Recommendation for a slender, lightweight, non hair pulling, muzzle with good airflow - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By DaBai
  • 3 Post By DaBai
  • 2 Post By Craig Caughlin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Recommendation for a slender, lightweight, non hair pulling, muzzle with good airflow

Jafco muzzle doesn't allow sufficient breathing and the air inside the muzzle liquifies when she breaths harder, wire muzzle pulls hair from her snout where the padding meets the nose, and this bumas is a terrible fit. I think the fit problem we tend to experience is due to my girl has very slender snout but has high panting circumference. Looking for muzzle recommendations for muzzles with a slender build.

The muzzle will be used mostly when we jog as a safety precaution for other dogs who chase after us and for small children who she likes to chase and nip. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	44391575_2088615998121476_3018728583016218624_o.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	513295   Click image for larger version

Name:	44496521_2088615861454823_2239937049589186560_o.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	513297   Click image for larger version

Name:	44569159_2088616258121450_5149460157754769408_o.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	513299   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180328_111743.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	513301  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 01:41 PM

How old is she.... she looks young.....

I would work on training because no dog should have to go through that in public....,
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
How old is she.... she looks young.....

I would work on training because no dog should have to go through that in public....,
She is 2 years old and fairly well trained, she walks well on leash and is calm on our walks with passing ppl and dogs as long as the dogs are not too close and not charging at her, she also has a dog walker. I rarely encounter a serious problem but I am not taking risks with off leash dogs and small children when I am jogging and my mind is not focused on the surrounding. And I disagree, muzzle in public can be great and I even know a dog trainer who recommends muzzle train all dogs
dogbyte likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Just an update, we contacted Bumas regarding the fit, and they re-adjusted the muzzle for her, and now it fits perfectly All is good now! I highly recommend Bumas for their customer service.
Sunsilver, Femfa and CometDog like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:38 PM

Great!

Well, we use a Baskerville muzzle. I had to order twice-first size was too snug. Their nose should not be pressing on the front of the muzzle! I saw that was uncomfortable for my dog, and I realized I forgot to add the recommended "extra wiggle room" of half an inch when I measured his muzzle length. With Baskerville, they say to hold it under warm water and you can reshape it to fit your dog better. Ours was a little too narrow (I guess my dog has a big ole wide nose...)

Greyhounds wear basket muzzles to race, so I think most basket muzzles give enough airflow for daily activities!

(Mine only wears his for handling at vet).

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:29 PM

How about from Ray Allen?

https://bit.ly/2S22pyh

Craig
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:34 PM

I almost forgot. We also have some local folks that make some really nice quality, hand-made gear that's very popular with local folks, law enforcement, etc.

https://bit.ly/2FWHO7X

(916) 652-8333 or [email protected]

I have a really nice, braided, hand-made leather leash I purchased for (I think) about $50.

Craig
DaBai and das1 like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
Great!

Well, we use a Baskerville muzzle. I had to order twice-first size was too snug. Their nose should not be pressing on the front of the muzzle! I saw that was uncomfortable for my dog, and I realized I forgot to add the recommended "extra wiggle room" of half an inch when I measured his muzzle length. With Baskerville, they say to hold it under warm water and you can reshape it to fit your dog better. Ours was a little too narrow (I guess my dog has a big ole wide nose...)

Greyhounds wear basket muzzles to race, so I think most basket muzzles give enough airflow for daily activities!

(Mine only wears his for handling at vet).
Yeah you are right, the bumas people recommended that my dog should get a nose-free version too so when they adjusted the muzzle to make it more slender, they also made it nose-free! I attached a photo of her in her new adjusted muzzle.

I tried Baskerville too and I think it is a great muzzle for occasional use, but for frequent use I notice my dog starts to have bruises on top of her nose where the muzzle sits. But thanks so much for the recommendation, it is interesting to know Baskerville can be reshaped under warm water
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page