German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   Car crating options for large GSD (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/735737-car-crating-options-large-gsd.html)

Finneas1 03-13-2018 05:49 PM

Car crating options for large GSD

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I would really prefer to crate my Amazonian sized dog in the car but am having trouble finding something that fits both him and my smaller sized SUV. A 42" wire crate is just barely too big for my car height wise and a 36" wire he is pretty cramped in. Is there a 40" wire crate out there??

I recently bought a 40" Vari Kennel, but I didn't realize that the inside dimensions are only about 33" length wise, so I think he seems too cramped. He's really long! He can stand and sit in that alright though. I'm attaching a picture of him laying down in it without the door closed - too small right?

I feel like I'm running out of options and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas! Thank you!

Jax08 03-13-2018 06:57 PM

I put a 42" in my Rav4 but getting it in and out takes finagling. No, there is no 40", I've looked. You can have a custom one made or look at some of the higher end aluminum crates.

camperbc 03-13-2018 07:49 PM

I am kinda in the same boat, having just purchased a new Nissan Rogue last week. I wanted to put a 40(L) x 27(W) x 30(H) plastic travel crate in the back, but have since discovered that 30" is too high, as my panoramic moonroof's thick bulkhead drops the available height down to 29.5". (doesn't help that the rear seats don't fold down completely flat, so we do lose substantial headspace because of this) So far, I have been unsuccessful in finding a 40" plastic crate that is less than 29" tall. So I think we may have to settle for a soft-sided one, as they are only about 28" tall... I'm not too worried about Sheba chewing/scratching her way through the material, as to date she has never damaged anything at all.

But in my lengthy search I have seen 40" plastic crates with an inside measurement of 38.5", so perhaps this extra 5.5 inches may work for you, Finneas1?

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Evohog 03-14-2018 12:38 AM

Crates for the car can be smaller than what you would keep at your house.
I have a 36" varykennel and a 36" wire crate that I use in my CR-V (one at a time lol) and I haven't had any issues with dogs not fitting (I volunteer in a rescue and have had at least 20 different dogs in them).
Granted, our trips are usually short, 30 minutes is probably the longest.

Finneas1 03-15-2018 01:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yahoo!! Wanted to share what I found that worked in case it will help others later on.

I got a Midwest Solutions Series SUV crate. Comes in 42" length with 30" height (just barely finagled that in by assembling inside the car) but is narrower than a normal crate so you can angle it if need be. Hope that helps!

CometDog 03-15-2018 02:00 PM

It is admittedly expensive, but I am getting one of these. Reasons..it fits in multiple SUVS in case I get a different vehicle..when the dog isn't in the truck and I want to put stuff on the cargo area, I can just open the gates instead of having to remove a big crate. Plus, it locks so if I want to have air flow while parked in a safe area (like day long pistol matches I run and go to) I can park in shade and leave gate open, For the inside I have a regular adjustable SUV gate that keeps them out of the passenger area.

https://www.petprosupplyco.com/products/mim-variogate

cloudpump 03-15-2018 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CometDog (Post 8954057)
It is admittedly expensive, but I am getting one of these. Reasons..it fits in multiple SUVS in case I get a different vehicle..when the dog isn't in the truck and I want to put stuff on the cargo area, I can just open the gates instead of having to remove a big crate. Plus, it locks so if I want to have air flow while parked in a safe area (like day long pistol matches I run and go to) I can park in shade and leave gate open, For the inside I have a regular adjustable SUV gate that keeps them out of the passenger area.

I'd rather have the dog secured in a crate.

CometDog 03-15-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloudpump (Post 8954169)

Specific reasons? I did not pull the trigger on it yet so I definitely want to hear any cons.

Another thing I should mention is I sometimes have my 2 dogs with me and 2 crates side by side in my Pilot means I have to lower the 2nd row so can't do both dogs and 3 kids, unless I just leave both dogs free in back....but another main reason is any of the secure heavier duty crates are way too heavy for me to put in and out of the truck on a regular basis and I am usually on my own. These bars on this gate thing are pretty heavy and the way it is braced you would have to dissemble a lot before removing it.

TBH, he goes spare if I am not around and someone approaches his crate in the back. He watches them walk by and they can say hello, but no touchie the crate. I would *hope* that anyone with the handling skills to push past that to steal him, would be least likely to steal a dog.

marksteven 03-17-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CometDog (Post 8954057)

Thats where i bought mine, the XXL for my Malinois and Shepherd, Petpro, ships fast, great folks.

marksteven 03-17-2018 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloudpump (Post 8954169)

The variocage is a Crate. Its the safest design with Locking Hydraulic assist doors.