Attention to those who feed Victor Dog food - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Attention to those who feed Victor Dog food

Victor recently changed their packaging on all of their formulas but that was not the only change. Along with the new bags, all of the formulas have changed. All formulas now have blood meal due to a reduction in meat meal as a protein source. The grain free formulas have peas higher on the ingredient list. Some have now also added garbanzo beans into the ingredient list. Formulas like the Yukon salmon moved salmon out of the first few ingredients. All formulas also now have Tetra Sodium Pyrophosphate and Vegetable Oil in them. They have added the blood meal to still be able to claim the same protein levels while decreasing the amount of meat in them. Victor also removed the general analysis tab that they had on their website for each formula and now only have the guaranteed analysis. Calorie content per cup decreased on almost every formula as well. I am disappointed in the change in the brand and wanted to give others a heads up. It seems the popularity got to them and in order to keep prices the same they needed to modify the ingredients and in my opinion, downgrade. I will be switching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019, 05:32 PM

Ugh. After way too much research I settled on Victor and now this? Bah bah bah. Humbug.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:37 PM

thanks for the heads up! I'm still feeding Beaverdam but now if I want to switch out I'll look past Victor. Have you checked VErus?
mmags likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019, 08:28 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not switching. It's a good food and my dogs have done well on it. I'll switch when I see a reason too.
Clare, tc68, Kahrg4 and 1 others like this.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:09 PM
Crowned Member

Good to know. Thanks for the info.
mmags likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
thanks for the heads up! I'm still feeding Beaverdam but now if I want to switch out I'll look past Victor. Have you checked VErus?
I have not but I have seriously been considering Beaverdam, specifically the high energy bag. How do you like it?
Old 03-28-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I'm not switching. It's a good food and my dogs have done well on it. I'll switch when I see a reason too.

I’m doing a “wait and see” also.
Kahrg4 likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Old 03-28-2019, 11:40 AM
Mei
Master Member

Good to know thanks. Mei's current bag is almost out. We'll see. She's beginning to lose taste for it...

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
Old 03-28-2019, 12:33 PM

Well that's certainly a BIG downgrade. What a shame.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:41 PM
Master Member

Victor and Sport dog are two of the brands I've been rotating around on...for the last year or so I've been trying different flavors from both brands trying to keep (Beau) my almost 14 year old interested in eating--he seems to be willing to eat and do well on most formulas that I've tried from either brand...he was raised the first 12 years of his life on Verus...gradually lost interest....then came to a screeching halt...that's when I spent time reading/researching to come up with Victor and/or Sport....I also have two young Aussies that do great on either brand--good appetite-energy-coat and poop---I will continue feeding as I have been...until the dogs "tell' me one way or the other that they're not doing well or loose their appetite for Victor

I spent a good bit of time trying to decide on a good quality kibble--looking at ingredients---where the ingredients are sourced from etc...most of you know the drill....I really--REALLY wish companies...all companies (not just dog food)....would leave a good thing alone and not try to fix something when it's not broken...to the OP thanks for the heads up
tc68 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in