Ball substitute? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ball substitute?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a retrieving substitute for a ball? Something that doesn't bounce and stays put when you toss it like a bean bag. My dog is recovering from a torn Iliopsoas so I have to keep it low key for a few more months.
And no she doesn't have the obedience to stay at my side until I release her but I will be working on that with something less exciting than a ball.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 05:50 PM
Elite Member

How about a stuffed toy.. Just make sure it doesn't get torn up and eaten.. Hope your dog heals fully and quickly
ausdland likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 06:13 PM
Crowned Member

I wouldn't throw anything for her yet. If she's like Doc, she "attacks" it dead or alive so it doesn't matter if its bouncing or still. If she's ready to run in her rehab, substitute recalls letting her run by and snatch it as she goes past. Ball on a string, just turn sideways and hold it out away from you, head high so she doesn't jump for it. Start close so she doesn't come too fast if she hasn't done it before. Thats a good warm up too, along with stretching.
Cassidy's Mom and ausdland like this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineni7 View Post
How about a stuffed toy.. Just make sure it doesn't get torn up and eaten.. Hope your dog heals fully and quickly
Thanks. Quickly definitely not, fully I'm praying so. 10-12 month recovery.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
I wouldn't throw anything for her yet. If she's like Doc, she "attacks" it dead or alive so it doesn't matter if its bouncing or still. If she's ready to run in her rehab, substitute recalls letting her run by and snatch it as she goes past. Ball on a string, just turn sideways and hold it out away from you, head high so she doesn't jump for it. Start close so she doesn't come too fast if she hasn't done it before. Thats a good warm up too, along with stretching.
Thanks Steve, I was hoping to hear from you. And yes she attacks it hard which is why she had a soft tissue injury in the front as a pup. You suggested the same thing then.. Waiting until next year for her to run, just starting to trot now. The PT suggested short retrieves after the new year so just thinking about a ball substitute that doesn't bounce for short tosses. Maybe you'll be kind enough to teach me how to keep her at heel and wait to retrieve until I release her?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 06:26 PM
Crowned Member

I never really managed to keep Doc's butt on the ground to be honest, Lol.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
I never really managed to keep Doc's butt on the ground to be honest, Lol.
I saw your video, he was fine.
Will take your advise to hold off on retrieves until the Spring.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 06:49 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know if this would help, but I call this game "old lady fetch" and I do it with my old dog who I can no longer throw toys for the traditional way. She will run and crash and hurt herself.

I scatter a few morsels on the ground and while she hunts for those, I toss the ball a short distance. She does sometimes canter but mostly she trots to get it. I do it inside on agility mats or outside in grass, grass even better because it takes her longer to find the food and sometimes she can't see the ball immediately in grass and has to sniff for it.

She did have the obedience to stay during a throw at one time... and I made the mistake of thinking it was still there with no practice after a long time and she broke her stay and charged after the ball and of course came back limping and that's the last time I tried that.

Old lady fetch works for my dog because after being on steroids she's food crazy and she will ignore the ball toss while she gets her little treat. I use her ziwipeak to do it and just take out of her dinner whatever she eats while playing so she doesn't get fat. I'm sure you know whether your dog would blow off the food to get the ball
ausdland likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 07:41 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
I wouldn't throw anything for her yet. If she's like Doc, she "attacks" it dead or alive so it doesn't matter if its bouncing or still. If she's ready to run in her rehab, substitute recalls letting her run by and snatch it as she goes past. Ball on a string, just turn sideways and hold it out away from you, head high so she doesn't jump for it. Start close so she doesn't come too fast if she hasn't done it before.
I wouldn't throw anything either. Do you have anyone who can restrain her for recalls once she's cleared to run? Cava runs for her tug, but most of the time I don't even try to catch her on it, I do what Steve mentioned, letting her grab it as she runs by. She circles back to me and then we play together. Restrained recalls are the first thing we do with dogs who are rehabbing from an injury in flyball.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 07:54 PM
Crowned Member

When the time comes... I like these: https://www.chewy.com/chuckit-flying...yABEgKTUPD_BwE
ausdland likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page