Harnesses For Car Safety - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
The best paracord breaks at around 550lbs - fine when many of them are used in a parachute as the pressures are not sudden deceleration. I would expect a 75lb dog suddenly decelarating from 60mph to weigh about 5,000 lbs. 2" webbing has a tensile strength of about 14,000 lbs so it would take 9 strands of paracord to be adequate and 25 to equal 2" seat belt webbing and none of this takes into account the stretch which is significant with paracord. I would say a lot of physics involved. Stretch is good in that it absorbs energy. To much stretch would let the harness slip off if the buckles held.

I don't see the problem with using the shoulder belt as it is designed to lock with sudden stress and adds a little more shock absorbency to the system.
Doesn't the strength of something double when woven into a thick belt? So about 5 pieces of paracord woven into a strap should cover the 5k lbs, no? If not, 10 pieces of paracord?

As for stretch, what about shock cord then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 03:26 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
Doesn't the strength of something double when woven into a thick belt? So about 5 pieces of paracord woven into a strap should cover the 5k lbs, no? If not, 10 pieces of paracord?

As for stretch, what about shock cord then?
My concern was that paracord would be TOO stretchy. There are so many variables and you only have one chance, if ever, to *test* it properly with a live dog. That was all. I don't know why the strength of something would double when woven. I know knots are the weakest point in a rope. Just points for consideration..........

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Huh, my experience with paracord is that they are stiff with barely any give... And well, it's tougher to break a bundle of branches than one by one. I thought that concept applied to rope too

How do the companies do crash tests for dogs anyway? Are the dolls weighted down to simulate a dog's weight?

Last edited by Feathers; 06-02-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 10:56 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I was just trying to raise some points for consideration. My dogs always travel in welded dog boxes.

Paracord Info: Everything You Wanted to Know about Paracord

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

I can't consider welded dog boxes because our cars are leases lol. Very interesting article there. I'm tempted to go strap up a boulder and throw it from a high point just to see if straps made of paracord will indeed break. Stringing up a hammock is quite different to having the hammock itself made of paracord, I would say... Thanks for bringing up those points.

I still wonder about a dog's stress points on their bodies though. Like what makes sledding harnesses comfortable for them? Where do THOSE straps lie on the dog?
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 11:10 AM
Crowned Member

Feathers, Nancy is right. Read carefully the tensile-strength testing that's needed for a crash (where the velocity creates a huge force on the material). In this 2013 sticky thread about crash-worthy harnesses, I went through all the tensile tests that were then available for these products (some mfrs actually posted their tensile test results on their websites):
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...seatbelts.html

The V9DT industry standard back then was 2 to 6 inches/minute & 2,500 lbs for an dog under80 pounds, or 4,400 lbs for a dog over 80 pounds. It may have changed, but if it did, it would likely be to raise it. Even products that satisfied this 2013 standard were failing the crash tests though.

This is why seat belt material is made the way it is. Also, thin parachute cords, even woven together, would likely be able to cut into the flesh in a crash. Some early crash tests showed pets would be decapitated by the material used in some of the harnesses.

This is not a DIY project, IMO.

The crash tests are done on a sled in a lab with a stuffed animal that can be weighted to match whatever size of pet they're testing for. They look a lot like crash testing for humans. The videos are very interesting -- esp. the early industry failures, which were pretty spectacular.
wombat likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 06-03-2017 at 11:13 AM.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so basically, either I buy 2 different harnesses, one for now while she's still smaller and one for when she's an adult, or wait until she's full grown and risk her safety now?

Holy crap this is a lot of considerations for a harness lol x.x
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 10:00 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Once you start having these puppers you wind up with an assortment of various sized crates, harnesses, collars etc. ............
DutchKarin likes this.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Are there harnesses that can safely be adjusted to smaller or larger sizes of dogs? I'm not sure we can afford to buy TWO harnesses... heck, just the idea of buying one is making us wince...
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
Are there harnesses that can safely be adjusted to smaller or larger sizes of dogs? I'm not sure we can afford to buy TWO harnesses... heck, just the idea of buying one is making us wince...
The Kurgo harness is not too expensive and adjustable. We went through two harnesses or each dog. If you are part of a club, you might be able to borrow the puppy size as many people hang onto them even though their dogs have outgrown them.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page