GSD lab mix - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

GSD lab mix

Tryin to find out if it looks like his ears will stand, he turned 12 weeks today (feb 10th) and is teething but I have a feeling only one will stand cause the other doesn’t have the cartilage in the center bend of ear? I guess that’s what you call it. Sorry I don’t know much about ears. But looking at it it’s even bigger than the other (to me) is there anything I can do to help them stand up?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D843BFFD-DF5F-4193-A2AB-0796C3C621D5_1549857441229.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	518057  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:05 AM
Knighted Member

Cute puppy! The best thing at this age is to give him lots of good things to chew on! Some people suggest giving them gelatin. Many purebred GSD's ears don't stand up dependable until much later when they're done teething though, so I suggest you not stress about it and let nature take its course. I don't see much about this puppy that looks lab-like (are you sure of the mix?), but my first dog was a lab shepherd cross and his ears stood...give it time!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Dad is full gsd and mom is lab/Australian Shepard. He has plenty to chew on plus some shoes 🏻 Ima give it time was just wondering cause my bf doesn’t think they will stand so I was gonna ask someone that seemed like they knew more. Thanks for replying. And what kind of gelatin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:09 AM

What an awesome mix! Not sure if those ears will go up. My childhood dog was more lab than GSD and has soft ears, but a wonderful temperament to grow up with.
The ears in a full bred GSD can go up and down and usually settle on up after teething. I would not expect a diet supplement to help with the ears. Just make sure your pup has a good diet over all because they grow so fast and nutrients need to go to muscle and bones and teeth more than the ears right now. I read that having some nice chewy things for the pup can help and since they are growing new teeth, it surely cannot hurt!

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:31 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
what kind of gelatin?
Just plain old unflavored gelatin you find in the supermarket next to the jello. I've never used it, but I've seen it recommended by others several times. I honestly have no idea if it works well or not, but it is the most frequently suggested supplement for ears. Search for gelatin in the forum and you'll see specifics on dosage.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page