Ears up! Then down again... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Ears up! Then down again...

I was sooo excited to see *both* ears up finally just before he turned 4 months (only one was up since 3 mos ish before) and now couple weeks later the weak ear is back down again! 😭
He isss teething quite extensively right now (I saw about 4 empty spots just today...Bless him when eating &#x1f602 But this wait is sooo difficult!
Really really hope it goes up for good after 5 mos... 😥
PS- Plz don think he's constantly caged cause of the pics... He had a bath and the garden is muddy so he was caged to dry off properly lol... Other times he's always free to roam around!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190629_134014_1561799046655.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	522703   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190629_134200_1561799120573.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	522705  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:46 AM

Don't count on his ears being up by 5 months. We have had 2 dogs that didn't have both ears up until after they were 9 months old. Some take longer than others, but it doesn't mean they won't stand.

Be patient. The pup's ear will be fine. Relax and enjoy your pup and please stop worrying about ears.
Sunsilver likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsed View Post
Don't count on his ears being up by 5 months. We have had 2 dogs that didn't have both ears up until after they were 9 months old. Some take longer than others, but it doesn't mean they won't stand.

Be patient. The pup's ear will be fine. Relax and enjoy your pup and please stop worrying about ears.
This is just a fun thread actually lol am not really concerned tbh n Yeah ik it might take longer but the wait is so infuriating!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 11:40 AM
Knighted Member

Star's ears were up at 12 weeks when I brought her home. They fell down again within a week, and didn't come up to stay until she was 9 months. Yep, sometimes you need to be very, very patient!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 12:03 PM

Sheba's ears were up for good at just 8-1/2 weeks. Our daughter now has her own GSD puppy, and at 3-1/2 months Lexie's ears still show no sign of wanting to stand up anytime soon. These dogs all grow at their own pace, but in the end their ears almost always stand up... and hey, even if they don't, they're still awfully darned cute!

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

Clare and Pawsed like this.

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
Sheba's ears were up for good at just 8-1/2 weeks. Our daughter now has her own GSD puppy, and at 3-1/2 months Lexie's ears still show no sign of wanting to stand up anytime soon. These dogs all grow at their own pace, but in the end their ears almost always stand up... and hey, even if they don't, they're still awfully darned cute!

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

Such a cute pup!! Ik I should stop worrying but he just looks so handsome when the ears are up I just can't help it 😅
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Sooo a lil update on his ears... Lo and behold both are down now *face palm* And I think I might go crazy 😂 He's around 5 mos old now and it doesn't help seeing all those posts saying their ears should be up by 5 🙄💔...
Ik guys every1 told me countless times to stop worrying but the thing is in my country ( yeah ik it sounds rediculous) I dont think 'Taping' is readily awailable.... The current Vet don't knw abt it so If by around 6 mos ish his ears dont go up i need to start looking NoW for the taping procedure...
Soo a couple Qs... All his baby teeth have fallen i believe and the adult teeth have come Theyr just growing larger atm so is he technically done teething??
Also are there any natural food items or procedures i can give to make his ears come up?
Thx 😊
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:19 AM

I'm not a fan of taping. Just my personal feeling. There is no way to prove that taping works, or doesn't work and it can actually damage the ears and keep them from standing. To me, time and patience is all that is needed.

Give your pup plenty of things to chew on to strengthen the muscles. Relax, the pup is still very young. Forget those people who say the ears should be up by now. That isn't true. Every dog is different, and every pup has their own schedule for when the ears stand. Some are up by 6 or 8 weeks and stay there. Others take nearly a year. There is no rule.

If the ears have ever been up before, they are highly likely to come up again. Just give them time. And stop worrying.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsed View Post
I'm not a fan of taping. Just my personal feeling. There is no way to prove that taping works, or doesn't work and it can actually damage the ears and keep them from standing. To me, time and patience is all that is needed.

Give your pup plenty of things to chew on to strengthen the muscles. Relax, the pup is still very young. Forget those people who say the ears should be up by now. That isn't true. Every dog is different, and every pup has their own schedule for when the ears stand. Some are up by 6 or 8 weeks and stay there. Others take nearly a year. There is no rule.

If the ears have ever been up before, they are highly likely to come up again. Just give them time. And stop worrying.
Thnku tht makes me feel reassured 🙂 Yes both ears have been up frm time to time but one is kinda soft than the other so it'll prolly take longer
It sounds silly but am glad taping isn't exactly necessary for late bloomers I dont knw wht to do if it comes to that!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:13 PM
LRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithumya17 View Post
Thnku tht makes me feel reassured 🙂 Yes both ears have been up frm time to time but one is kinda soft than the other so it'll prolly take longer
It sounds silly but am glad taping isn't exactly necessary for late bloomers I dont knw wht to do if it comes to that!
Try giving him things to chew on, bully sticks, cow ears... something that will require strength and time to chew. It will help build up his ear/face muscle and will help build the ears up. While he is teething though the ears will go up and down constantly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page