Ear damage - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By middleofnowhere

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Ear damage

What is advisable to stay away from in order to not damage a pup's ears? Is, like, touching them not advised, or rough play with other dogs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:02 AM
Master Member

A lot of people immediately go for the ears when interacting with a puppy. There is a chance that ears can be damaged by rough or too much handling or even dietary deficiencies. I think genetics play a big part since some ears come up despite not getting any special attention and others never do even if the owner does everything correctly. I would still make sure to gently handle the ears and make sure my pup was okay with me looking in them, touching, cleaning, ect... If upright ears are a big deal then make sure your pup comes from a strong background of ear coming up on their own without taping. I'v had two GSD's, one LC and one stock coat, neither had any issues with their ears coming up. I think sometimes owner sabotage themselves with incorrect taping and trying to force ears upright before they are ready. If you are going to go that route get someone who has done it successfully vs. winging it on your own via the internet.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:17 AM

We never rub/massage our pups ears when they are little. I also give gelatin in their meals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 12:00 PM
Crowned Member

best thing is for the humans to the heck relax about it.
Sabis mom and Pawsed like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 12:02 PM
Knighted Member

My neighbor, across the street, has a GSD. And he was warning me never to touch my puppy's ears because I could damage them. I've been around GSDs most of my life, but had never heard that one before, so I asked my Vet about it. She said there's nothing at all to worry about! A puppy's ears can be damaged by rough play with other dogs or puppies, but even that is pretty rare, normal petting or massaging of the ears is fine!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

First of all, thanks to everyone who responded. I welcome all information and opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
best thing is for the humans to the heck relax about it.
I agree with you, middleofnowhere, I think that people shouldn't be so worried about their dog's ears, unless they are going to show them or something. However, I do not want to mess something about my possible future puppy up because of ignorance. I would like to be a well informed dog owner, if I decide to get a pup. (And I love learning, especially about animals.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG])
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page