Need advice on equipment! (Leashes, prongs, crates.) - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 01:36 AM
Crowned Member

There is a GSD mix in our building who wears a prong like a necklace... just hangs there and then they wonder why it doesn't work...

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 02:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to tintallie
Hmm all the dog gear I use currently:

Remington plastic crates (XLarge and Large) - purchased at Wholesale Sport Outfitters, a hunting and camping store, XL for bedroom & L for the SUV

soft sided crate from Midwest Camper - folds flat and good for travelling on the road, not recommended for chewers/puppies

Molly Mutt Duvets and stuff sacks - stuff old clothes, pillows, fleece blankets into the sack and zip up the duvet for a bed, washes easily, check their online site for retailers

leather leash - Hortons Quality K9, 4ft, 1/2" with a Herm Sprenger scissor clip

prong collar - 2.25mm links, Herm Sprenger stainless steel prong (Dog Sport Gear)

toys - JW Pet Good/Bad Cuz, West Paw Design Bow Wowzer balls (discontinued but these last through intense chewing) and Hurleys, fleece tugs made from cheap IKEA fleece blanket ($3) cut into strips and braided, Kyjen egg babies (all squeakers are dead but are still great for fetching and stuffing into animal skin)

grooming - Kong Zoom Groom or a rubber curry mitt, earthbath dog shampoo (will try something else next time, this stuff lasts only because she rarely needs a bath!), foot tub, some small hand towels, spray bottles, Happy Tails Spa dog insect repellent, styptic powder, nail clippers

outdoor gear - Ruff Wear Grip Trex boots, Cloud Chaser soft shell and Climate Changer fleece jackets, Palisades Pack (for hikes and camping); if no local retailer, check gear4dogs.com. My dog wears the coats in sub-freezing temps (we walk in -20C/-4F temps) because she has a close coat with little fur on her under carriage.

If I think of anything else, I'll add to this list later.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
There is a GSD mix in our building who wears a prong like a necklace... just hangs there and then they wonder why it doesn't work...

If I do something so obviously "Not" good, I hope folks will stop me and set me straight. They might appreciate a little education from y'all. xoxo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:39 PM

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
She was referring to when he was older.

He came home today and has already been on the flirt pole and did some tug, he also was on her pant leg!

Awesome little guy who will have the right guidance with the right people. He starts training next weekend.

BIG Congrats! Aren't you just in heaven?
Thanks so much for all the great "lists" guys. We hope to get ours on March 30th at 8 weeks old. We have been "on the list" for several months. We have not had a puppy in the house for 10 years. With the lists, I can now go shopping.. smile... We have exercise yard taking up our dining and half our living room (14 x 6), he already has 36" crate with two doors and removable divider, Nice, soft bed in the crate that I expect to be torn up quickly, then we will go to blankets he can just tear through. Doggie treadmill he can just play on and get used to, still need to get potty box and was looking for preferred filler when I found y'alls lists. My cat uses a wheel, so puppy will learn to use treadmill. He also has a play yard outside (12 x 12) to put him in when I cannot have him attached to my hip, like when rotating laundry. He will be free in the backyard when I am right there with him and he cannot get himself into something that he should not. Once he is big enough for "walks" off the property, I am going to train him to my scooter and off we will go. I could never do the miles he will need without the scooter. Plan to take him to library park and use a long line to let him run more or less free. We have a wonderful island here in San Diego that is leash free, too. Hope to take him there, as well. Our Samoyed and Newfoundland (when he was alive) just love. There is a very good trainer in Ramona that we will hook-up with to move forward in his training. I've never done IPO & are hopeful for this pup. I have done AKC, all classes, big & little dogs. This will be the first dog where I am going to be able to be home with him 24/7. .. Retired... smile Attached photo at 3 weeks, hope it attached. ps: Atlas also has an extra large crate for in the car (closed in, not like wire crate for inside the house) and seat belt when he gets big enough to fit in it. We also got him some wonderful stairs that are collapsible to get him in and out of the back of our SUV when he gets too big to lift into and out of the car. I'm sure I'm missing something, but your lists are wonderful for the last details I need to take care of.
Attached Images

bnormal likes this.

Last edited by goldtwh; 02-26-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page