Walk'r Elctronic Leash Dog Walking Training Collar - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By dogma13

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Walk'r Elctronic Leash Dog Walking Training Collar

With the posts on Wolfy Dog’s recent thread from people who are coping with joint issues and the need to find an easier way to do things with their dogs, I thought I would share Baron’s latest collar, the Walk'r Electronic Leash Dog Walking Training Collar. I will fess right up and say, I took the easy way out or the lazy dog walker’s. All the years of using the front ring harness with Sting really spoiled me. The harness did the work leaving me to enjoy the walk. This is working with Baron who has a great respect for electricity. So I will put in a note right now, that for anyone who reads this and is opposed to e-collars, this is not for them. For those who are open to their use, and have discovered like me, that it is difficult to use both the leash and the e-collar remote together especially when I need both hands to control Baron in a strong pulling mode. This collar is great. It is activated when the dog pulls. First the dog gets a nick, then after a few seconds, if the dog is still pulling, the correction starts and increases. For a safety feature, like regular e-collars it does time out after 10 seconds. There are 3 levels. I am amazed at the result. Baron responded to the low level. The collar is comfortable and needs to fit loose in order to work. The prongs, though short, work well with his long coat. It has put the enjoyment back into the walks for both Baron and me. I can now use the long 8 ft. leash, let him loose leash walk, sniff, and enjoy the trails. I ordered it from Gun Dogs Supply and they do have a 30 day return policy. This is the link and there is also a video.

https://www.gundogsupply.com/walkr-by-eltrex4.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 10:41 AM

Wow!What'll they think of next?Maybe new software and a phone app."Alexa walk the dog. "

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
Wow!What'll they think of next?Maybe new software and a phone app."Alexa walk the dog. "
Or perhaps a dog walking robot complete with pooper scooper!

Seriously, this collar aside from making it easier to walk a dog who is a stubborn puller, would be helpful for those with arthritis, shoulder, arm, or wrist injuries. It can be used with a hands free leash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 11:35 AM

Those of us with arthritis(me too)and various other afflictions that comprise our strength and athleticism need to come up with methods to interact and train our dogs without doing damage to ourselves.The end goal being our dogs are engaged with us,responsive and obedient.To US the owners,not the tool.
I do wish there was a contraption that would clear the yard of dog waste then dispose of it.Solar powered dog waste roomba
lhczth, Sabis mom and car2ner like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
Those of us with arthritis(me too)and various other afflictions that comprise our strength and athleticism need to come up with methods to interact and train our dogs without doing damage to ourselves.The end goal being our dogs are engaged with us,responsive and obedient.To US the owners,not the tool.
I do wish there was a contraption that would clear the yard of dog waste then dispose of it.Solar powered dog waste roomba
Yes, I agree but I would much rather be able to enjoy walking Baron and use this tool which he respects, rather than be miserable. For months, I tried with the corrections, stopping, the rewarding, the figure eights, the circling and so on. That did not stop the pulling. My intent in posting this thread was to share a tool that makes life easier for those of us who are coping with a stubborn dog who is a strong puller and also those of us who have health issues that can be aggravated by a pulling dog rather than rehoming the dog or giving up walking the dog. Years ago, I knew 2 people who did give up. They both had labs who were strong stubborn pullers. One simply installed a dog door and fenced in a portion of the yard, that was the dog's exercise. The other who told me that when in frustration his lab would not stop pulling on a walk, and he ended up beating the dog with the leash, he was so shocked at his reaction, that he stopped walking the dog. She was kept in a kennel and let out only to run around his small yard when he was home to watch her.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 12:10 PM

Additional Option

I am on my 2nd German Shepherd training with the Gentle Leader. It is like night and day when they walk with me on it as opposed to off of it. I can use 2 fingers to hold the leash, even with other dogs walking towards us. Without it, I am pulled all over and struggle to hold them. The important part is to train them properly with it at the start, and the company even feels so strongly on that initial training that they provide a DVD. I tell everyone I see with a pulling dog about the Gentle Leader. Oh, the large pet stores usually offer a 30 day return policy if you don't like it. Ask them about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Yes, I agree but I would much rather be able to enjoy walking Baron and use this tool which he respects, rather than be miserable. For months, I tried with the corrections, stopping, the rewarding, the figure eights, the circling and so on. That did not stop the pulling. My intent in posting this thread was to share a tool that makes life easier for those of us who are coping with a stubborn dog who is a strong puller and also those of us who have health issues that can be aggravated by a pulling dog rather than rehoming the dog or giving up walking the dog. Years ago, I knew 2 people who did give up. They both had labs who were strong stubborn pullers. One simply installed a dog door and fenced in a portion of the yard, that was the dog's exercise. The other who told me that when in frustration his lab would not stop pulling on a walk, and he ended up beating the dog with the leash, he was so shocked at his reaction, that he stopped walking the dog. She was kept in a kennel and let out only to run around his small yard when he was home to watch her.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 12:17 PM

What I want to know is how do you show the dog that it is the pulling that sets of the stim, rather than the car they just passed or the cat that happened to wander by. I'm sure they must have some sort of teaching protocol.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 01:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Or perhaps a dog walking robot complete with pooper scooper!

Seriously, this collar aside from making it easier to walk a dog who is a stubborn puller, would be helpful for those with arthritis, shoulder, arm, or wrist injuries. It can be used with a hands free leash.
I have lost much of the use of my right arm, I am in constant pain and I also have balance issues related to old injuries.

There is no reason to not train your dog. I have, over the years used an easywalk harness, a halti and an e collar. (the last was a hope that Shadow could run loose, it failed)I commonly use a martingale and on some dogs a choke. Shadow trains on a prong.
All of those are tools that I control. A collar that does the correcting for me makes me nervous. What is the dog learning and what is the long term response? Is the dog learning that walks are no fun and that any time they need to sniff they get corrected?

Of course, I also don't like anti lock brakes, traction control or skid control steering.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I also had concerns that Baron would associate the stim with the what he was pulling towards. But that is not the case. When he sees a squirrel, and since he is on a long leash, I stop, he goes towards it but then turns and comes back to me. I praise him and have him sit, and then continue the walk. It seems to work very gently and does allow for normal interactions, like when he pulls over to piddle or sniff. It corrects the excessive pulling. The video does explain that this collar is to be used in conjunction with training.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

This is Baron wearing the Walk'r and enjoying this afternoon's walk. The harness is just a regular harness that I use to attach the seatbelt tether to.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page