glue pulled hair out - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsed View Post
I'm not a fan of doing any of these things with a dog's ears. I think it is almost always unnecessary and it can do damage to the ears if not done right. If you dog's ear have ever been up, then they have an extremely good chance of coming up on their own.

I see from other threads that they were up before he started teething. It's normal for them to go down during the teething stage and come back up months later.

In the past we have had 2 dogs that didn't have erect ears before they were 8+ months old. Someone here stated that they had to wait a year for one ear to come up.

It just takes time and lots and lots of patience on your part. Give the dog a chance to do this on his own and give him lots of things to chew on. He's still very young.
completely get what ur saying about not wanting to mess with the dogs ears but I have been told by many people that they listened to what people said about oh they will go up leave them alone and they never went up my dog tends to shake his head and knock his ears down in the am im assuming its cuz he doesn't dig the feeling of his ears standing cuz nothing wrong with is ears and gluing or taping is a method to help stubborn ears stand if they don't end up standing im ok with it but I wanted to atleast try to help them a lil

Last edited by Lisa Brooks; 07-23-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Lisa Brooks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 392
All dogs shake their ears. I can't see how this would keep them from going up. Just my 2 cents worth.

Unless the ears are damaged, I believe they will be fine and come up on their own. Some take longer than others. But you have to do what you have to do.

Best of luck to you and your dog.
Pawsed is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsed View Post
All dogs shake their ears. I can't see how this would keep them from going up. Just my 2 cents worth.

Unless the ears are damaged, I believe they will be fine and come up on their own. Some take longer than others. But you have to do what you have to do.

Best of luck to you and your dog.
thanks and I get that I justread on a thread before that and this guy had a puppy that shook his head a lot and it stopped his ears from going up I could be mistaken .there are so many theory's on ears going up
Lisa Brooks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:57 PM
Crowned Member
 
Sabis mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Brooks View Post
completely get what ur saying about not wanting to mess with the dogs ears but I have been told by many people that they listened to what people said about oh they will go up leave them alone and they never went up my dog tends to shake his head and knock his ears down in the am im assuming its cuz he doesn't dig the feeling of his ears standing cuz nothing wrong with is ears and gluing or taping is a method to help stubborn ears stand if they don't end up standing im ok with it but I wanted to atleast try to help them a lil
What if your dogs ears never stand? Will it somehow make him less able to be your pet? I am seriously confused by all this ear nonsense. He will be whatever he is meant to be.

That said, as you have been told before you are very likely damaging the ears by messing with them. It is possible that they would have stood on their own, now they may not. And you are causing pain and discomfort. One of Shadows ears was tipped until right around a year old. I didn't care and it never crossed my mind to worry about if it would ever stand. Please stop messing with his poor ears. Worry about nutrition, worry about manners, worry about health and let him do what he's supposed to do.
Sabis mom is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
What if your dogs ears never stand? Will it somehow make him less able to be your pet? I am seriously confused by all this ear nonsense. He will be whatever he is meant to be.

That said, as you have been told before you are very likely damaging the ears by messing with them. It is possible that they would have stood on their own, now they may not. And you are causing pain and discomfort. One of Shadows ears was tipped until right around a year old. I didn't care and it never crossed my mind to worry about if it would ever stand. Please stop messing with his poor ears. Worry about nutrition, worry about manners, worry about health and let him do what he's supposed to do.
I did say that I took his ears down because u guys have been telling me to let them try to stand on there own and that's when I noticed his hair came off with the glue so that's when I asked will his hair grow back and if gluing his ears could have damaged them I also said that I haven't noticed anyone mentioning hair coming out or if gluing or taping could further damage the ears or it be a none evasive way to get them up now if flashes ears never stand up that's just fine but I wanted to at least try and I wanted to at least do it the right way If I do decide to do it again now I herd a few different things about time frames of when correcting them would be impossible so yea that's where im at and again if they don't standup again that is ok ill love him regardless but id love it if they did stand and I don't see the problem with ASSISTING them im not the only person to have tried this I just want more information and to see if any one else has used a glue and had the hair come off when using the tea pee method of helping ears stand
Sabis mom likes this.
Lisa Brooks is offline  
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 51
hey guys so I took the glue out of flashes ears like everyone suggested his ears have been up but wobbly for about an hour now yay but the tear mender glue pulled out a lot of my boys hair now his ears look funny his hair will grow back right and did this do damage to his ears ive read in other threads that its normal but no one goes in to detail about how the glue takes out the hair and if it damages the ears (original post )
Lisa Brooks is offline  
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:59 PM
Master Member
 
LeoRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 689
People with Dobes, Great Danes, and other cropped breeds usually use something like medical grade adhesive remover or oil (baby oil, plain mineral oil, or even some type of cooking oil) to dissolve the adhesives in the Skin Bond and tape. Just ripping everything off pulls the hair out from the roots, which is likely what happened to your pup. It generally grows back, though.

Lily: ETD PKD-T ADP-L5/CH ADP-L1(Pr) CNSD
Leo: U-CA ETD PKD-T D-CRO-Preliminary S-ADP-L5/CH S-ADP-L1(Pr) S-ADP-L2(Pr) CNSD
Ilka: BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD PKD-T CRO-1 NCO-1 S-ADP-L4 D-CRO-Preliminary (2009-2017) RIP
LeoRose is offline  
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:11 PM
Elite Member
 
Nurse Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Deceased
Posts: 1,759
He might have scratched the ears with the hind foot and since the hairs are glued together he hooked them with his toenails and pulled them out. It will grow back.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
Nurse Bishop is offline  
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRose View Post
People with Dobes, Great Danes, and other cropped breeds usually use something like medical grade adhesive remover or oil (baby oil, plain mineral oil, or even some type of cooking oil) to dissolve the adhesives in the Skin Bond and tape. Just ripping everything off pulls the hair out from the roots, which is likely what happened to your pup. It generally grows back, though.
I used vitamin e oil to remove the glue from his ears but hair still came out that's why I was worried maybe its cuz he was scratching like the other poster stated
Lisa Brooks is offline  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 10:25 AM
Elite Member
 
Nurse Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Deceased
Posts: 1,759
I would gently clean of the front side of the ears with a warm soapy cloth and wipe off, then apply a thin layer 1% cortisone cream. I love this stuff for irritations of all kinds. Put it on twice a day.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
Nurse Bishop is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome