Need advice on equipment! (Leashes, prongs, crates.) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Need advice on equipment! (Leashes, prongs, crates.)

Greetings everyone,

My puppy arrives in approximately 5 and a half weeks, and I am currently looking to make purchases on the final few things I need. I have seen a lot of crates and prongs, but the majority are half in half in terms of positive and negative reviews.

I am looking for opinions on the following items, including a brief review, the name of the product, price, quality and where you've purchased it:

Wire crate. (Want one with a divider.)
Prong collar. (For everday use and for Schutzhund)
Harness. (For Schutzhund)
Leashes. (For tracking/Schutzhund)

If anyone is willing to share their opinions on certain products and tell me where you purchased them, I would be very grateful. I am having a hard time deciding on which ones to go with, and I want to make the right decision.

Thank you!

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 03:01 PM

It really is just a preference thing. You have to obtain a certain level of experiance before you know what you like. I tend to like biothane material (the synthetic leather) it is a little more difficult to hold on to if it's wet. I like the old school Herm Sprenger pinch collars too. For me the more simple the design the better, and the less the chance of failure.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthurston0001 View Post
It really is just a preference thing. You have to obtain a certain level of experiance before you know what you like. I tend to like biothane material (the synthetic leather) it is a little more difficult to hold on to if it's wet. I like the old school Herm Sprenger pinch collars too. For me the more simple the design the better, and the less the chance of failure.
Very true!

A friend of mine uses Herm Sprenger and recommended it, and I saw it online for a fair price and it looks quite simple. I would certainly prefer a simple prong.

Thank you for your comment!

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 03:19 PM

1. Large or X-Large wire crate with a divider=Mine is made by Mid-West
  2. Doggie seatbelt or car carrier for pet's safety when riding (never put pet in the front seat because of the airbag.)
  3. Collar and 6' leash for training-I like the Martingale type collars-brand name Lupine. Many other brands out there.
  4. Rope tug toy
  5. Kiddie pool for the hot summer days-All of my GSDs have loved it.
  6. Portable water bowl for trips out and about-brand name Outward Hound-It's a canvas type material that folds up so it doesn't take up space.
  7. Pet ID-whether tags, microchip, tatoo or all of them!
  8. Grooming items
Looking forward to seeing pics!

Brenda & Jenny AKA Brenleigh's Lady Guinevere
RIP-Carleigh 8/98-12/10
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Knighted Member

As far as wire crates go I have/had three:

1) 42" long Midwest w/ Divider (single door)- loved it, felt like heavier gauge wire than the other two, came with a divider. $125 at Canadian Tire about 8 years ago. No longer have it, loaned to a friend and never returned.

2) 20" long Pet Mate (single door)- no the most sturdy but works for the Shih Tzu, unless the larger ones are heavier gauge wire I wouldn't bother with it. No divider with mine. $44 @ Walmart 3-4 years ago

3) 36" long Petsmart brand w/ Divider (double door)- brand new, maybe a little lighter guage than the Midwest, but it might feel lighter because it is smaller. $80 at Petsmart 2 weeks ago w/ discount card. I think it's great because I can set it up and fold it down INSIDE my Aveo with the back seats folded down and it fits in length wise or width wise.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Crowned Member

I have pretty much one of everything at my place, you can come and see them and feel them and test them out on Stark if you like.

Did you get the email I sent you with my list?

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Crowned Member

Oh, and the one thing *I* think is essential for puppies and that I will NEVER be without is an excerise pen.

I used that x-pen so much it was insane.

XX z Weberhaus
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to VomBlack
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
Oh, and the one thing *I* think is essential for puppies and that I will NEVER be without is an excerise pen.

I used that x-pen so much it was insane.
I second this, i've made a lot of use out of the one I have here, it's heavy plastic and each panel can break off so you can adjust the length/size, I often shorten it to block off doorways.

I'm a fan of the herm springer prong, I haven't had any issues with it coming apart or anything. I have a biothane lead but like mentioned I find it difficult to hang onto if it gets wet, which makes holding back an 82 pound dog difficult during bitework, but it's great for everyday use.

At first i've used just regular nylon harness for schutzhund on puppies, and then I eventually got a leather harness.

I've been really happy with Dog Equipment - Police Dog, Schutzhund, Service Dog, Dog Agility as far as being dog supplies goes, they every so often email out promo codes as well.

Kelli Black &
Bianka "Shade" v. Littlehaus (2/2/11)
Wodanaz "Odin" BH, CD, RE, TT, CGC, TDI, OFA H/E (2/13/09)

"Utility is the true criterion of beauty."
- Captain Max von Stephanitz
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Crowned Member

I used the nylon for Stark when we first started and then switched to an agitation harness and still use that most times (haven't done bitework since before Christmas!!!!) but he was using a fursaver/leather collar as well depending on what we were working on.

XX z Weberhaus
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Crowned Member

There is a local store in the Forest Glenn Plaza (off of Strasburg?) that will get you things in if she doesn't carry them (she got me my x-pen at cost!).

If you want, we can go and do some shopping.

XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page