Well that didn't work! The prong collar lessons - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 03:55 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
I have a dog park a block away. But do I want to take her there with the prong on? Or just her muzzle and harness?
Shadow has been attacked on leash a few times, so I don't blame her for being dog aggressive. It also seems like dogs react oddly to her. Dogs that I KNOW are good with other dogs attack her.
Thank you
Dogs react to the signals she is giving off. As an example, my female growls at dogs that she thinks are invading her space. I use a controlled cageless kennel to dogs it when I'm out of town. My dogs are used to it. The owner told me my female has very good dog communication skills and her growls aren't aggression but are her way to taking to other dogs. The other dogs respect her and she has never had a problem there. Somehow your dog needs to develop skills so she is not making herself a target.

I don't like dog parks because you are turning over a fearful dog to a set of random circumstances. Unless the dogs are all friendly and have good dog skills, you can make it worse. Once you remove the leash, you have no control over what the dog experiences. All it takes is one attack to cause even more problems than you already have.

I find it much easier to train when someone shows me what to do and I can copy it. Since you can't access a trainer, you need to become skilled on your own. There are very skilled trainers here offering to help you. Steve is one. So is SlamDunc. Listen to them and others and ask questions. I'm not a trainer but I have trained a lot of my own dogs with varying levels of success.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 04:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
At a distance with a plan though LS. Not just putting on a muzzle and going into a dog park is all I meant.
Definitely! I also take a lot of time with my dogs. It can be repetitive and boring for me, doing the same thing over and over again. My GSDs are smart dogs, but they learn and reinforce by rote. The more I do something right, the more solid it becomes but it takes a long time. I watched a Jeff Gellman video and he said it takes about one year to be solid on a challenging task. That is in line with what my trainer says. If we can prevent our dog from being reactive for a year, we can be sure the behavior has been learned.

A muzzle is just a piece of plastic. We need to learn to use it correctly.

Last edited by LuvShepherds; 05-01-2016 at 04:12 PM.
post #43 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 04:11 PM
Crowned Member

Typo in my cageless kennel post: "dogs it" should be "dog sit."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
You aren't over your head. You're just hunting around looking for a fix. Stick with obedience. You tell her to sit, she has to sit. Eventually no matter what else is going on. At some point she has to just deal with whatever, but its a lot easier to make the obedience solid, then slowly add the problems like any other distraction.
So keep doing what I'm doing? Baby steps, stay on top of the obedience, keep distractions at a distance for now? I can edge her closer to the dog park without taking her to it.

We are out 3-4 times a day for 15-20 minutes, staying close to home, gradually increasing distance from her safe place and trying to avoid dogs getting to far into her zone.
I see no signs of stress or fear, in fact when I pick up the prong she gets excited and wants to go. I think the fights we had the other day were part surprise and part just bratty 'don't tell me what to do'.
post #45 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 04:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
So keep doing what I'm doing? Baby steps, stay on top of the obedience, keep distractions at a distance for now? I can edge her closer to the dog park without taking her to it.

We are out 3-4 times a day for 15-20 minutes, staying close to home, gradually increasing distance from her safe place and trying to avoid dogs getting to far into her zone.
I see no signs of stress or fear, in fact when I pick up the prong she gets excited and wants to go. I think the fights we had the other day were part surprise and part just bratty 'don't tell me what to do'.
Do that for six months or a year. The more successes you have, the more she will like it. It's not a quick fix.
post #46 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Do that for six months or a year. The more successes you have, the more she will like it. It's not a quick fix.
I am not looking for a quick fix. I feel bad that I waited so long to try this. But honestly as soft and skittish as she was as a young dog, I don't think this would have helped. I have done a lot of building her confidence and up until probably a year ago me frowning turned her into a quivering, cowering mess.
post #47 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 06:57 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I am not looking for a quick fix. I feel bad that I waited so long to try this. But honestly as soft and skittish as she was as a young dog, I don't think this would have helped. I have done a lot of building her confidence and up until probably a year ago me frowning turned her into a quivering, cowering mess.
It would have helped but you can't go backwards. Keep doing what you have started. My special trainer said the earlier you start working on fears the sooner your dog gets over them. I found when I had one problem one time, it was usually the dog but if I had the same problem with more than one dog, I was the problem, not the dog. We tend to think we are doing the right things so we do more of the same when the dog needs a different approach.

Once I listened to the trainer that I am the problem, the dog isn't, I was more open to making distinct changes. We had a class trainer who didn't like my dog's reactive behavior in the class setting. I explained reasonably that if they didn't allow the other dogs to bark at my dog, mine would not be misbehaving. The trainer stopped the lesson, told me that there are no excuses in dog training, and I needed to fix the problem or leave. I was shocked and very upset, as you can imagine. But once I got over being embarrassed publicly, I called our private trainer for a one on one and found out the class trainer was right. Rude, but right.

That's when I started doing what I explained above. I never needed it with my earlier dogs because they were all easy, nonreactive, mellow and confident dogs. But I did have a few problem rescues and looking back, I know it was partly my stubborn fault.

It's very hard to come in here, expect support and then hear we have screwed up. I posted a while ago about my dog barking at a child in a store and I corrected him. The consensus was that I should have walked away. When it happened again in class, and I called the trainer, he said the same thing, that the people here on the board were right and I was wrong.
post #48 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 07:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
In general, because there's always exceptions to everything, clarity brings confidence. Be consistent. And I'm not a trainer. I'm a truck driver.
post #49 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
In general, because there's always exceptions to everything, clarity brings confidence. Be consistent. And I'm not a trainer. I'm a truck driver.
Some of my favorite people are truck drivers I work for FedEx!

Whatever you are I appreciate the advice and guidance. I just want what's best for my dog.
post #50 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

And we just came back from our last walk for the day. Got within a quarter block of a yappy little dog and all I got was a huff and a bounce. I corrected, turned back the other way and she settled right in beside me! Trotted along like she'd been doing it all her life. Kids playing, nothing. Guy watering his lawn, nothing. Birds flying in front of her, nothing.
More importantly when I pick up the prong she is excited! Wants me to put it on her so we can go. Need to work on toning down the excitement, but I am pretty happy with things so far.
ksotto333 and dogma13 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page