Food to make ears come up..? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Food to make ears come up..?

Hi guys am getting a little concerned about my puppy's ears now... Its one ear up and the other is flopped to the front Earlier the ear would go up when he was excited and playing now its just flopped down totally.. Out of all 4 pups he's the only one whose ears haven't gone up yet so it cant be genetics... I have heard certain foods can make ears come up..? Can some1 plz recommend me things to add to his diet to make his ear come up? The Vet recommended upping the amount of Stress powder we're giving and indeed the first ear came up after that but not the other one... (I tried giving him raw hide bones to chew and he used to love them and it certainly helped strengthen the base previously but now he's lost interest in them 😞
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:21 PM
LRP

How old is your puppy?
Photos?

Every dog develops differently and the ears can adjust anytime during the teething process.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:40 PM
Crowned Member

Take a look at "Moms" post (2nd post) in the linked thread.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...limp-ears.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRP View Post
How old is your puppy?
Photos?

Every dog develops differently and the ears can adjust anytime during the teething process.
My pup is almost 15 weeks old so I knw its a bit young to worry about ears but the thing is earlier the ear would go up randomly when he was excited but now its totally flopped to the front.. 😞 Am concerned cause I haven't seen it go up at all for about a week now and cartilage seems very weak in it... (And am quite positive no damage has been done to the ear)
Pics are 1st one is him earlier when the ear went up, 2nd when it was flopped to the back and 3rd now his ear flopped totally to the front
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRP View Post
How old is your puppy?
Photos?

Sorry smthin went wrong with the pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190602_182437_1559710234250.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	521863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190520_141026_1559710343321.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	521865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190519-WA0019_1559710406628.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	489.4 KB
ID:	521867  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Take a look at "Moms" post (2nd post) in the linked thread.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...limp-ears.html
Thnk u 🙂 I am kinda afraid to massage his ear in case I damage it and I will try to find a meaty beef bone for him to chew (Tho it might sound crazy it's very hard to find meat shops around here &#x1f605 I will try the gelatin ofc... But is it alright to use any other brands instead of the ones mentioned? Or is it special..?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:29 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithumya17 View Post
My pup is almost 15 weeks old so I knw its a bit young to worry about ears but the thing is earlier the ear would go up randomly when he was excited but now its totally flopped to the front.. 😞 Am concerned cause I haven't seen it go up at all for about a week now and cartilage seems very weak in it... (And am quite positive no damage has been done to the ear)
Pics are 1st one is him earlier when the ear went up, 2nd when it was flopped to the back and 3rd now his ear flopped totally to the front
15 weeks?! Ha ha. Don't worry about it. It's still premature to worry about them. My previous dog's ears didn't fully stay up until he was around 8-9 months old. It was up and down several times in the last month leading to it standing up full. Even pups within the same litter don't have the same schedules either. Just relax and enjoy this puppy stage instead of worrying.
Pawsed likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:28 AM
LRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithumya17 View Post

Yes please do not worry about it... my females ears went up and down up until her 5th month, 1 ear I thought was gonna be floppy but it came back up. The teething process moves all the jaws bones around and so the ears move... its totally natural.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Thx a lot guys its very reassuring I was so worried this wasn't normal 😅 I just keep getting bombarded about it from all sides... Both the breeder n our Vet hinted they should be up by now and my mom's giving the death glare cause we spent so much n technically no1 will acknowledge a gsd without pointy ears she says.. 🙄
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:39 PM

Don't rub the ears, ever. Give lots of chew bones and feed gelatin. They'll come up all the way. Nice pup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page