Need advice on equipment! (Leashes, prongs, crates.) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 01:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to tintallie
@Wild Wolf: Congrats on the Geistwasser (Facewasher!) pup Jen and Bill are awesome to deal with! (I have an Arrek x Ayla pup) Jen recently mentioned to me that there was another puppy buyer from Canada recently.

The Schutzhund equipment supplier All K-9 is very good to deal with and is affiliated with Dogsport Gear (Schutzhund equipment, Police k9 equipment supplier , dog equipment, dog harness) when it's a Canadian order. They carry the exact same gear but it is shipped out of Langley BC.

I use the 2.25mm Herm Sprenger Stainless Steel Prong and I bought extra links to expand it as I need to and I use a 4' 5/8" wide leather leash from Hortons Quality K9 (hortonsquality.com) with a Herm Sprenger French Scissor clip that is easy to manipulate in the cold Alberta prairie winters when I have mittens on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VomBlack View Post

I've been really happy with Dog Equipment - Police Dog, Schutzhund, Service Dog, Dog Agility as far as being dog supplies goes, they every so often email out promo codes as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
Greetings everyone,

Wire crate. (Want one with a divider.)
Prong collar. (For everday use and for Schutzhund)
Harness. (For Schutzhund)
Leashes. (For tracking/Schutzhund)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Crowned Member

Horton's is nice, but I find them very exspensive.

I think AllK9, Dog Sport Gear, Hallmark, etc. have the same quality for less money. Plus, bonus is Dog Sport Gear won't charge you shipping fees if your order is over $99.99.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Crowned Member

Also, the scissor clip, have you had any issues with them breaking? Making the collar weak at all? I know Leerburg had some information on them and will not sell them now.

XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 02:53 PM

Send a message via MSN to tintallie
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
Also, the scissor clip, have you had any issues with them breaking? Making the collar weak at all? I know Leerburg had some information on them and will not sell them now.
I don't have any clips on the prong collar. The French scissor clip is on my leather leash from Hortons and it is about 3.5" (8cm) long! The clip is so massive that it hurts like the dickens when you accidentally clip your finger...
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Crowned Member

Sorry, I just re-read your post and realized it was the leash.. lol.

XX z Weberhaus
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintallie View Post
@Wild Wolf: Congrats on the Geistwasser (Facewasher!) pup Jen and Bill are awesome to deal with! (I have an Arrek x Ayla pup) Jen recently mentioned to me that there was another puppy buyer from Canada recently.
Thank you!! I am SO very proud to be taking home a Geistwasser pup - Bill and Jen have been fantastic thus far! My pup is from their S Litter out of Cayos and Hilde. Will be three weeks on Thursday. <3

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 09:53 PM

For traveling you can't beat an Owens Dog Box ...plenty of options to choose from and probably the safest way to transport.

Josh Tucker
Trophy Time Gun Dogs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 11:12 PM
Master Member

Please, please, please do not use a prong or a slip collar on your puppy. I see you have it on your list of supplies to get, but I caution you to hold off on such until your pup is at least 6 months of age (preferably older!)

The best thing you can do for your pup is purchase a treat pouch and lots of small, soft, training rewards. Your puppy's mind is going to be like a little sponge, start filling it up the moment your puppy comes home!

I also recommend getting an exercise pen and filling it with all sorts of toys, boxes, and mentally enriching things!

A large wire crate will probably suit you best as you can find one that comes with a divider that you can make larger as your pup grows.

My dogs, and the puppies I've raised all seem to love nylabones. Best to find the ones of interesting textures and shapes (even though they tend to cost a bit more)

I'd hold off on the harness until your pup is a bit larger, because if you're going to be doing schuzhund you'll probably want a good harness and they tend to be pricey. Leerburg is a good place to shop around.

Focus on building drive and obedience and hopefully you'll be on the right path for whatever you want to accomplish in the future.

Murdock, BH - GSD
Virgil, CGC - GSD

Tara, Reagan, Madison, and Jefferson - Aussies
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.rigby View Post
Please, please, please do not use a prong or a slip collar on your puppy. I see you have it on your list of supplies to get, but I caution you to hold off on such until your pup is at least 6 months of age (preferably older!)

The best thing you can do for your pup is purchase a treat pouch and lots of small, soft, training rewards. Your puppy's mind is going to be like a little sponge, start filling it up the moment your puppy comes home!

I also recommend getting an exercise pen and filling it with all sorts of toys, boxes, and mentally enriching things!

A large wire crate will probably suit you best as you can find one that comes with a divider that you can make larger as your pup grows.

My dogs, and the puppies I've raised all seem to love nylabones. Best to find the ones of interesting textures and shapes (even though they tend to cost a bit more)

I'd hold off on the harness until your pup is a bit larger, because if you're going to be doing schuzhund you'll probably want a good harness and they tend to be pricey. Leerburg is a good place to shop around.

Focus on building drive and obedience and hopefully you'll be on the right path for whatever you want to accomplish in the future.
She was referring to when he was older.

He came home today and has already been on the flirt pole and did some tug, he also was on her pant leg!

Awesome little guy who will have the right guidance with the right people. He starts training next weekend.

XX z Weberhaus
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Master Member

That's good to know! I was at one of the local box pet stores today and saw a 12wk old GSD puppy on a prong collar made me sad.

Murdock, BH - GSD
Virgil, CGC - GSD

Tara, Reagan, Madison, and Jefferson - Aussies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page