Car crating options for large GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Car crating options for large GSD

Hi all,

I would really prefer to crate my Amazonian sized dog in the car but am having trouble finding something that fits both him and my smaller sized SUV. A 42" wire crate is just barely too big for my car height wise and a 36" wire he is pretty cramped in. Is there a 40" wire crate out there??

I recently bought a 40" Vari Kennel, but I didn't realize that the inside dimensions are only about 33" length wise, so I think he seems too cramped. He's really long! He can stand and sit in that alright though. I'm attaching a picture of him laying down in it without the door closed - too small right?

I feel like I'm running out of options and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas! Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9048_1520977673657.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	487745  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 06:57 PM
Crowned Member

I put a 42" in my Rav4 but getting it in and out takes finagling. No, there is no 40", I've looked. You can have a custom one made or look at some of the higher end aluminum crates.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 07:49 PM

I am kinda in the same boat, having just purchased a new Nissan Rogue last week. I wanted to put a 40(L) x 27(W) x 30(H) plastic travel crate in the back, but have since discovered that 30" is too high, as my panoramic moonroof's thick bulkhead drops the available height down to 29.5". (doesn't help that the rear seats don't fold down completely flat, so we do lose substantial headspace because of this) So far, I have been unsuccessful in finding a 40" plastic crate that is less than 29" tall. So I think we may have to settle for a soft-sided one, as they are only about 28" tall... I'm not too worried about Sheba chewing/scratching her way through the material, as to date she has never damaged anything at all.

But in my lengthy search I have seen 40" plastic crates with an inside measurement of 38.5", so perhaps this extra 5.5 inches may work for you, Finneas1?

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 12:38 AM

Crates for the car can be smaller than what you would keep at your house.
I have a 36" varykennel and a 36" wire crate that I use in my CR-V (one at a time lol) and I haven't had any issues with dogs not fitting (I volunteer in a rescue and have had at least 20 different dogs in them).
Granted, our trips are usually short, 30 minutes is probably the longest.
dogfaeries likes this.

Did you deserve your dog today?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Yahoo!! Wanted to share what I found that worked in case it will help others later on.

I got a Midwest Solutions Series SUV crate. Comes in 42" length with 30" height (just barely finagled that in by assembling inside the car) but is narrower than a normal crate so you can angle it if need be. Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9060_1521133277314.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	488145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9059_1521133292974.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	488153  
marksteven likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 02:00 PM
Elite Member

It is admittedly expensive, but I am getting one of these. Reasons..it fits in multiple SUVS in case I get a different vehicle..when the dog isn't in the truck and I want to put stuff on the cargo area, I can just open the gates instead of having to remove a big crate. Plus, it locks so if I want to have air flow while parked in a safe area (like day long pistol matches I run and go to) I can park in shade and leave gate open, For the inside I have a regular adjustable SUV gate that keeps them out of the passenger area.

https://www.petprosupplyco.com/products/mim-variogate
marksteven likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 04:24 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
It is admittedly expensive, but I am getting one of these. Reasons..it fits in multiple SUVS in case I get a different vehicle..when the dog isn't in the truck and I want to put stuff on the cargo area, I can just open the gates instead of having to remove a big crate. Plus, it locks so if I want to have air flow while parked in a safe area (like day long pistol matches I run and go to) I can park in shade and leave gate open, For the inside I have a regular adjustable SUV gate that keeps them out of the passenger area.

I'd rather have the dog secured in a crate.

Snitches get stitches.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:03 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
Specific reasons? I did not pull the trigger on it yet so I definitely want to hear any cons.

Another thing I should mention is I sometimes have my 2 dogs with me and 2 crates side by side in my Pilot means I have to lower the 2nd row so can't do both dogs and 3 kids, unless I just leave both dogs free in back....but another main reason is any of the secure heavier duty crates are way too heavy for me to put in and out of the truck on a regular basis and I am usually on my own. These bars on this gate thing are pretty heavy and the way it is braced you would have to dissemble a lot before removing it.

TBH, he goes spare if I am not around and someone approaches his crate in the back. He watches them walk by and they can say hello, but no touchie the crate. I would *hope* that anyone with the handling skills to push past that to steal him, would be least likely to steal a dog.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 09:44 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post

Thats where i bought mine, the XXL for my Malinois and Shepherd, Petpro, ships fast, great folks.

RAMSEY 10/07

Mark.o
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 09:45 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
The variocage is a Crate. Its the safest design with Locking Hydraulic assist doors.

RAMSEY 10/07

Mark.o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page