating, you might want

to consider this. It's pretty easy to teach the dog- go, whoah, yes, no etc. They learn it fast cause they love it.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:19 AM
Crowned Member

A word about reactivity: it doesn't go away just because they're pulling. When my DH was young, he had an adolescent dog with boundless energy that he used to take roller-blading. He'd go to a flat area with a very long road with no traffic that was basically abandoned on weekends. He'd put the dog in a harness, put on his helmet and pads, crouch down, and let the dog tear down the road at a full run, pulling him on his roller blades.

It was loads of fun -- until the day a squirrel crossed in front of her while she was at top speed. She shifted into prey drive to turn and chase the squirrel, he had no way to stop her because he was on blades flying down the pavement, and she was in a harness, not a prong collar. He took a bad fall and was pretty banged up, but the pads and helmet kept him from serious injury. He decided that speed-skate game wasn't worth the fall risk.
Katsugsd likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 02-19-2019 at 10:22 AM.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:26 AM
Crowned Member

I will also mention just walk the dog on the leash and allowing him to pull can be very dangerous. Gsds range in size but some are awfully large. My first gsd almost dragged me right in front of a car just because he wanted to pee on a stop sign across the road. If the car did not stop I would of been in big trouble as it was only centimeters away. He did not do that again and learned to not disregard his owner when on the leash. Listening to you is a must regardless of the rhyme or reason.

Last edited by Jenny720; 02-19-2019 at 10:36 AM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
A word about reactivity: it doesn't go away just because they're pulling. When my DH was young, he had an adolescent dog with boundless energy that he used to take roller-blading. He'd go to a flat area with a very long road with no traffic that was basically abandoned on weekends. He'd put the dog in a harness, put on his helmet and pads, crouch down, and let the dog tear down the road at a full run, pulling him on his roller blades.

It was loads of fun -- until the day a squirrel crossed in front of her while she was at top speed. She shifted into prey drive to turn and chase the squirrel, he had no way to stop her because he was on blades flying down the pavement, and she was in a harness, not a prong collar. He took a bad fall and was pretty banged up, but the pads and helmet kept him from serious injury. He decided that speed-skate game wasn't worth the fall risk.
Similar thing happened to me as a young kid with the family dog. I took her out in the morning to do a mile run while I was on my skateboard. One day, an older gentleman and his dog were in our path and my girl wanted so bad to meet this dog. Knowing I could either ride up to and crash into all 3 (my dog, the man and his dog) or jump off and use my body as a break to stop us from colliding, I chose the latter option and got banged up pretty bad (no broken bones) but road rash all over my knees and one arm/palm. That was the last time I went skateboarding with the family dog. Maybe solid obedience could have prevented it, but it was so long ago.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung RATI RATN RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page