Sport Dog Food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Sport Dog Food

I have not seen any threads on this and people are raving about the food but the red flag to me is the fact they won't tell you who does the milling and due to increased sales they recently changed their manufacturer

Any insights?

Also I am not too keen on the coconut oil - some studies in Auburn and Cornell reflect negatively on coconut oil in the diet of detection dogs.

Bracing myself to possibly switch from Victor or at least mix things up. Also talking with a local butcher who makes a raw blend.

https://sportdogfood.com/

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 07:53 PM
Elite Member

A few years ago I was using Sport Dog food as a back to raw feeding. They had a beef formula that didn't have peas or salmon oil, which my dog can't have. It was pricey but it worked well when we needed it.
I didn't purchase it often so I was stunned when I went to order a bag and all of their food line had changed ingredients and names. I didn't bother to research what happened. IE did they sell out or what. I just gave up on them which was a shame because they had a quality food I liked that wasn't advertised as so but was L.I.D.

I know not helpful but sounds like they are changing again. Seems to be a going trend industry wide.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 08:38 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know about Sport Dog but I think Farmina doesn't have coconut or much in the way of legumes. It might be worth looking at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 08:59 PM
Master Member

I haven't looked into Sport Dog, but I would want to know who manufactures for them before considering it seriously. A Google search didn't turn up any information as to who does their manufacturing.

Have you ever looked into Dr. Tim's foods? If I find that I need to switch away from Victor with the new ingredient make up Dr. Tim's will likely be the first food I will try. I'll be opening my first bag of the reformulated Victor food in the next couple weeks, so we shall see how it goes. I'm hoping to not have to change, as Victor works well for both dogs and is affordable too.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 01:40 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
I have not seen any threads on this and people are raving about the food but the red flag to me is the fact they won't tell you who does the milling and due to increased sales they recently changed their manufacturer

Any insights?

Also I am not too keen on the coconut oil - some studies in Auburn and Cornell reflect negatively on coconut oil in the diet of detection dogs.

Bracing myself to possibly switch from Victor or at least mix things up. Also talking with a local butcher who makes a raw blend.

Uh oh, really? I feed a tsp a day to my scenting dog.

Yana

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

For the scenting study - I think it was a major component of the diet but Sport Dog has it at 10% which seems like that is the main fat. I have actually supplemented the 24/20 formula with grapeseed oil which is higher in linoeic than corn oil to good measure but Coconut does have some benefits for the coat I think. May not be the total amount but the relative amount. But a high fat diet vs a high protein diet does seem to let them burn cooler. I also don't feed lamb as I have observed my dog being hotter on lamb. Beef and pork seem to work best with Beau

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12893164

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?...earch=26106477

More fat, less protein improves detection dogs' sniffers | Cornell Chronicle

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 06-30-2019 at 07:23 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post

Any insights?

A couple of years ago I looked into them b/c of the "legume" sensitivity my Grand-Dog had. I found a couple of my emails (looking to see if I saved more)

Company was started around 2013 by a young couple (the Posa's) who first were distributor's only of specialized brands.

Then, about 2 years ago they decided to make their own food.

We had a few emails with the couple asking questions:

1/8/17 3:12pm Phillip Posa
Thank you for your interest. Here are some answers to your questions

Texas Mills manufacturers our formulas. They are located in Texas.
Our Fish Meal is still preserved with Ethoxyquin. However our other proteins are preserved with Naturox.
All our ingredients, including Proteins, Chelate minerals, vitamins, and supplements are made and manufactured in the US.

The use of Ethoxyquin changed as they became more knowledgeable of ingredients.

ME: 5:46 pm: Sorry to bother you again Philip, but apparently I deleted one of my questions before sending.
Can you tell me about the quality of the meats and vegetables that Texas Mills use in your Sport Dog Formulas?

1/8/17 9:22pm from Mr. Posa:

"Re: Quality. Not exactly sure what type of answer you are looking for. Please explain a little more so I can try to elaborate.

All our ingredients, including Proteins, Chelate minerals, vitamins, and supplements are made and manufactured in the US."

The ingredients may be made and manufactured in the USA but all not likely to be "sourced" in the USA.

I did explain but the email communication stopped.

As for who their manufacturer is NOW - it is "proprietary" !!!
According to the Southampton Press in 4/18:
"Their formulas, which include specialized chicken, buffalo, turkey and whitefish mixes, are made at several factories and fulfillment centers across the country in an effort to offer customers speedy shipping within the continental United States."

Also, who is formulating the ingredients for their food????

Moms
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am glad I asked. There were enough red flags for me to go hhhhhmmmmmm

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

Sport dog I heard will not give out their manufacturing information. I had called them. Not sure why.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:31 PM
Crowned Member

If you have a knowledgeable, local independent store that sells it, you might try asking the owner if he or she knows who manufacturers it. Sometimes these people are a vast source of "insider info" gleaned from distributors and even company reps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page