eCollar contact question - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 11:42 AM
Crowned Member

I think any ecollar not tight enough will have risk not working. I have found out winter coats make a difference to even in a dog with not long fur. Also being to concerned about the tightness leads to it not working. I find with winter coats in the winter time with no room for error- I had found out. It was colder weather I remember when max blew through the ecollar after a pack of deer when we were in woods near the house and left me and Luna in the dust. At first I thought it was low battery then realized his collar was not tight it could of been either one of those but mine beeps red when it needs to be charged. Those collars look nice with the stretch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 01-05-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 11:55 AM

Waited too long to edit. Please disregard the link in my previous post. Found them cheaper on Amazon!
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 12:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
I think any ecollar not tight enough will have risk not working. I have found out winter coats make a difference to even in a dog with not long fur. Also being to concerned about the tightness leads to it not working. I find with winter coats in the winter time with no room for error- I had found out. It was colder weather I remember when max blew through the ecollar after a pack of deer when we were in woods near the house and left me and Luna in the dust. At first I thought it was low battery then realized his collar was not tight it could of been either one of those but mine beeps red when it needs to be charged. Those collars look nice with the stretch.
Winter coats plus some dogs can have ridiculously dense coats, this is Ranger. Our Dogtra performs perfectly and so does our educator on other dogs, getting consistent contact using either with him has its challenges. I think the thinner collar on the et300 displaces a bit less hair making it a little easier to get tight, but then I find getting the hair out of the smaller buckle as real pain. It's a toss up really.
techinstructor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 12:32 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Winter coats plus some dogs can have ridiculously dense coats, this is Ranger. Our Dogtra performs perfectly and so does our educator on other dogs, getting consistent contact using either with him has its challenges. I think the thinner collar on the et300 displaces a bit less hair making it a little easier to get tight, but then I find getting the hair out of the smaller buckle as real pain. It's a toss up really.
I have a dogtra arc with longer Prong also -My first collar. I dusted it off also and finally got used to using that one to. I do have to put them both on tight and can’t be laxed. The price for safe freedom. I like the dogtra and garmin both. The dogtra toggle switch is a bit sensitive and I am sure to be careful with this.
Yes they can some really thick coats. Mine are still shedding and not sure where all this fur is coming from. Even wet fur and then air dried with salt water adds some extra body. Lol!
techinstructor likes this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 01-05-2019 at 01:19 PM.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxsMom View Post
Waited too long to edit. Please disregard the link in my previous post. Found them cheaper on Amazon!

Dogtra sells them for $4.49 each, though you may have to pay shipping.

https://www.dogtra.com/products/dogtra-parts

The dogtrainer store that TheCowboysgirl linked has them at the same price.

I like the webbing/elastic collar, though the price seems a little high. I might try to make one as I think I have all the components except for the buckle and I can get a quick release cobra buckle for a little over $10. I do like the idea and I think the webbing would be more comfortable for the dog that those vinyl one.

I'm going to try the longer contacts first. I'm going to start with 3/4" and if that doesn't work I can then try 1". Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has had these issues.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 04:53 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
Ooooh I like this! I have not seen this before and I've shopped K9 Tactical a few times! The black part is an elastic portion of the collar strap?

My boy really does need a new strap I just haven't had an extra 30-40 bucks to dump on something
Yes, short elastic section that keeps it snug but will expand with heavy breathing.
K9 Tach are awesome, nice ppl small family business, they make most of what they sell and I love the Defender harness too.
dogbyte and Thecowboysgirl like this.

Yana

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 04:54 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxsMom View Post
Hey guys, thanks for this thread! I have a dogtra IQ+ that has been collecting dust as I ran into the same problem as @techinstructor. I don't think the contact points are able to penetrate his fur so it is a crap shoot if it is going to work or not. I felt like I had to darn hear strangle him with the collar for it to work....so tried it once and stopped as I wasn't comfortable with that. Thanks so much for the insight here. Now that Jax is older I'd like to try again so that he can romp off leash at times. I am currently looking at this website:

https://dg.factoryoutletstore.com/ca...t-Points-.html (They have a sale running ATM btw....so if you need longer contacts now is a great time!)

So Jax has a short but very thick coat. Any advice on what length contact points I should get? Was looking at the 1" ones to be on the safe side but would love input from someone who has some experience before I order.

Will also be looking into the collar suggested by @ausdland Thanks!!

Pic below of Jax for reference.
The largest contact points you can get. Beautiful dog!

Yana

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:29 PM
Crowned Member

i was also going to mention the toggle switch on the remote, that selects which channel to use. Use the vibration mode to check which one is working, then check them make sure you haven’t accidentally switched channels.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
Yes, short elastic section that keeps it snug but will expand with heavy breathing.
K9 Tach are awesome, nice ppl small family business, they make most of what they sell and I love the Defender harness too.
I like them too. Used to be the only place I could get the yellow foam ball on a leather strap which my dog is nuts for. Now Leerburg sells them but I feel like a traitor to buy it from Leerburg

I like that harness but I don't know why they attach the girth strap so far forward on so many harnesses? I got obsessed with this when trying to find a tracking harness that would not pinch my dog in the arm pits. He is like a mile long and every harness I tried rode up in his armpits. I finally found one that fits him. I really like the look of the Julius K9 Mantrailing harness for him but it is a little wishy washy whether it is allowed in AKC competition and I don't want to train in a harness I can't compete in or risk being told I can't go into the test in the harness he is used to, so I've never tried it
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:29 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
I like them too. Used to be the only place I could get the yellow foam ball on a leather strap which my dog is nuts for. Now Leerburg sells them but I feel like a traitor to buy it from Leerburg

I like that harness but I don't know why they attach the girth strap so far forward on so many harnesses? I got obsessed with this when trying to find a tracking harness that would not pinch my dog in the arm pits. He is like a mile long and every harness I tried rode up in his armpits. I finally found one that fits him. I really like the look of the Julius K9 Mantrailing harness for him but it is a little wishy washy whether it is allowed in AKC competition and I don't want to train in a harness I can't compete in or risk being told I can't go into the test in the harness he is used to, so I've never tried it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page