Car crating options for large GSD - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksteven View Post
The variocage is a Crate. Its the safest design with Locking Hydraulic assist doors.
The discussion is about the Variogate, not the Variocage. Not sure of how much differences there are in safety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 12:37 PM

Seems like the gate is a good idea, but first time you slam on your brakes, your dog is going to go flying around. Crate is more confining, and safer.
marksteven likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 12:46 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksteven View Post
The variocage is a Crate. Its the safest design with Locking Hydraulic assist doors.
The link is for a variogate. Different than the crate....
marksteven likes this.

Snitches get stitches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 06:49 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
The link is for a variogate. Different than the crate....
Gotcha

RAMSEY 10/07

Mark.o
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finneas1 View Post
Yahoo!! Wanted to share what I found that worked in case it will help others later on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finneas1 View Post
I got a Midwest Solutions Series SUV crate. Comes in 42" length with 30" height (just barely finagled that in by assembling inside the car) but is narrower than a normal crate so you can angle it if need be. Hope that helps!
Just a heads up, I have heard of these style crates folding in accidents. Anyone have any info they can find? Everything I research points to airline crates.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 11:21 AM
Elite Member

I did get the gate, and I love it. It is best for me for a few reasons, and this is why forums are good. Different perspectives and things maybe you would not have thought of.

It isn't as secure as a crate FOR THE DOG, but it will have to do. My reasons were I can't fit 2 regular airy metal or airline crates side by side without losing the 2nd row for my kids, and I could not find a single crate that had enough room for 2 dogs, excpet for the huge varicrate. With the gate, when I do not have the dogs I can still use the cargo space without having to ask for help moving very heavy crate/s out of truck. The double crate versions of these are very big and very heavy.

But this was the big reason quite frankly, this will only sound awful to people who are not kid people I suppose...but if I am rear ended hard with my kids in the 2nd row, I'd rather the dog flew around than have 2 big heavy crash rated crates slam into the backs of their seats/heads. The passenger area divider gate is very light and secured to headrests with zip ties. My dogs are pretty stay put dogs. The passenger area divider gate is more to keep them off the leather seats.

Sometimes with kids and dogs and lots of planned fun trips you just have to do what is the least bad lol

My set up. In addition to varigate I have a horse stall mat I have to pick up from the farm supply store, a reflective tarp made specifically for keeping kennels and cars cooler, and a Ryobi 18 v fan that is great. Bought an extra rechargeable battery for it as well. Ready for the summer:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180421_180746.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	496209   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180421_180842.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	496217   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180422_165743.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	496225  
car2ner likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 11:34 AM
Elite Member

Oh and yes I did check with Honda. The limit for each anchor is 65 pounds minus gear weight. The crash crate is 82 pounds and dogs are 85 and 60 pounds. So almost a full 100lbs over what the cars say the anchors can handle. So all that came into play.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 03:37 PM
Crowned Member

My small horse rides in a 700 Impact 🙂 I had a truck already so he has his own apartment in the cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page