Positive Isn't Working (Prong Question) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post

If your girl loves to sniff and track while hiking, this may be just right for you. It has been an amazing confidence builder for my boy and me and it is something that he loves doing so his mind is on the sport instead of other people and their dogs.

My gal, once she learned what man-trailing / tracking was, she loved it. In fact today we had one heck of a track through rough woods, muddy streams, under fallen logs, past thorns...and we had a ball!
Heartandsoul likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 12:55 AM

I have one of those dogs to, Alyssa. I am a 25 year old female of less than 50kg, and I own an 8 month old male pup of 34kg who happens to be reactive. Then again, right now we are seeing the light for the first time. He started like this around the time he got better from Parvo, before it, he was quite social, he loved people and smelling small dogs.

We tried to fix it with a trainer at group classes. It was a terrible mistake. The trainer got him scared many of the first classes. But he got to a point in which he could be in "stay" even next to other dogs, with me and other people walking around in the class. In the class he was close to perfect, out of it, he was a mess.

We stopped going to those classes cause of mine and my sister's schedule, also because we personally hated our pretentious trainer and because I lost my better income and got a not so good one with my job. But we learned a few things from there, like walking with a leash, and putting up and using a prong (he made sure we knew how and when to correct). He also kept saying our pup is a nice dog and we should trust him (from his good lines).

So, after we left the class, I bought a front ring harness and a Herm Sprenger prong. We started working confidence with the harness and a martingale, we took him to lonely places, with no more than a person or two every once in a while. We explored and allowed him to explore.

Then we got to the point of walking around parks, with kids, dogs and people, but kept our distance from them. We would only enter the park at 3 or 4 in the afternoon when close to no one was there. He loved it. So, we kept working, getting closer to the park when people was there. Till the point, we finally got in. We just kept our distance inside the park.

Then we started with the prong. Now we walk inside the park closer to people and dogs with it (kids and people have gotten really really close sometimes, there was even a kid that came straight to us in a bike and asked to pet him, we said No, and our puppy remained sitted just 10 inches from the kid and bike). We feel more confident and he feels more confident. My sister and I, we are really nervous people, so we might had transfer some of that to him before, but we are trying our best to control ourselves. Sometimes we shoot videos of each other to see what we do wrong. We take him to an outdoor mall sometimes, and he is doing far better now.

On a side note, my dad also walks our puppy, and he is bigger and with more experience with GSD (never a reactive one though), but he walks the pup with regular flat collar most of the time, and he gets quite good results lately. He gets reactive, but my dad says No and he calms till the point he is down or sitted while my dad talks to people out there, he also has a great recall with my dad.

We are not in a perfect spot now, and I do wonder if a should muzzled him to get him to interact with other known pups (not sure yet, but sounds like an idea), but we keep working. We use a lot of treats, and we keep things with the prong. The prong collar makes things better when it comes to his size and strength. He is also pretty focused when he uses it. We make sure the leash is not tight and he does not get corrections when he does not deserves them. He loves to see the prong collar out, cause it means he is going places (and he loves going places haha). Other than what our trainer said and instructed us, we have read a lot of articles and forums and everything online (in english and spanish), we keep trying things, and keep trying them (he is still quite reactive in the front house fence, crazy mode), but other than that, our walks and outings are far far better. I do not need a dog that loves people/dogs, just want him to know they have the right to breath around him.

To make my point. Things get better, but with a lot of patience and the tools you need.

ps. We are not from the US.
Jax08, dogma13 and car2ner like this.

Last edited by CAROLINM; 10-14-2018 at 01:21 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 12:23 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
My gal, once she learned what man-trailing / tracking was, she loved it. In fact today we had one heck of a track through rough woods, muddy streams, under fallen logs, past thorns...and we had a ball!
This is so off topic but that made me chuckle. I go into off beaten path woods just to give us alone time breathing space. The muddy streams, fallen logs and thorns are just a plus.
dogma13 likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 05:59 PM

You have been given a lot of good advice on this thread. I too have a dog that can be reactive around strangers. (She gets all wiggly and acts like a flock of seagulls but I recognize it as her way of dealing with the anxiety of the situation.) We do take her out to public places but keep her on a short leash. When strangers try to come up to her, especially children, we tell them NO and sometimes we have to be adamant about it. Some people ask and some don't but if I'm alert and I can avoid most situations. I also often use a head halter on her when out and about. The halter, e.g. Gentle Leader (which she hates, btw) serves as a distraction and she will then revert to what she's been trained to do. Once she gets used to a place, I can usually forgo the halter. It might help you if you know you are going to be in a crowded environment that would be stressful to the dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page