Looking into switching dog food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Looking into switching dog food

I think I've read somewhere on this forum that Victor has recently made some changes to their dog food. A few of our dogs seem to be not liking the food much and we are now considering switching onto a different brand.

What are your opinions on Sport Dog Food? It does not look like they have taurine added in the ingredients, but has a natural source of taurine (0.10%).
https://sportdogfood.com/police-k-9-...-fish-formula/

"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them." Isaiah 11:6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:38 AM
Elite Member

Both my dogs still eat Victor. We don't feed the grain free version, makes my dogs lose too much weight. So we weren't really affected by the changes. Never tried Sport Dog Food, but then again my choices are a bit limited where I live.

Kate

Cafall vom Heinolf (GSD)
Efa vom Strafford Hall (GSD)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:02 PM

We feed dehydrated food and our dogs love it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I put up a recent post on Sport Dog food and am currently staying with Victor......the one I feed has the blood meal very low in the mix and they are doing ok.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
I put up a recent post on Sport Dog food and am currently staying with Victor......the one I feed has the blood meal very low in the mix and they are doing ok.
Which flavor do you feed? Mine are currently on Victor High-Energy, but the blood meal is around #9 in the ingredients.

"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them." Isaiah 11:6
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:29 PM

None of my dogs have ever cared for Victor's, even before the change. I tried it on and off over the years and with 5 different dogs. Go figure. Since I supplement mine with lots of meat and eggs I'm trying Dr. Gary's Best Breed German. So far they love it. I considered Sport Dog Food but decided I could go with a lower protein kibble since I supplement with protein and spend the money on meat I add. It's cooked at lower temps, contains Green-lipped Sea Mussel and uses non GMO grains. And to quote their website:
We only use EU-approved ingredients. If an ingredient is not good enough for you to eat, it may not be used in our food.

For a U.S. company to sell into the European Union it must use what are known as “EU-approved” ingredients. To be an EU-approved ingredient the source of that ingredient MUST be fit for human consumption. Chewy carries it.
https://www.bestbreed.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page