German Shepherds Forum banner

Would you glue?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Sabis mom 
#1 ·
Would you glue either of these pups. Both are just turning five months old. The female has one ear up, the male is significantly heavier and neither ear has gone up yet. Breeder glued them before she sent the pups to me. I'm feeling like the one up ear girl can be left, but the two ear down boy should be glued? Yes or no?

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
It is not standard practice with any breeder I know of to glue ears at that young age. The only reason to do that is if she knows she is breeding soft ears. And no you wouldn't see problems, because the ears are being taped when they are puppies.
The thing is that the more you mess with the ears, the more chance there is of creating a problem.

#8 ·
I had a GSD with a floppy ear. I taped it, according to the accepted ways. The ear never stood up. The cartilage to hold it up just wasn't there in one ear. It was a wasted effort.

However, my dog was about 110 percent perfect in every other category, so who cares? Actually, it turned out to be something of a benefit because it really seemed to attract women who would comment on how it showed he had "personality."

I came to the conclusion that lots of women like slightly flawed dogs because of their experience with human males. They seem to find (some) flaws endearing.

If I have another dog with the problem, I doubt that I will care that much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.