8mon old puppy ears not up - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Edisimke
  • 2 Post By wolfy dog
  • 1 Post By Pawsed

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

8mon old puppy ears not up

Hello, i have a long hair gsd 8mon old and his ears have been up and down. Tried taping, supplements, raw fed, hes a big boy close to 90 pounds. He had bad overbite and when everyone said it wont change, it did now he has good scisor bite. When it comes to ears sometimes one or another is up. At home its allways down but when i take him for a walk i take tape off and his ears are up for the rest of the walk. His parents and siblings all have good ears. Wonder if window is closed for them to stand up or hope for best later on? Taped with all possible methods and it doesnt really help, maybe surgical tape lightly taped is the best for him. I’m tired of retaping everyday, and with skin bond glue and special inserts didnt help many times seems that it made it worse.. i guess i just hope someone had similar situation. Maybe cause hes big... i give him bones, gelatin, goats milk, raw diet etc .. any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Some pics with ears down , up (usually 5min max) and taped with surgical tape
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E7975D13-5BEB-44B1-89A7-9A2D4DB9E49E_1549735499714.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	517983   Click image for larger version

Name:	E13EEB7B-17EA-4F73-BC9A-2AF83985EC00_1549735522547.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	517985   Click image for larger version

Name:	03C9D3B7-27B7-4049-B1BA-9B044F30D486_1549735560744.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	517987  
atomic likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:55 PM
Crowned Member

He is a beautiful dog. I doubt his ears will stand at this age. However, if you decide to continue taping, tape the ears and leave them alone. You should not be taping every day. Leave them alone and try to tape every two weeks. I know he will probably take them off in a few days, but the longer you leave them in the better. Just monitor for irritation and infection.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 03:16 PM
Crowned Member

I personally would leave them as they are, accept the ears and love the dog no matter what. Incorrect taping can also irritate the ears and work against it.
atomic and Mei like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 04:55 PM

I have faith both ears will be up. Just don't let it bother you. Just a late bloomer
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

I really hope he is late bloomer since his bite fixed itself, i wanted him to be a dog show since i have other one thats more working breed.. i love him much but that bugs me, i wont lie 😞
Googled a lot too, not many cases like ours but there are some .. thank u for reply
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:02 AM

I agree with Wolfy Dog and would leave the ears alone. Taping, as you have found, can sometimes do more harm than good. I'm a firm believer that if ears are going to come up, they will do so on their own.

I don't know what type of showing you have in mind, but long haired shepherds cannot be shown in AKC shows. The hair length is considered a fault, but I like the look and own one myself.

That said, your dog is beautiful whatever his ears choose to do.

As for late bloomers, I think my neighbor's dog holds the record. She has a German Shepherd/Husky cross whose ears didn't come up. He is now 4 years old, and a few months ago, one ear stood. A couple of weeks ago, the other one came up, all on their own! They have never been taped or glued. I guess there is always hope.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:52 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Since he's a long coat and has extra fur on his ears, rather than putting in inserts or taping, you could try gluing the edges of the ears together with a little eyelash glue. In that second photo it looks like they practically touch each other anyway.

That may or may not work, but it's not something you should have to continually fuss with and it probably won't bother him either. As it starts to wear off, simply re-glue. It could take awhile, so be patient and leave them glued for a couple of months. If at that point they don't stand on their own, they probably won't ever.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page