Would you glue? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Would you glue?

Would you glue either of these pups. Both are just turning five months old. The female has one ear up, the male is significantly heavier and neither ear has gone up yet. Breeder glued them before she sent the pups to me. I'm feeling like the one up ear girl can be left, but the two ear down boy should be glued? Yes or no?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kellnhausgsds-apr2019-71_orig.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	520345  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:45 PM
Crowned Member

I would not touch those ears at that age. You can do more harm than good.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. At what age do you get to the point of doing something? The guy's teething is about done it seems- mostly adults from what I can tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:47 PM
Crowned Member

I would wait much closer to 5.5 months or even 6 months. Those big heavy ears can take a little longer to come up.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:12 PM
Crowned Member

The breeder glued the ears before shipping them? At what age? That does not bode well and says to me that they know they are breeding soft ears.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
The breeder glued the ears before shipping them? At what age? That does not bode well and says to me that they know they are breeding soft ears.
None of her pups I’ve ever seen as adults have ear issues 🏻 Just seems to be what she does. The girl came glued at 9 weeks. The boy came glued at 18 weeks with photos showing they were glued prior to that while he was with her.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:31 AM
Crowned Member

It is not standard practice with any breeder I know of to glue ears at that young age. The only reason to do that is if she knows she is breeding soft ears. And no you wouldn't see problems, because the ears are being taped when they are puppies.
The thing is that the more you mess with the ears, the more chance there is of creating a problem.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:22 PM

I had a GSD with a floppy ear. I taped it, according to the accepted ways. The ear never stood up. The cartilage to hold it up just wasn't there in one ear. It was a wasted effort.

However, my dog was about 110 percent perfect in every other category, so who cares? Actually, it turned out to be something of a benefit because it really seemed to attract women who would comment on how it showed he had "personality."

I came to the conclusion that lots of women like slightly flawed dogs because of their experience with human males. They seem to find (some) flaws endearing.

If I have another dog with the problem, I doubt that I will care that much.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm97 View Post
I had a GSD with a floppy ear. I taped it, according to the accepted ways. The ear never stood up. The cartilage to hold it up just wasn't there in one ear. It was a wasted effort.

However, my dog was about 110 percent perfect in every other category, so who cares? Actually, it turned out to be something of a benefit because it really seemed to attract women who would comment on how it showed he had "personality."

I came to the conclusion that lots of women like slightly flawed dogs because of their experience with human males. They seem to find (some) flaws endearing.

If I have another dog with the problem, I doubt that I will care that much.
The ears will need to be up for showing.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Interesting. Thank you! I hadn’t heard of it either as standard protocol until this one. Appreciate the response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page