DCM - list of brands - new food? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

I have been following the whole discussion about DCM caused from grain free food recipes high in peas and lentles. My news feed has an article today with a list of specific bands of food released by the FDA on this with the number of reported cases.

The following dog food brands were named the most in reported DCM cases, according to the FDA:

Acana: 67
Zignature: 64
Taste of the Wild: 53
4Health: 32
Earthborn Holistic: 32
Blue Buffalo: 31
Nature’s Domain: 29
Fromm: 24
Merrick: 16
California Natural: 15
Natural Balance: 15
Orijen: 12
Nature’s Variety: 11
NutriSource: 10
Nutro: 10
Rachael Ray Nutrish: 10

The brand of food I have been feeding my dogs is on this list, and one of them passed away a few years ago suddenly from what I think may have been related to his heart at the age of 6 before all this came to light. I want to switch to a different brand of food and was wondering what recommendations you all would make based off this list? I supplement her food with raw / cooked meats every so often (mostly deboned deskinned chicken thighs, and ground beef) but she eats mostly kibbleDCM - list of brands - new food?-20190102_212926_1561754726386.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:51 PM
Crowned Member

We have a massive thread on this topic -- including toward the end some serious criticism of the FDA. I think you should take the time to wade through this thread -- it's a lot, but over many months we've really tried to work through the data, published journal articles, and available science together:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...omyopathy.html

I think you'll learn a lot beyond the press releases and misleading spin by the Big 3 manufacturers so that you can make a more informed decision.

If you're a TL;DR type: I fed Fromm when this all started, and I'm still feeding Fromm to my kibble-fed dogs. My dogs' taurine levels are normal (I actually checked), and heart function is fine. One of them is at least 12 years old and still going strong (despite being a survivor of heartworm disease that was with him until middle age when we rescued him), and he's eaten Fromm for about 6 years. I'm not switching to Purina, Hills, or Mars over this.

Last edited by Magwart; 06-28-2019 at 05:54 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I've actually followed that post for a while, along with reading through some general "what should I feed my dog" threads. I've been subscribed here for quite a while and just lurk in the background and read differt updates and news. But the way my last dog died leads me to believe that this study has some credibility. Just like with anything though I'm sure the taurine levels and leguime diet effects some dogs more or less than another, even ones from the same breed. Just looking for a decent food to switch to, as I would rather be safe than sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 08:51 PM
Knighted Member

I feed Natural Balance lamb and rice. It's limited ingredient, not grain free (rice and rice bran) and supplemented with taurine.

Both my dogs are very healthy, and my 12 year old still has a lot of get up and go, despite being nearly deaf.

It's certainly NOT cheap, though!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:02 PM
Crowned Member

Have you looked at Victor? If you want a mid-range, affordable food, that's not on the list, that's an easy option.

If you want something more like Orijen/Acana, at a high price point not on the list, then I'd look at RAWZ and Open Farm. Or maybe Farmina, since there don't seem to be parallel reports of DCM in Europe. Just keep in mind that not being on the FDA's list could just mean that a brand has tiny market share in the U.S. and thus will be under-represented in the data generally.

If you're worried about taurine and are supplementing with meat anyway, you might consider giving chunks of raw/frozen beef heart.

Last edited by Magwart; 06-28-2019 at 09:07 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:17 PM
Master Member

I've been happy with Victor. They have a pretty broad range of foods with varying amounts of protein, fat, and kcals/cup so it is easy to pretty closely match what you are switching from, which can make the change easier.

Others to consider are Dr. Tim's, Annamaet and pretty much anything else made by Ohio Pet Foods.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page