post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

The 'impossible ear'

Sorry guys I know am being an immense worry wart but plz cope with me lol

So an update on my Kaiser's ear status :
Finished teething at exactly 5mos
Both ears shot up for bout 2 weeks
Weak ear started getting weak again and slowly kept staying down for longer

He's currently 6mos old and am pretty sure the windows closing in now 😟

So far we've tried giving plenty of things to chew, including beef bones, egg shell for extra calcium, yoghurt, and an overall good diet...
Only options I've left now is Gelatin, Glucosamine and Taping all 3 being kinda problematic...

So for gelatin ive tried to find Knoxx in our supermarkets and its not awailable There's a local brand with unflavoured gelatin powder so is it alright to use that?

As for glucosamine and taping... Both Vets ive been to aren't concerned at all Infact they simply dont care... So I'll prolly wait till he's nearing 7mos and try taping at home.. Is tht possible...?

Ik ik erect ears are just an aesthetic thing but he just looks so handsome with both up and we've spent a hefty sum for this lil guy so the least i want is a GSD who looks like a GSD 😓.. and you guys have to admit one up one down doesn't look right so am gonna do everything possible to get them up for good 🙄

Last option I've got is contacting the canine department at the AF cause my dad works there but then dont knw if dad's going to be OK with that 😂

Anywaysss thx in advance guys U'll r amazing for providing me the best advice possible despite all my threads and questions )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Sorry one thing I forgot to mention is I dont think this is genetic in nature because both parents had erect ears (Although mom's looked kinda thin like Kaiser's are now) and he hasn't had GSDs with non erect ears... Also no trauma to the ears before coming to our place (Well honesty on the breeder's part i cannot assure tho lol)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:33 AM
Knighted Member

This is my girl, Star. I got her at 12 weeks, and both ears were up. They fell down within the next week. This picture shows her at 9 months. Her ears had ONLY just come up to stay in the last few weeks! I forget which ear was the lazy one, but you can see the creases in the base where the ear would flop.

Rule of thumb is: if they once were up, the will come up again, unless there's been some sort of injury!

I see from your sig photo that the bases of the ears look strong, so that makes me think all will be well.

A friend of mine had a male with a floppy ear. She'd buy Breathe Right strips and put one across the area where the crease was to keep the ear standing. They were so small and light that they didn't bother the dog, and eventually the weak ear stayed up! I don't know if you can get them in your country, but if you can, you might want to try them!
https://www.breatheright.com/
Attached Images

Last edited by Sunsilver; 08-16-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:38 AM
Crowned Member

If it were my dog, I would start taping them now. It is a cartilage issue and all of that other stuff you are doing will likely have little to no impact. Don't let others come on here and bully you into not doing anything with the ears. It is your dog and erect ears are your preference. Do what you have to do to get there.
cvamoca likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
This is my girl, Star. I got her at 12 weeks, and both ears were up. They fell down within the next week. This picture shows her at 9 months. Her ears had ONLY just come up to stay in the last few weeks! I forget which ear was the lazy one, but you can see the creases in the base where the ear would flop.

Rule of thumb is: if they once were up, the will come up again, unless there's bee some sort of injury!

I see from your sig photo that the bases of the ears look strong, so that makes me think all will be well.
Such a beautiful girl! I know am supposed to be patient but am worried if I dont do anything now and they end up not being erect I'll regret not doing anything before... Also I have heard ear going up after 6mos is pretty rare or not usual..
I'd actually like to tape after waiting maybe a couple more weeks but am finding it hard to find a Vet or some1 with knowledge on that regard... I am going to contact the canine department at my dad's work soon so I'll update the thread with what they say 🙂

Last edited by Sithumya17; 08-16-2019 at 08:44 AM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
If it were my dog, I would start taping them now. It is a cartilage issue and all of that other stuff you are doing will likely have little to no impact. Don't let others come on here and bully you into not doing anything with the ears. It is your dog and erect ears are your preference. Do what you have to do to get there.
Yes am going to look into taping now Honestly i didn't think this would be an issue at all I was told by the breeder the ears will come up by 5mos ish...Is it possible to tape at home?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:50 AM
Knighted Member

Thank you! That's probably my all-time favourite photo of her!

Yes, it is, but you have to know how to do it. Get an experience person to show you.

Some people GLUE the ears together, especially if the pup is a long coat! Then, of course, the pup loses some of the hair when the ears have to be separated.

Could you post a picture of what the ears look like now?

And is your dad a vet, or does he work for a veterinary practice?

Quote:
I am going to contact the canine department at my dad's work soon so I'll update the thread with what they say

Last edited by Sunsilver; 08-16-2019 at 08:52 AM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:55 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithumya17 View Post
Yes am going to look into taping now Honestly i didn't think this would be an issue at all I was told by the breeder the ears will come up by 5mos ish...Is it possible to tape at home?
Yes you can do it at home. Please don't glue the ears together as it is very painful for the pup. You can ask your vet to show you how or Google the internet or YouTube. There are lots of online how-to videos. Come back and ask questions if you get confused.

As someone else stated, pictures would be helpful.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
Thank you! That's probably my all-time favourite photo of her!

Yes, it is, but you have to know how to do it. Get an experience person to show you.

Some people GLUE the ears together, especially if the pup is a long coat! Then, of course, the pup loses some of the hair when the ears have to be separated.

Could you post a picture of what the ears look like now?

And is your dad a vet, or does he work for a veterinary practice?

Quote:
I am going to contact the canine department at my dad's work soon so I'll update the thread with what they say
Yes I will show updated photos tomorrow ) And nope! My dad is not a Vet xD He works in the military the AF and I was referring to their K9 department I can ask dad to contact them and ask for advice 🙂
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithumya17 View Post
Yes you can do it at home. Please don't glue the ears together as it is very painful for the pup. You can ask your vet to show you how or Google the internet or YouTube. There are lots of online how-to videos. Come back and ask questions if you get confused.

As someone else stated, pictures would be helpful.
Yupp am going to start some researching on that regard I will make another thread later to inquire for more advice regarding that Thx )
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page