2013 Update on Crash-Worthy Seatbelts - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I'm ordering a Rough Rider to evaluate for my big 80# guy. I'm a little skeptical because it's supposed to require a very precise fit (only a few inches of "give" for adjustments). We'll see.
I actually ended up getting the Canine Friendly Safety Harness (RC Products) for the big (80#) guy. It was relatively pricey, but it's simpler to get in and out of than the Roadie, and it's crash tested an an appropriate weight. I'll report back on my thoughts when it arrives. It sells on Amazon for around $67 (compared to about $30 for the Kurgo Enhanced Strength).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Tests On Dog Harnesses Show 100 Percent Failure Rate CBS Miami

They don't name brands tested, but claim 100% failure rate in crash tests on all.
If you look at my research above, it was in response to that. That's the whole reason for this research escapade!

They tested 4 brands. Since that test, SOME brands are releasing their own independent crash tests on redesigned products, and their own tensile strength tests from independent labs. Others are not doing it. The goal of this thread is to find the GOOD ones--there's been a some movement in this product category since that report came out. The idea is for us to collectively keep track of which companies are being responsible and testing (and ideally, releasing results), and which aren't -- instead of throwing up our hands and saying to heck with car safety.

Last edited by Magwart; 06-30-2013 at 08:57 PM.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah I had a Roadie for my previous dog but I didn't like it because it was too difficult and annoying to put on. Since it was a snug fit it also required me to pull her leg up in an awkward position to put the harness on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

FOLLOW UP:

I've been using the Canine Friendly Safety Harness (RC Products) harness on my large male all summer. I really like it! I think it's worth the extra cost: it's easy to use; it's a heavy, substantial product with a thick, fleece-lined chest-piece; most importantly, it's crash-tested at 75#.

I am neutral on the Kurgo Enhanced-Strength product. I've been using for the smaller dogs. It's okay for my 45# dog, but I like the slide-in metal buckles a lot less than the click-to-connect metal buckle in the Canine Friendly product. The Krugo harness feels less substantial in my hand--I'm also concerned that the chest piece covers a lot less of the dog's body, concentrating more force in a smaller area, as compared to the Canine Friendly product.

Here are some pictures to illustrate the difference (keep in mind the red Kurgo is for a dog under 50#; the silver Canine Friendly is for a much larger dog).

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Crowned Member

Sleepypod is coming out with a new dog seatbelt harness that looks really interesting. It was crash-tested to 75 lb dogs and uses a 3-point restraint.

They have more info and videos of testing on their website:
Sleepypod® Safety
Sleepypod® Clickit

They actually designed a new crash test dummy dog for safety testing, also:
Crash test dummy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Center for Pet Safety is supposed to be releasing their new 2013 data in October:
The Science of Pet Safety, Pet Product Testing, Crash Testing, Scientific Testing, Criteria, Pet Safety Advocate, PetSafety
Quote:
  • Over the next few weeks, Center for Pet Safety is compiling the large volumes of data.
  • The collected data will support the first Pet Travel Harness Standard to be completed in the fall.
  • Center for Pet Safety, along with our Harness Study partner, Subaru of America, will announce the top performing harness brands in early October.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 02:38 PM

You guys andglas are great! I am just looking for a car harness and these review are just what I need
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Crowned Member

October 1, 2013 Wall Street Journal

For Crash-Test Dummy Dogs, Seat Belts A Bust - WSJ.com

| OFA Good/Normal | DM Clear

Last edited by Suka; 10-03-2013 at 09:53 AM.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Crowned Member

I'm very interested in the Sleepypod Clickit harness. Best thing is it's available locally which I really like and seems to have extremely good reviews

Anyone have personal experience with it?

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 12:53 AM
Crowned Member

I haven't used it but I did get to check it out a bit at a trade show. The only thing I wasn't sure about it is because it's a 3 point attachment, the dog may not be able to move around as much. They only had it on a crash test dummy dog at the show so I didn't see it on a real dog and not sure how much it does restrict... However the 3 point attachment seems to be much more secure and safer than one that allows more movement, so it's a trade off I guess.

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagocanine View Post
I haven't used it but I did get to check it out a bit at a trade show. The only thing I wasn't sure about it is because it's a 3 point attachment, the dog may not be able to move around as much. They only had it on a crash test dummy dog at the show so I didn't see it on a real dog and not sure how much it does restrict... However the 3 point attachment seems to be much more secure and safer than one that allows more movement, so it's a trade off I guess.
True, mine aren't belted to the point they can't move but they are restricted. The third point being the seatbelt would restrict them more

Definetely something to consider, thanks!

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page