Bag to Carry Everything for Walks...? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Bag to Carry Everything for Walks...?

This is such a dumb question, I know.

I'm trying to train my two 1.5 year old GSDs to walk well on leash (I'm taking them separately, one at a time). I've been doing it on and off their whole life, but I haven't been consistent. I'd like to really start being consistent, though. I've read great advice on here about training them not to lunge/charge/bark at people and not to pull on leash. I think I have the basic idea of how to do it, but now I'm like, "I need to bring so much stuff on walks!" I'll need to bring poop bags, treats, and toys. My female will ignore treats on walks, but I haven't tried a frisbee or tug toys with her. She loves those.

Anyway, how do I carry all of this, while also needing to carry my phone and ID?

Any cool bags that hold all that stuff? Belts? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 12:24 PM
Crowned Member

https://www.amazon.com/Rewards-Delux...38593097&psc=1
emcale likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 12:25 PM
Crowned Member

I have an old leather fanny pack. It has a large main pocket for poop bags, nylon muzzle and an extra leash, plus smaller front pockets that hold treats, my phone(which is in a case that holds my id, debit card and a bit of cash)and granola bar for me because I get sick if I expend to much energy between meals. I also can loop her basket muzzle on it if I need or want to remove it.

I know it is not stylish but it keeps everything handy and the pouch I use for treats is right at the front so they are accessible without fuss.
emcale likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 12:56 PM

Are your dogs big enough/old enough to carry some of it for you? We have a Ruffwear backpack that one of our dogs wears, which I use to carry my keys, phone, poop bags, and extra treats. The treats I need more immediately I keep in a bait bag around my waist.

I keep a big ziplock baggie in the dog backpack, too. When one of the dogs poops, if there isn't a trash can nearby, instead of carrying the poop bag (which takes up valuable hand space!) I double bag it inside the ziplock. Then the dog can carry that, too, until we find a trash can -- and the ziplock helps lock in the stink.

Just a thought I like the backpack because it also gives the dog something to do -- he's "working"!
emcale likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 12:58 PM
Crowned Member

Backpack for the dogs

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 03:40 PM

I wear a gardening vest. This one has a good number of generous pockets and even a spot to put my phone so that I can easily hear podcasts or music during walks without using headphones.
https://www.duluthtrading.com/womens...est-14752.html

I can carry all kinds of things with this vest.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 07:54 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

This is my favorite treat bag too. There are multiple pockets both inside and out. the main compartment will hold way more treats at a time than you'll need, and will also fit a ball on a rope. A clicker can be attached to one of the D-rings, and the side pockets will fit poop bags, lip balm, and other small items. I slip my phone into the inner velcro pocket. It sticks up above the top of the bag, but I like the easy access since I use a program to track our mileage, which I pause for rest/water stops, and I can quickly pull it out to snap a photo or shoot some video then just drop it back in. The back zipper pocket will fit a trail map if you're hiking, and I leave $20 of emergency cash there too. My drivers license and regional park pass goes in the front velcro pocket, with room for a CC, ATM card, or gas card.

One reason I like this bag better than many others, in addition to the design and roominess is that it has a magnetic closure rather than side hinges, which always eventually break. If it's super full it won't close all the way, but because it's deeper and less wide than most bags stuff isn't going to fall out. I replaced the original belt with a SPIbelt, which holds my car keys. Depending on how big your phone is, the large pocket SPIbelt can be used for your phone instead: https://www.amazon.com/SPIbelt-Large...ing+belt&psc=1

At a year and a half, they're old enough to wear a backpack if you want them to carry some of the bulkier stuff. And since you're walking them separately you could just buy one and have them share as long as the same size would fit both. I have Ruffwear packs for my dogs and they're great. Cava is too young for a backpack, but when she's older she can either wear Halo's Approach or Keefer's Palisades pack, depending on how big she gets. In the meantime, I have a fanny pack with two water bottles and a small bag between them which holds a collapsible water bowl.
emcale likes this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, everybody! Awesome suggestions. I love the vest, large fanny pack, and dog backpack ideas. I am going shopping
car2ner likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:18 PM
Knighted Member

I don't carry much less than you but i do plan how to carry it.

• Phone - back pocket, if I bring my ID it will be inside the phone case but I my ID usually stays in my wallet. I don't need it to walk the dog.
  • Poop bags - 4 poop bags (actual poop bags, not grocery bags) - front right pocket
  • Keys - left at home in a hidden location outside
  • Treats - right front pocket in a small ziploc baggie, I don't bring a lot and a dog the size of a GSD will be lucky if they get a treat half the size of my pinky nail when they do good
  • Toys - rarely bring them but tugs I'll pull through a belt loop and I've carried frisbees I've tucked into my waist band at my back
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelas View Post
I don't carry much less than you but i do plan how to carry it.

[*]Toys - rarely bring them but tugs I'll pull through a belt loop and I've carried frisbees I've tucked into my waist band at my back[/LIST]
You know a true dog lover when they have a slobbery tug tucked into the back of the pants at the small of their back.
Cassidy's Mom and Sabis mom like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page