Fromm? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By kaydub_u
  • 1 Post By crittersitter

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Fromm?

I'm going to switch Obi's kibble. He is currently on Victor's Ocean Fish Formula but, since their changes it just doesn't sit as well with him. It went from his favorite kibble to where he would rather not eat all day than eat it. Plus his stool hasn't been the same since we got the new bag. It's always loose now and Obi has no medical problems, he just got his yearly exam when he turned 15 months.

I've heard a lot about Fromm, I was wondering which bags anyone who has used it prefers.

Also, if there is anything new about Fromm since this FDA stuff, I'd appreciate the information.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:06 AM
Crowned Member

I rotate through all the grain-in Fromm Four Star varieties except Pork & Applesauce (which gives one of my dogs the runs). We occasionally rotate in a bag of Fromm Gold (grain-in), which has at least as good an ingredient list, at a lower price.

My kibble-fed dogs have done extremely well on it. We actually tested taurine, and it was perfect. One of my dogs is probably 12-13 y.o. and has eaten it for half his life since we've owned him and just got an A+ at his annual physical.

Keep on eye on our FDA thread -- that's where you'd find updates, as that thread keeps moving when people find stuff worth sharing. The bottom line is the FDA and the researchers looking at it haven't a clue what's going on, and the last paper was just a bunch of speculation based on correlations that may end up being spurious (breed, under-feeding compared to the recommended amount on the package, differing gut flora, along with peas/legumes/fiber).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:51 AM
Master Member

We feed Fromm, grain in. All the dogs love it. We do the large breed gold, and large breed puppy gold. If they start to go off it, we switch to the regular gold for the next bag, no transition problems. Sometimes we mix the two. I haven’t tried any of the different proteins out with success, Lyka does best on the gold. Why fix what isn’t broken? Lol.

They all have great coats, mostly solid stools (unless DH or one of the kids sneak them human treats), and haven’t had an issue with any of the dogs rejecting it. They get bored sometimes of the same food all the time, but like I said, I just switch to the regular gold for a bag worth, and they are great going back to the large breed for about another 6 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:58 AM
Knighted Member

We feed Fromm Gold also, grain-in. I used one of their grain-free varieties until all the warnings about taurine and heart issues started arising. I'm following the FDA updates, ect, and would make switches if more information comes to light, but I do not want to make any changes at this time as all the dogs seem to be doing well and like their food.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:41 AM
Crowned Member

I do rotate foods and found a few more to rotate with all the dm scare. I feed the Fromm Large breed gold , Fromm highlander bees lamb And Oates barley, and Annamaet Extra. They have been on Annamaet Extra for a few weeks and doing good with the switch. I add either plain yogurt, eggs or dehydrated beef patties - Stella’s chewies it primal or fresh meat. I will be adding Farmina and dr Tim’s not yet added to the rotation. I have not yet tried the new victors. I do give beefs patties twice a week- primal or k9 cravings. Sometimes they get honest kitchen or the paradigm but that’s not on a regular basis. The dogs do get bored so it is good to change things up as long as they do well with the changes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 08-26-2019 at 09:43 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I rotate through all the grain-in Fromm Four Star varieties except Pork & Applesauce (which gives one of my dogs the runs). We occasionally rotate in a bag of Fromm Gold (grain-in), which has at least as good an ingredient list, at a lower price.

Keep on eye on our FDA thread -- that's where you'd find updates, as that thread keeps moving when people find stuff worth sharing.
Thank you I've bookmarked the thread, I appreciate the tip! I was using the grain in Victor foods to rotate through with him but, he always prefered their fish formula. I liked that Fromm seems like a similar quality food with plenty of bags to switch through. I also like that they offer bags that are more than 15 pounds and less than 30, I don't like his kibble lasting more than 2 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post
I havenít tried any of the different proteins out with success, Lyka does best on the gold. Why fix what isnít broken? Lol.

They all have great coats, mostly solid stools (unless DH or one of the kids sneak them human treats), and havenít had an issue with any of the dogs rejecting it.
I think Obi has become a picky eater too. I've tried cycling through the Victor grain in food but, he always preferred their Ocean Fish variety so it'd be in the cycle more often. When they first changed their formula I tried 2 other bags of Victor that I ended up donated because he just turned his nose up at them, got the Ocean Fish again and he ate it. I knew I was gonna have to find a new brand for him. That was one thing I really liked about Victor though, he is and was healthy on it. He has an incredibly soft and shiny coat. So thanks for the info, hopefully he just just as well on Fromm but actually enjoys a meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
I'm following the FDA updates, ect, and would make switches if more information comes to light, but I do not want to make any changes at this time as all the dogs seem to be doing well and like their food.
That was my original plan but, he just doesn't like any of their kibble as much since Victor changed their formula. I've tried 3 bags that he would eat before. I've heard good things about Fromm, but figured it was worth asking for specific opinions. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
I do rotate foods and found a few more to rotate with all the dm scare. I feed the Fromm Large breed gold , Fromm highlander bees lamb And Oates barley, and Annamaet Extra. They have been on Annamaet Extra for a few weeks and doing good with the switch. I add either plain yogurt, eggs or dehydrated beef patties - Stellaís chewies it primal or fresh meat. I will be adding Farmina and dr Timís not yet added to the rotation. I have not yet tried the new victors. I do give beefs patties twice a week- primal or k9 cravings. Sometimes they get honest kitchen or the paradigm but thatís not on a regular basis. The dogs do get bored so it is good to change things up as long as they do well with the changes.
I'll have to look into a lot of those names you said you add to their kibble. Right now we have a Yorkie that is basically going into kidney failure and on a bland diet so we have been cooking chicken and ground beef and rice for his meals as per vets suggestion. So Obi has been getting that mixed in his food as well because he just knows if their food is different. It's been helping me get through the rest of this bag until I've finally gotten low enough to be ready to mix it into the new brand I choose and get rid of it.
sebrench and sebrench like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:28 PM

I did Fromm grain inclusive pup formula for both of my GSD pups the last 3 years. One did great on it up to adulthood when I switched. The other couldn't tolerate it.
kaydub_u likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page