Floppy Ears - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Floppy Ears

Hello, I was hoping to get more info and tips about GSD ears. I’ve only done google research and I read they have until 6 months to perk up. That if they don’t by then, I should get them taped. I have an 18 week old GSD. We brought him home at 8 weeks and his ears have never been fully up or lasted staying up no more than a day or a couple mins. They only go up for a couple mins when he’s excited or playing. Then they slowly flop down. The first couple of weeks we have monitored and kept our other dog, who’s 8 months now, so that she wouldn’t bite or tug his ears during play time. We also don’t mess with or touch his ears at all. We have given him things to chew on like bully sticks, bones, etc and he would chew for hours and hours each day. Still no improvement or showing that his ears will perk up anytime soon. He’s the last of his litter mates and theirs were all up between 8-12 weeks. Idk if it’s cos his ears are too big or heavy? Am I not giving him the proper nurtrients? Or am I giving him too much?
The only thing we give him with his dry kibble is salmon oil. Also Tropiclean Fresh Breath Plus Hip & Joint Oral Care.
We’ve visited the vet but they didn’t know anything about GSD ears. They never even heard of taping or done it. They even wanted us to shave his hair around the ears which we know that won’t help. So we’re going to switch vets who’s more knowledgeable. I also didn’t like how they kept pushing it and saying our pup is half lab when I told them I personally know and met both of his parents, both purebred GSDs.
In the meantime, have any of y’all have a GSD puppy who’s ears fully perked up by 6 months who’s also gone through my situation? Just want some hopeful words and to stop my worrying lol. But either way, we will still love our boy, floppy ears or not.
I’ve attached a collage of his ears throughout the weeks and they have time stamps on them up til current. Feel free to share your pup if they’re currently 4 or 5 months with floppy ears!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54910399-481E-4DB0-9142-BFF46F70C8D4_1550266627267.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	518253  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:07 AM

The only thing your pup needs is more patience on your part. There is no rule about when the ears come up. We have had 2 pups over the years that took over 9 months for both ears to stand.

Ears will go up and down, especially if the dog is teething. If they have been up before, even for a brief time, they should go up again.

Stop worrying about ears, relax and enjoy your pup. He's very cute.
tc68 and Sabis mom like this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Patience is a virtue. Thanks for your reply! I needed that. I just thought I was the only one since idk people who were in my situation. Plus, this is our first GSD. We learn new things everyday other than what we’ve already known
Pawsed likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 01:08 AM

With his floppy ears I could understand them thinking that. My female GSD/lab mix looks a lot like him, very similar ear set. I don't think shaving his ears would help but I do know that it helps in some dog breeds, not sure on shepherds. Long coats maybe I could see if helping.

That said good luck on his ears coming up! They look pretty floppy to me but I'm not familiar with ears much and their floppy/standing stages. If you read back on older posts of the same issue there are some good excercises people suggest to encourage him to put his ears up.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazel View Post
With his floppy ears I could understand them thinking that. My female GSD/lab mix looks a lot like him, very similar ear set. I don't think shaving his ears would help but I do know that it helps in some dog breeds, not sure on shepherds. Long coats maybe I could see if helping.

That said good luck on his ears coming up! They look pretty floppy to me but I'm not familiar with ears much and their floppy/standing stages. If you read back on older posts of the same issue there are some good excercises people suggest to encourage him to put his ears up.
Shaving long coats ears to make them stand? That is a new one to me. The long fur is behind the ears, not on the ears. The only reason to shave those lovely tufts is so that they don't get tangled. M big boys ears went up and down and floppy. Eventually they came up and stayed up. Chewing might help since pups often have wonky ears while teething.

Good call on changing vets. If they insist that a black GSD pup is part black lab, then yeah, what else do they not know?

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by car2ner; 02-17-2019 at 08:26 AM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 09:41 AM

It could be the food. But most likely, it's nothing you really need to worry about. My current pup's ears came up within the first week of owning him. 2 of his siblings' ears were up already at around 6 weeks old. My previous dog's ears took a long time. Can't remember without having to look through pictures but sometime around 9 months old(?). (I can't look at pictures of him yet. More than a year later it still hurts.) For the longest time he had 1 ear up and 1 ear down....looked really goofy, but cute. I don't know what the percentage of GSD's ears that never come up are, but my guess is it's quite small. So my point is, there's no set time. They'll come up when they come up. The fact that they've come up from time to time, shows promise. So just hang in there and enjoy your pup the way he is now.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I was told from a breeder that shaving will not work for him.
And yes, they are pretty floppy and his ear placement looks like it will be awhile or it’ll just stay floppy lmfao.
I think I did read back on some post but the pics I’ve seen are pups with their ears closed together than farther apart.
Anyways, thanks for your comment! I don’t stumble upon many GSDs with floppy ears at a year old but I happened to come across one and they look so cute! It’s just funny how ears can be an obsession but we’ve accepted it as long as it doesn’t give him ear infections
Quote:

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

My pup eats TOTW. He’s been doing great with it. One of his littermates eats Diamond Naturals and I know both brands are similar. But my pup and his litter mate brother actually had their ears similar in placement from 10-12 weeks, his brother ended up having it perk up and never went back down. Our pup just stayed flopped down lol. Since then, our pup never had his ears up. Like I mentioned in my post, they only stay up for like a minute or two and flop down. Then they just stay down throughout the day.
Yeah I’m sure it’s not common for GSDs to not have their ears up pass 6 months old, but from what people are telling me from their experience and what I’ve researched so far, you’re pretty right about it not having a set time!
Hopefully in 2-3 months I can put an update on here 🙂
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc68 View Post
It could be the food. But most likely, it's nothing you really need to worry about. My current pup's ears came up within the first week of owning him. 2 of his siblings' ears were up already at around 6 weeks old. My previous dog's ears took a long time. Can't remember without having to look through pictures but sometime around 9 months old(?). (I can't look at pictures of him yet. More than a year later it still hurts.) For the longest time he had 1 ear up and 1 ear down....looked really goofy, but cute. I don't know what the percentage of GSD's ears that never come up are, but my guess is it's quite small. So my point is, there's no set time. They'll come up when they come up. The fact that they've come up from time to time, shows promise. So just hang in there and enjoy your pup the way he is now.
tc68 likes this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

We definitely give lots of chews throughout the day for our pup. So we’re sure it’s strengthening something lmfao.

And yes, for our vet to firmly tell us that our pup is a mix when clearly they haven’t met his parents and we did, and for them to not even know what taping is, why even bother keeping them as a vet. Sadly I still haven’t found a knowledgeable vet. The town we stay in is so sad and depressing. But we’ll be moving soon so wish us luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
Quote:

Shaving long coats ears to make them stand? That is a new one to me. The long fur is behind the ears, not on the ears. The only reason to shave those lovely tufts is so that they don't get tangled. M big boys ears went up and down and floppy. Eventually they came up and stayed up. Chewing might help since pups often have wonky ears while teething.

Good call on changing vets. If they insist that a black GSD pup is part black lab, then yeah, what else do they not know?
car2ner likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:43 PM

Good luck!😉
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page