eCollar contact question - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

eCollar contact question

I use Dogtra IQ Plus eCollars with my pups so that they can be off leash with me while running and walking in the woods without worry about them running after something. One of my dogs has thick fur around his neck so that sometimes I don't think the contacts reach his skin, even though I'm positioning it as advised by Larry Krohn, somewhat to the side of the larynx, and quite snug. I hate to have to always test to see if it is making contact, but many times I don't think it is. (No visible reaction to the stim, when usually I get at least a nod or small head turn.) I know the collar is on and working because it works on vibrate. I can also turn it up very high and then I get a small reaction. I usually then try to adjust the fit, not making it tighter because it is already so tight that my fingers will not easily go under the band, but by moving the hair out of the way of the contacts. Sometimes this works, but other times I have to keep adjusting. This is not good because I cannot depend on what level will work to simulate the dog. I don't want to turn it up real high, thinking it necessary to make contact, and then have it make contact and zap the dog inappropriately.

The other dog doesn't have these issues with a different collar, but identical brand. Her fur is a little shorter and not quite as thick, so I think the fur is the problem. I just don't know what to do about it. Has anyone else had similar issue who can offer some suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 06:23 PM
Crowned Member

It can be a bit of a struggle to get consistent contact on a dog with a really thick coat. My younger GSD is the first one I had to get different contact points for.

I use the next size up from what come standard on a Dogtra. I think his contacts are the 3/4 inch ones. A bungee collar can also help although I haven't needed one for mine. I know people with longer coated dogs who use bungee strap and the longer contact points.

Gundog supply sells the contact points.
techinstructor and Kyrielle like this.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Thecowboysgirl. I've contacted Dogtra to try to get more information on extensions or longer contacts. They also sell them at their site. I'm not crazy about the bungee strap idea.
Thecowboysgirl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:55 PM
Crowned Member

There is one style of bungee I don't like at all either, not sure if that is the one you mean.

This one I have used and liked it a lot:

https://www.ecollar.com/products/3-4...llar-33-length

I think these are the ones you'lll need but not positive the IQ takes the same contacts as the other collars, I don't use the IQ

https://www.dogtrainerstore.com/prod...nt=58843662923

Good luck
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 12:27 AM
Elite Member

I love this collar: https://k9tacticalgear.com/collectio...-collar-holder, along with the largest contacts. Until I got this collar and the larger contacts it was always a crap shoot.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:17 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
I love this collar: https://k9tacticalgear.com/collectio...-collar-holder, along with the largest contacts. Until I got this collar and the larger contacts it was always a crap shoot.
Ooooh I like this! I have not seen this before and I've shopped K9 Tactical a few times! The black part is an elastic portion of the collar strap?

My boy really does need a new strap I just haven't had an extra 30-40 bucks to dump on something
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:18 AM
Crowned Member

Oh bleh. It won't work.

"Dogtra Arc and Dogtra 1900s are not fully compatible with this collar. The shape of these collars causes the Quick Elastic E-Collar Holder to "flip" causing the contact points to lose contact with the dog's neck. The Arc collar is smaller and is more likely to work, but the 1900s can have issues. "

I use a 1900
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:13 AM

Hey guys, thanks for this thread! I have a dogtra IQ+ that has been collecting dust as I ran into the same problem as @techinstructor. I don't think the contact points are able to penetrate his fur so it is a crap shoot if it is going to work or not. I felt like I had to darn hear strangle him with the collar for it to work....so tried it once and stopped as I wasn't comfortable with that. Thanks so much for the insight here. Now that Jax is older I'd like to try again so that he can romp off leash at times. I am currently looking at this website:

https://dg.factoryoutletstore.com/ca...t-Points-.html (They have a sale running ATM btw....so if you need longer contacts now is a great time!)

So Jax has a short but very thick coat. Any advice on what length contact points I should get? Was looking at the 1" ones to be on the safe side but would love input from someone who has some experience before I order.

Will also be looking into the collar suggested by @ausdland Thanks!!

Pic below of Jax for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18months.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	516491  
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:36 AM
Crowned Member

My wife bought a Dogtra 2300 ncp to use with Ranger and could get it to work, but it was a struggle some times. Ranger being a coatie with super dense hair around his neck made getting contact a chore at times. I tried my ET300 which has a smaller receiver and had better luck, however keeping the hair out of the tiny buckle while fastening it is a pita. I've been contemplating using bungee like Cowboysgirl posted as see if that helps. I could see something like this helping to apply pressure more consistently.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 11:18 AM
Crowned Member

I’ve never had problems with a Dogtra unless it was too loose or in the wrong position or not fully charged. Charge it daily. Take it off the charger the minute it turns green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page