Is the ear cartilage supposed to disappear like this?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dogfaeries

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Is the ear cartilage supposed to disappear like this??

Hi guys i know there's probably a million and one questions about ears goin up and down and I apologise in advance 😅 but Ive read through most posts and I can't seem to find one specifically related to my question...
My pup is only 3 1/2 months old so ik he's got till like 5 mos for the ears to come up and he's going thru teething rn One of his ears came up around 2 1/2 mos ish and it has stsyed up ever since, the other kept goin up when he was excited or looking up and then down for few mins I didn't worry too much cause its prolly due to teething.. We got him bones to chew n he'd stay up all night n nxt day the ear would be up most of the day n go down again next day.. My concern is like a couple days ago both ears were up like almost the entire day most of the cartilage had built up on that ear and the base was firm too n i thought his floppy one would go up in a couple days... but when i looked yesterday it was flopped over the front I tried feeling a bit and all the cartilage that had built up were gone including at the base where it was hardened before... Is this normal for cartilage to disappear like this?? (Also i noticed a new tooth was missing so probably due to that...?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:56 AM

My GSD was up and down on the ears at that age too. My guess is it will go up eventually and stay up. They go through phases of both down, one up - one down, two up - then one or both back down. At that age, I wouldn't worry too much about it yet.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graychamp View Post
My GSD was up and down on the ears at that age too. My guess is it will go up eventually and stay up. They go through phases of both down, one up - one down, two up - then one or both back down. At that age, I wouldn't worry too much about it yet.
Thx I wouldn't be worried if it ws jzt up and down its jzt the part where the cartilage has gone am worried abt..🤔
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:45 AM

Puppies ears will go up and down while they are teething, and each puppy is different. Some go up and stay up. Sometimes you’ll have an ear that has been up for awhile go back down. It can be quite the ear dance. Just give your puppy plenty of things to chew on, and don’t mess around with the ears. Odds are that they will both go back up eventually.
Sabis mom likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page