Do you think it's rude to... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

So I was walking my boy, using a head halter which has been working great. He still tries to scratch his face to take the halter off still trying to adjust, but I correct him everytime and he's getting used to it. He heels nicely next to me and even if he pulls, he's not able to.

As we were walking, I saw a woman (trying to) walk her mixed-breed pup, small to medium size around 30-40lb. She was almost screaming repeatedly 'HEEL! NO! STOP IT! STAY! NO!' and I saw her (being frustrated as she was) sort of lift the leash up out of frustration that her dog literally hangs from it.....

So as I walked pass her and the dog I smiled and striked up a conversation about out neighbourhood and casually slipped in, 'Hey by the way have you tried a head halter?' she didn't know what it was so I explained it briefly and pointed out the halter that I was using on my dog (as she was trying to have her pup sit). I also mentioned how hard it was to train my dog who is also still a pup to heel. She listened and said thank you and wished me a good walk. Then I walked ahead. I could still hear her shouting and shouting repeatedly until I've walked further and further.

Normally, I'm not the kind of person who would randomly strike a convo and try and give advice, even if I saw a person bring dragged and dragged by their pulling dog. Honestly I don't give advices unless asked. But. In this case. When I saw her pup literally hanged like that (I'm 100% sure she didn't mean it, but you know how frustrating it can be to have your dog pulling and pulling!) I was like, I had to at least step in and say something.

..... Do you think it's rude that I stepped in like that? I acted out of the unusual but... I was hoping she'd at least try what I had suggested...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 04:13 PM
Crowned Member

I don't find that rude, I find it kind and well intentioned.

I guess if she had told you to mind your own business then you would know advice was not welcome, lol.

A word of caution though, head halters should never be used on dogs that are prone to flipping, spinning or dogs that fight restraint. The risk of a severe neck injury is huge!
Jax08, Nigel and Femfa like this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks sabismom for your kind words. Yeah... Luckily she was nice enough to listen...

Yeap. He's getting a lot better though. We walked for 40 mins, he tried to scratch it off 3 times as opposed to 15. Hahah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 05:02 PM
Crowned Member

I think most on here won't support you regarding unsolicited advice. They take it as an insult in that you are insinuating they don't know what they are doing despite how much they may be struggling in any situation.

IMO, it is better to keep an open mind and be open to what other people have to say. Sometimes other people just might know something that you don't. Who knows? Maybe that person offering the advice might Cliff or Bailif or Slam among other knowledgeable people.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 05:16 PM
Crowned Member

I think the "rudeness" is relative to how you approach the issue, much like anything else in life. If the person was receptive, obviously they didn't think you were rude. And she might go home, think it over and look for a new solution.
Sabis mom and Sunsilver like this.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Crowned Member

1. “Correction” is subjective of course, but as a general rule, dogs should not be corrected while wearing head collars.

2. Perhaps the woman does intent to take your advice. Unless you handed her a head collar on the spot, she still had to manage her unruly dog for the duration of the walk.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 05:22 PM
Crowned Member

Personally, I like to teach people to teach the dog to release to the pressure of the leash. Just like a horse releasing to the pressure of the reins. No gimmicks, not equipment.
tim_s_adams likes this.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 05:54 PM

I'm not going to go into my opinion on head halters but as far as giving unsolicited advice, people may say "yes thank you" but seldom follow through. The other day I was walking my big boy and on the other side of the street was a lady with two dogs about half my boy's size. My boy was curious but was good about taking my command not to stare. It was hard for both of us since one of her dogs was not paying attention to anything that lady was shouting at her dog and it was at the end of the leash barking its fool head off. I really really really wanted to give her advice but we just moved on. I praised my boy for doing so well once we were past the commotion.

Now if that same lady is not in a confrontation with her dogs and strikes up a conversation some other time, I'll gladly share some advice. Timing is key.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 06:11 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

If it went down the way you say, no it wasn't rude.

I not one for taking unsolicited advice. It annoys me, but sometimes, if given correctly it can make me think about something.

For example, was at PetSmart, my boy Nix on a loose leash with a prong collar, being a good well behaved dog, someone came up and told me it would better if I used a harness. I ignored them. They were being nosy and rude.

Now if he had been being a jerk and someone came up and said " gorgeous boy! He is really excited to be here huh? Have you tried a harness? I found it helped my exuberant boy not be so hard to manage" then I may have listened.

So it's all in how you approach the person.
Jax08 likes this.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 06:35 PM
Crowned Member

Few people are going to implement advise the first time they hear it. Maybe when someone else mentions that specific equipment or method, they will try it. You're kinda planting seeds.

Even in training, there's information I use and information I don't use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page