Make your own leash or long line - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Make your own leash or long line

I recently bought some long lines made by Gappay from one of the K-9 suppliers. I like the material they use so was trying to see if I could make my own. It looks like is possible to make your own custom leashes or long lines if you have access to a more powerfull sewing machine such as those used in uphosltery shops.

The leash material is just 1" tubular webbing supplied by REI:

http://www.rei.com/product/752375

This shows the rust color that I like, it comes in blue, red, grey, purple. You can also buy shorter lengths at $0.32/foot.

For clasps I found United States Flag company that sells lots of flag clasps:

http://www.united-states-flag.com/fl...FRg6awodjBJWCw

I have a friend who does car upholstery so he can sew the lines on the clasps for me. Other option is to tie some good knots to hold the line in place, sewing probably works better.

Glenn

Qadira vom Haus Tyson 01/29/08
Call name: Juli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 02:51 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Make your own leash or long line

Sewing works much better, especially when you're working with nylon webbing.

I've done assorted collars and leads using nylon. If you have a quality sewing machine, you can sew through four layers of nylon webbing without damaging your machine if you sew slowly. I've done this on my Brother machine, when I still had it, and now on my Kenmore. My Kenmore is the better quality of the two.

The flag clasps - if you have a feed store near you, or any store that carries horse tack and accessories, you'll be able to get bolt snaps of various sizes and weights for pretty cheap.

I've done some leads with H&K Snaps instead of the bolt swivels. They are really nice and heavy duty, but don't rotate and are hard to unclip.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page