Does anyone use Quinoa in meals? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone use Quinoa in meals?

I occassionally make doggie stew in which basic ingredients are ground turkey, brown rice & assorted veggies. I would like to use Quinoa instead of the rice. Has anyone else fed their dogs Quinoa? Any problems? Would I use same amounts of Quinoa as I do brown rice? It is one of the best grains for us humans...so I'm wondering if it is just as good for dogs?

Thanks again for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 11:35 AM

Re: Does anyone use Quinoa in meals?

I have not cooked Quinoa, but I do know that some of the higher end foods have it in them. Natura's Karma (which is an organic feed) has Quinoa and Breeder's choice Pinnacle also uses it.

From Wikipedia:

Quinoa was of great nutritional importance in pre-Columbian Andean civilizations, being secondary only to the potato, and followed in third place by maize. In contemporary times this crop has come to be highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content is very high (12%–18%), making it a healthy choice for vegetarians and vegans. Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete protein source.[5] It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten free and considered easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered as a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long-duration manned spaceflights.

Still not meat, but if you wanted to use it in place of another grain source in your doggie stew, I think it would be good for them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Crowned Member

I used it accidentally in Rafi's food once. He did GREAT on it! I know a couple other people also use it in their homecooked diets.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Knighted Member

The Honest Kitchen's newest canine formula includes it. I've fed it to my dogs and they've done well.

~Kristin

and the Balakai Mesa Mutts + a GSD
Yoda, CATCH3 GM AAD AS ASA AJ TN-E TG-E OGC EJC EAC WV-O NADAC Nov/Open Vers TSAD TMAG
Darby, CL1 CL2-S CL2-F CL2-H TN-N L1-PLT
India, CL1-F CL2-H CL1-S
ATB: GSDs Baron, Duke, All American JD
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Master Member

Yes, I feed our three quinoa instead of rice when I can. Not always because the box only lasts for a couple of meals. I'd really like to find it in bulk, like how rice comes...but honestly I haven't really done much research, yet. And, we eat it ourselves, although it usually goes to the dogs first, LOL.

No problems here - all three seem to do very well with it...even our male Golden who typically has a sensitive digestive system.

I use the same amount of quinoa as I would use feeding rice.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Knighted Member

LJ turned her nose up at it. I've read lots of good things about it though.

I'm wondering if a store like Whole Foods Market would have a larger box?

Joanne

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky)
Mila (GSD) Adopted from BDBH.

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Crowned Member

I did some google searching. It looks like a very good substitue for rice or potato, but looking at different sites the thing that would concern me is availability. Several sites I checked sell bulk but it is currently out of stock.

Here is one that sells bulk http://quinoabulk.com/ but doesn't have the 50# available. The do have 4 - 26oz packages.

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Master Member

Well, look at that! ...unbelievable, quinoa bulk - amazing! Thanks for Googling.

I'm going to see if the brand that I get around here carries it in larger quantities through other purchasing venues and retailers.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Crowned Member

I can get quinoa in bulk at the co-op and at a few of the health food stores. The problem is that is costs 3 times as much as millet and twice as much as brown rice! I was able to get organic millet in bulk yesterday for 79cents a pound so that's what went into today's (2 week) batch of food.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowI can get quinoa in bulk at the co-op and at a few of the health food stores.
You know what? ...maybe I'm just not paying very good attention. I loathe grocery shopping, so I get in and out as fast as I can, lol. We have a great co-op about 30 min from us, I should check that out. And, we also have a Fresh Market which is like Whole Foods that I can check. You guys/gals have created a fire under my butt!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page