Well that didn't work! The prong collar lessons - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well that didn't work! The prong collar lessons

I was going to buy a prong. Then an acquaintance of my handed over one he bought and never used.
I have watched the videos, read everything I could find. I was careful to fit it properly and keep it in the right place. It doesn't slide, slip or move. It sits right under her jaw, chain directly behind her ears. I attached the leash and went through the teaching her to yield to it and worked on it in our basement playroom.
Then I sucked up my positive attitude and headed out. Got to the gate, she tried to pull through, I corrected and the fight was on.
She yelped first which made my stomach turn, but I was told to expect it. Then she went rodeo on me. She tried to back out of it, she threw herself on the ground, she tried grabbing the leash, she barked at me, she tried pawing it off. I just let her fight and tried not to put pressure on the leash.
She gave up fairly quick and we proceeded out on our walk. She isn't giving me much attention, but she walked nicely on a loose leash and showed some respect. We passed a bird, she looked but kept walking. We worked on some obedience and she was quick and responsive. After 20 minutes I was feeling pretty good. Then we saw the dog.
I kept walking gave her a couple of reminders, and should have been warned by her compliance I guess.
She doesn't care about corrections when other dogs are involved apparently. The other dog was ignoring her, not adding any fuel.
To be fair her response was limited to barking this time, and I managed to put her in a sit and keep her there. But when we were still walking, she lunged, I corrected and she went nuts. Up on her back feet, air snapping and snarling, diving and lunging. It was only when I put her in a sit that she came in off the ledge.
I think I waited to long to correct her? Either way clearly that backfired. Her response was worse then normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

One thing stands out to me. You just put it on and went out to see what would happen. If you're going to work on something or introduce something like the collar, it needs to be controlled and done in a way that you can do one thing at a time. I would have gone through some introduction time with the collar and no distractions first. This is something to think about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUNg-Vmdme4
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 04:34 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
I think I waited to long to correct her?
Sounds like it. My DA pit bull would get more revved up and reactive if I gave a physical correction while he was in the zone so to speak.

Pain and adrenaline just put him more into drive. I physically could not give him a hard enough correction to get him out of it. I had to correct for showing any interest in other dogs period. He didn't get to look at them.
Slamdunc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 04:38 PM
Crowned Member

Watching every video and reading every book doesn't really prepare you for the real thing. Next time more work inside and then don't give the dog so much room to dart and discover a hard pop on his own before he's ready.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 05:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I attached the leash and went through the teaching her to yield to it and worked on it in our basement playroom.
I kinda missed what I was trying to say Sabis mom. More along the lines of what Baillif is saying, teaching her to yield to a tight line whether its a prong or not isn't the same as a pop. The feeling on her neck, the emotion from you, the physical action of it all is different in her perception.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 06:15 PM
Crowned Member

adding to what the others have said... there's also no need to suck up your positive attitude - if I'm understanding you correctly. my attitude when working my dogs is the same whether I have a clicker and treats or a prong collar on. my goal for all training sessions is to be fun, upbeat, positive and engaging. dogs live in the moment... if the need comes to correct them, I do what I need to get their focus back on me, then return to the positive as quickly as possible. no anger, frustration, grudges or anything.

I never leave my house expecting or looking for the opportunity or reason to correct. engagement and rewards is always a priority.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 04-29-2016 at 06:18 PM.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 06:38 PM
Crowned Member

Well I am sure there might be better ways to do this but I am introducing it to my puppy on a double ended lead, one clipped to his regular collar. That way if he loses it over something or charges out and I don't want him to hit the prong that hard, I can catch him on the flat collar and then correct him on the prong if I need to at whatever level I choose vs his just hitting the collar full force. What you described was exactly what I didn't want my puppy to do

I have been working him in low distraction environments and actually haven't had to catch him with the flat, but it does make me feel better knowing I could.

He isn't reactive to other dogs but just recently realized how big and strong he is and did rear up like an idiot flailing around when we passed my neighbor's dog (that he knows and plays with) this is obviously not acceptable behavior, he was just being a fool and he will do the same thing on his head halter so I knew it was time to kind of lay down the law and let him know his little rearing routine won't fly with me. I think he learned it because she ran up to him offleash once and they started trying to play while I was walking him.

I took him to the park where I can see other dogs coming and put the right amount of space where he gets a little excited but not too stupid and I can let him know with the prong that he can't be throwing his weight around with me.
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 06:51 PM
Crowned Member

I have not had any bad reaction to the prong and my dog is dog reactive. I correct before as a reminder to keep himself together
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 06:57 PM
Crowned Member

Patience and practice. It takes a while to learn how to use one. I make sure my dog understands what it's going to feel like when he gets to the end of the leash. We used it in the yard with no distractions for about a week before I tried it on a walk. I also use it in obedience, in a controlled environment.
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well, thanks for the feedback.

Let me clear up a few things though.
I have been using it for 3 days in the basement and the yard. I didn't just 'slap it on and go'.
I never let her run to the end of the leash and figure it out herself. She was walking nicely beside me on a few inches of slack.
I am fairly sure that I misread her initial compliance when she saw the dog and waited to long to correct, because when she saw the bird she looked but didn't react.

I will go back to just the yard for now, and keep trying.
I don't have access to a trainer at the moment, she isn't spayed so no one around here will work with her. So I read and watch, because that's all I can do. I realize that it isn't a perfect system but it's all I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page