eCollar contact question - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:58 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
I like them too. Used to be the only place I could get the yellow foam ball on a leather strap which my dog is nuts for. Now Leerburg sells them but I feel like a traitor to buy it from Leerburg

I like that harness but I don't know why they attach the girth strap so far forward on so many harnesses? I got obsessed with this when trying to find a tracking harness that would not pinch my dog in the arm pits. He is like a mile long and every harness I tried rode up in his armpits. I finally found one that fits him. I really like the look of the Julius K9 Mantrailing harness for him but it is a little wishy washy whether it is allowed in AKC competition and I don't want to train in a harness I can't compete in or risk being told I can't go into the test in the harness he is used to, so I've never tried it
I've seen those yellow foam ball and leather straps before and been tempted, but the word "foam" sounds like it would be short lived? Will it last a while if used only during training?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:07 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Quote:
I like them too. Used to be the only place I could get the yellow foam ball on a leather strap which my dog is nuts for. Now Leerburg sells them but I feel like a traitor to buy it from Leerburg [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]

I like that harness but I don't know why they attach the girth strap so far forward on so many harnesses? I got obsessed with this when trying to find a tracking harness that would not pinch my dog in the arm pits. He is like a mile long and every harness I tried rode up in his armpits. I finally found one that fits him. I really like the look of the Julius K9 Mantrailing harness for him but it is a little wishy washy whether it is allowed in AKC competition and I don't want to train in a harness I can't compete in or risk being told I can't go into the test in the harness he is used to, so I've never tried it
I've seen those yellow foam ball and leather straps before and been tempted, but the word "foam" sounds like it would be short lived? Will it last a while if used only during training?
They last quite well unless you let a toy destroyer go to town ripping them up. They'll last 1 minute alone with a dog like that. But supervised tug and toss they do pretty well, I've used the same one for my male for a few months at a time.

There is a $6 cheapie version on chewy if you want to try it. The rope on those balls does not last, but it is the same ball. The leather does last
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
i was also going to mention the toggle switch on the remote, that selects which channel to use. Use the vibration mode to check which one is working, then check them make sure you havenít accidentally switched channels.

Yes, I do check that frequently because I switch back and forth between the two dogs. (I have messed up a couple of times and nicked the wrong one, fortunately on the low level.) I love being able to check it on vibrate but that won't let you know if the contacts are actually touching or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
They last quite well unless you let a toy destroyer go to town ripping them up. They'll last 1 minute alone with a dog like that. But supervised tug and toss they do pretty well, I've used the same one for my male for a few months at a time.

There is a $6 cheapie version on chewy if you want to try it. The rope on those balls does not last, but it is the same ball. The leather does last
I keep certain rewards put up and are for training only so that's how I'd use it. I have some yellow balls on what looks like heavy 5-50 cord, but the ball is heavy and I might give them or myself a concussion swinging it around, lol!

Where did you order yours?
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 04:02 PM
Crowned Member

i've bought both the yellow foam on a leather strap and the green chew ball on a leather strap from K9 Tactical, that was discussed in this thread.

For dogs that like to tug hard I do think the harder balls are maybe better to grab onto. But I still like the yellow foam ones and they are very popular with the dogs. The boarder dogs always want them so I keep the cheapies around for them because i don't want them wrecking my training toys.
Nigel likes this.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
The largest contact points you can get. Beautiful dog!
Thanks!
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Iíve never had problems with a Dogtra unless it was too loose or in the wrong position or not fully charged. Charge it daily. Take it off the charger the minute it turns green.
I charge mine about once a week and have only once let them get so low that they were blinking orange instead of green. However, after reading this I did charge the units and seemed to get better response with the original contacts so this might be part of the problem. I'll try to charge them more frequently in the future.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 06:55 AM

Thanks all for the advice here. I got the 3/4" contacts yesterday and tested them out to get a working level. It's amazing how smart these dogs are! I used it one time after a "no" on a low level to discourage him from pestering my smaller dog (a nightly affair unless she goes into one of the kids rooms) and he left her alone the rest of the evening lol. Also it's amazing how he spent the night listening perfectly to every command no matter how soft spoken......perfect down stay while I took out the garbage. Usually this looks more like down stay till I go through the door then I come back to him pawing at the storm door. I made sure to give him extra tug time and food rewards for good behavior while he was in the collar and, while he was more subdued, he was generally himself, just a more obedient version of himself lol. Proves he does know what I am saying and just chooses not to listen at times, grrr. Seems it may be a good tool to use when we have company and he has a hard time settling down. I cannot wait to start training him outdoors with this and be able to let him romp around off leash!

I'm still waiting for the new collar, but am able to use it even with the stock collar without feeling like I'm choking him now, so thanks again all!
techinstructor likes this.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 04:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinstructor View Post
I charge mine about once a week and have only once let them get so low that they were blinking orange instead of green. However, after reading this I did charge the units and seemed to get better response with the original contacts so this might be part of the problem. I'll try to charge them more frequently in the future.
I keep mine charged at all times and I donít use them much so the charge rarely gets low. Donít overcharge and they will last longer. I take the collar and remote off immediately when the light turns green. I dont leave it charging overnight.
techinstructor likes this.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 04:16 PM
Crowned Member

Do not use the remote if the other dogís face is near your dogís neck or he might blame the other dog for the shock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page