Ecollar Suggestions? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 12:04 AM
Crowned Member

Many dogs get collar smart and you will need it for a much longer time. To break Deja from chasing wildlife I bought the Dogtra but it took me about two years before she was consistent without the collar. Initially it worked like a charm but then she got 'collar smart' so I had to keep it on every time we went outside until lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:50 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
Why Dogtra? Range, consistent contact?
I've just used this brand for about ten years and had very few issues...one did have to be sent back to the manufacturer for a refurb but that was a unit that I had accidentally driven off with on top of my car and it got flung down the highway and still worked afterward but eventually developed some inconsistent issues. Can't say that's their fault as I did fling it off the top of my car at 60 mph.

They do everything I want or need them to do- I really like the new stream lined receivers, especially the Arc for little skinny noodle neck dogs.

One thing is petty- I just can't stand that goofy round remote that Mini Educator uses. That isn't going to fit in my "remote pocket" on my training vest, and it's stupid looking. And this is the other thing--- I have heard an ethical complaint against that company but I have no way of knowing if it's true or not but considering who I heard it from it probably is.

Dogtra has more levels-- 127 vs 100, and considering I work most dogs under 20 I figure that makes a difference. It won' be a huge difference but if they split the juice 100 ways or 127, 127 is going to have smaller increments.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:17 AM
Crowned Member

Tritronics/Garmin. You can buy a reconditioned one at collarclinic.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 10:20 AM

Check out GunDog Supply they have a lot of good info on e-collars and some more affordable than others. I like Garmin/Tritronics. They have excellent customer service, and have stood up to a lot of wear.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Another reason to buy a good name brand model - if you end up truly not needing it after you reach the proofing threshold you're after, they retain their resale value very well.

Used Educators/Dogtras/Garmins get snapped up fast, for good money. $50 pet store brands, not so much.

Keep the case, keep the instruction manual, keep all parts and pieces, sell it for cash when you're done.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 10:55 AM

Sport Dog Trainer.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 11:19 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Don't buy a cheap one. Save your money and get a good quality collar. You will be using it daily for awhile. Then find someone who can show you the correct way to use it. For now, dog stays on some type of line.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 12:07 PM

I own two Educators - One mini E-300 and one PE-902 (PE allows multiple collars). My shiba is e-collar trained. Katsu is not (but she has a great recall). I agree with finding a trainer that can show you how to properly acclimate the dog to one of these tools.

I bought the mini Educator for $170 and I know I can at least make $100 back when I choose to sell it. I barely use mine unless I take all three out to the fields (puppy stays on a long line, shiba on e-collar, Katsu off leash) but I believe it's well worth the money.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung RATI RATN RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018

Last edited by Katsugsd; 12-17-2018 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like I'll just pass on getting one for now, seems like there isn't much for what I'm looking for. I don't need advice on how to use one and such. If there aren't any good models at decent prices I just won't worry about it. Thanks for the good intentions though everybody, but continuously advising over budget collars doesn't do me much good.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 03:58 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Check the collar clinic. They might have a good refurbished collar that is closer to your budget.
Nigel likes this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page