2013 Update on Crash-Worthy Seatbelts - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 02:07 PM

I have looked at the sleepy pod and at first I really liked it. the fact that it has a 3 point attachment.
BUT after viewing the crash test...I can't help but notice that all the "dog dummies" are always in a sitting position and not lying down...I mean how many dogs do you know that sit in the rear of the car?

I know my dog does not sit up in the car - especially not on the long drives - he lays down. I wouldn't mind too much if the harness was somewhat restrictive and didn't allow the dog to sit up. But surely a dog should be able to lie down on long drives? My concern is that with large dogs this couldn't be done on therear seat.

I mean it is physically impossible for my dog to lie down on the back seat and face the direction of driving (like humans do when we are in the car). But if the dogs lies on the seats than it is not facing the direction of the drive and if there is an accident - wouldn't the rear end of the dog be propelled forwards and so the dog could brake his spine? I mean I would fell a lot better if the car safety was designed so that something would also hold back the dogs rear end from catapulting from the seat...(so more like a 5 point adjustement)

Just my 2 cents I think this is the problem with all the crash tested dog seat belts. They are tested as if dogs were sitting in the car...

But I could see how this harness could be good in the back of the caravan car (in the trunk part) as there my dog would be able to lie down facing the direction of the driving...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rino View Post
I have looked at the sleepy pod and at first I really liked it. the fact that it has a 3 point attachment.
BUT after viewing the crash test...I can't help but notice that all the "dog dummies" are always in a sitting position and not lying down...I mean how many dogs do you know that sit in the rear of the car?

I know my dog does not sit up in the car - especially not on the long drives - he lays down. I wouldn't mind too much if the harness was somewhat restrictive and didn't allow the dog to sit up. But surely a dog should be able to lie down on long drives? My concern is that with large dogs this couldn't be done on therear seat.

I mean it is physically impossible for my dog to lie down on the back seat and face the direction of driving (like humans do when we are in the car). But if the dogs lies on the seats than it is not facing the direction of the drive and if there is an accident - wouldn't the rear end of the dog be propelled forwards and so the dog could brake his spine? I mean I would fell a lot better if the car safety was designed so that something would also hold back the dogs rear end from catapulting from the seat...(so more like a 5 point adjustement)

Just my 2 cents I think this is the problem with all the crash tested dog seat belts. They are tested as if dogs were sitting in the car...

But I could see how this harness could be good in the back of the caravan car (in the trunk part) as there my dog would be able to lie down facing the direction of the driving...
The problem with using this particular harness in a cargo area of a SUV or van would be negating the third point, so it would only be connected by two points minus the third point which is the seatbelt. If you used the seatbelt in the back seat a SUV/van even folded down you probably would still be able to use the seatbelt possible as the third point which wouldn't allow the dog to turn 180

Delgado cannot do a 180 in my car, and wouldn't be able to using the seatbelt as the third point either unless he decided to become extremely acrobatic in the small space provided

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Knighted Member

Here's another safety harness to add to the list. It got good reviews on the TV news the other day.

Clickit by Sleepypod

Sleepypod® Clickit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 06:43 AM
Crowned Member

2013 Harness Study Results | Center for Pet Safety

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
Thanks very much for that link.

Based on the research above, which seemed quite comprehensive, I was seconds away from ordering a Kurgo, now I'll have to revisit things. I'm quite surprised at the ones that failed, which up to that point, I would have guessed would have been the best performers.

I'm referring to the Bergan and Kurgo (Enhanced Strength) harnesses. Instead, they both had Catastrophic Failures in the 75 pound weight category!

The Sleepypod Clickit Utility was the one they rated as a top performer.

Working line female born Feb. 2011
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 01:55 PM

PS A few more things, for those who want to make decisions. The Sleepypod harness uses the LATCH anchors in the back seats, so make sure your car has them. It could make connecting the harness a bit more work I suppose, as you have to unclick that, and some cars, the anchor is tucked in the seat fold, so not super easy to reach. It's MSRP is $100 also, vs. $30 or so for the Bergan and Kurgo.

Working line female born Feb. 2011
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Thanks very much for that link.

Based on the research above, which seemed quite comprehensive, I was seconds away from ordering a Kurgo, now I'll have to revisit things. I'm quite surprised at the ones that failed, which up to that point, I would have guessed would have been the best performers.

I'm referring to the Bergan and Kurgo (Enhanced Strength) harnesses. Instead, they both had Catastrophic Failures in the 75 pound weight category!

The Sleepypod Clickit Utility was the one they rated as a top performer.
I am very happy with my Kurgo purchase. I bought the enhanced strength- the one tested for up to 85 lbs. It's like $75, but they frequently send coupons codes. You can see my review on their website, last I checked it was the only one

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

Last edited by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO; 02-27-2014 at 02:04 PM.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 06:54 PM
Master Member

Sleepypod has since developed a harness that does not need the LATCH system. It is called "Clickit Sport". (The one that attaches to the Latch system is called "Clickit Utility."
It also got a 5 star rating from the Center for Peet Safety, passed the crash test with flying colors, certified for 75 lbs.
Sleepypod Clickit Sport - Center for Pet SafetyCenter for Pet Safety
Sleepypod® Clickit Sport | Top performing Dog Harness | Dog Safety

FKA RunSarahRun
Chip v. Dog Pound (border terrier), CGC
Elly v. Rescue (GSD, GSRNE 346), HI(C), CGC, TT
RIP: Feli, Iris, Dago (GSDs), Bubi (spitz), Tanja and Robin (mutts)
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 08:45 PM
Crowned Member

I've used rough rider for years - Although there are plastic buckles incorporated, they are not the stress points - they just help adjust the harness. And it is easy to put on if you ignore their directions.
1. It is basically a figure 8 harness
2. take the section of the 8 with the handle on it, slip it under the dog - up the butt putting the tail and back legs in the "O" of that section of the 8.
3. Move it up to the arm pitts.
4. Pull the smaller section of the 8 under the dogs chest between it's front legs and over the dog's head.
5. Slip loops together (ie longer loop through smaller loop) (each section of the 8 has a loop.)
6. Fasten non weight bearing buckle.

It's easy, it goes fast once you get the hang of it. And the dogs help because it means "Car Ride!"

If you haven't got a roadie in hand, these instructions will make absolutely no sense to you!

Happy trails!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page