• 1 Post By car2ner
  • 1 Post By Aly
  • 1 Post By Mei

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Equipment to Challenge the Noggin

Figured this is best suited in this forum. I purchased a few puzzle/brain developing games and this is Mei's first encounter with it. She's gettin pretty smart!

What other toys/games have you all got for your german shepherds to challenge them???

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 12:44 AM
Knighted Member

I've never bought anything like this, but it's very cute, and I can't wait to see how long it takes her to master...so please film and share!
Mei likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 01:11 AM
Elite Member

I play frisbee with Nitro every morning in tall grass, in some places the grass is longer than he is tall. He has to keep his eye on the frisbee when its flying, and has to use his nose to track 'that critter' when it lands. Nitro loves it, his tail wags hard when he's 'finding it', and then he has a triumphant procession when bringing it back to me for the next throw.
Mei likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 07:25 AM
Knighted Member

"Find" in general is a good thing. I play "find" where I hide objects for the dog and I also hide myself and he has to find me. I also play a shell game kind of "find" where I have three boxes and put a little piece of hot dog under one of them and then the game starts again. But, in addition, you can also try to teach other things while you are doing these games. I put my dog in a "down" and then say "Wait" while I run and hide the object or myself and then say "Find it" or "Find me." When I see that they have located something, I am starting to say "Sit" to indicate that as an alert.

Also, teaching new tricks, like how to open a door, go through your legs like a tunnel "high 5" and "pick it up" etc.

Your video is precious, by the way. Where on earth did you find that puzzle? I would love to get Rocky one..
Mei likes this.

Last edited by newlie; 04-12-2018 at 07:28 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 08:22 AM

Very nice concentration on the busy box! If you do Facebook there is a Canine Enrichment group.

I taught my dogs to Find Coffee (long story) and they get a slice of crunchy apple when they find and indicate the mug. I also taught them to Find Laundry / Bring Laundry. I tend to drop socks and underwear on the way to the washing machine, accidentally-on-purpose. They do that for little bits of meat or Red Barn roll. I also do a little bit of tracking, trailing, and general running around the garden. In the summer they help me Bring Buckets to the hose so I can use them to water plants. I use feed buckets from Tractor Supply. Those are inexpensive and sturdy. My big-boy destroyed a plastic watering can in one summer.

I taught my dogs right paw / left paw. I taught them to speak on command and to whisper (tell me a secret). If you can make all of these things a game, there is a wealth of stuff you can do as brain games.
Mei likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 01:34 PM
Aly
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
I taught my dogs to Find Coffee (long story) and they get a slice of crunchy apple when they find and indicate the mug.
That would be so helpful in the mornings! What's the story?

OP, I too would love to know where you found that toy.

Aly
Mei likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
That would be so helpful in the mornings! What's the story?

OP, I too would love to know where you found that toy.

Aly
I got three of them from chewy. They were fairly inexpensive too. If I remember all I did was search something like 'puzzle game dog toys' and they came up.
Aly likes this.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlie View Post
"Find" in general is a good thing. I play "find" where I hide objects for the dog and I also hide myself and he has to find me. I also play a shell game kind of "find" where I have three boxes and put a little piece of hot dog under one of them and then the game starts again. But, in addition, you can also try to teach other things while you are doing these games. I put my dog in a "down" and then say "Wait" while I run and hide the object or myself and then say "Find it" or "Find me." When I see that they have located something, I am starting to say "Sit" to indicate that as an alert.

Also, teaching new tricks, like how to open a door, go through your legs like a tunnel "high 5" and "pick it up" etc.

Your video is precious, by the way. Where on earth did you find that puzzle? I would love to get Rocky one..
Thanks for sharing! I didn't even think of using the a word such as 'find' in these games. I'll start doing that. She's learned so much in such a short time it is awesome. 'Down' took a little over a week though. I am still working on 'stay/wait' as I move to a further distance. She'll stay until I'm about 5 feet away, then she comes before I get to where I want to have her come. Once I start walking away her head tilts, tail starts waggin and won't stay lol. She'll learn it I'm sure! Oh, she's responding very well to roll-over. Beg is hard on our floor, laminate, for her. Her but starts sliding, she loses her balance and falls backwards. It actually was pretty funny when she fell backwards because she still a pretty unbalanced loopy puppy.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
I've never bought anything like this, but it's very cute, and I can't wait to see how long it takes her to master...so please film and share!
Got a few of these from the Chewy site. Not too expensive! I bought three and a small toy for the free shipping!

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page