Attention to those who feed Victor Dog food - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmags View Post
The only reason the animal protein content went up is due to the increased use of blood meal, not any meat meal products. I didnt mind blood meal in some of their formulas but now they are overusing it to still be able to claim certain protein percentages without actually using meat.

It went up 2%. Was it due to the blood meal? Did you call and ask? Or are you assuming? And again, if they need to increase the protein just slightly without creating and imbalance of other nutrients/minerals, there is nothing wrong with that.

Blood meal is no more evil than poultry by-products that are necks/hearts/feet/livers/etc. All things I feed to my dogs as part of their meals. And if blood meal is processed in high heat then it's rendered virtually inert per the nutritional information I found, in that case it added nothing but still has to be listed as an ingredient.

Bottom line is...to each their own. I will again advise people to call the manufacturer, with the added knowledge of label changes required by the AAFCO, to verify what exactly was changed and why.
NancyJ and tc68 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Rotating all of the Ancient grains formulas as well as the large breed from Muenster. And for Beaverdam ill do the high energy 26/18.

I’m always interested in adding a food into the rotation. Thanks!

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #53 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:57 PM
Crowned Member

@Jax08 The does makes sense with the blood meal and high heat. I can understand this view especially at the same time in regards to labeling especially after all the dogs with food related or unknown cardiomyopathy. AAFCO would up set higher guide lines which is good to know. It is a bit more upsetting if ingredients are not listed even if minut- I’m not sure how that is decided. Is that the norm in dog food companies - I feel like I need to become a biophysicist/nutrionist / chemist myself to see what determines this. When i did pick up a bag of food Saturday, the owner of my local feed store Was a bit baffled when I asked about the food. They were not notified of any changes and always are so that all started to made much sense -what you had mentioned.
I am very careful as I can be to use the staff’s words at Victors words by verbatim. I do urge people to call and ask questions also. They did say change and a few times. It was said they always put the ingriedents listed on the bag regardless whether that is the political answer-could be and makes sense. I would rather them be upfront if that is not the case above all else. I don’t know why they put tetrasodium pyrophospate in the food or was it fact in there to begin with. I am still trying to learn the best about my foods and skin care etc. what safe what’s not back different views. It can be a challenge to like everything they put in something -even my favorite things in case with many variables. I do now make sure I change things up even if I like everything in it.
Jax08 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 04-01-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

@Jenny720. Thank you for calling! I'm swamped at work right now and cant.

post #55 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the heads up! What will you be switching to?
post #56 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:02 PM
Crowned Member

@Jax08 sure!

post #57 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Rotating all of the Ancient grains formulas as well as the large breed from Muenster. And for Beaverdam ill do the high energy 26/18.
A warning for Muenster's Large Breed formula - the kibble size is rather large if you haven't seen it yet. Maybe a Nickle/Quarter sized disc. Makes it easier to train with in a way. I would have kept with it but the fish formula works best for my two.
mmags likes this.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #58 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:09 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have been feeding Victor (primarily the high energy formula) for a number of years and it is the first food that gave Beau solid stools and a slick coat. I talked with them about the changes too and will watch for impact when the food comes out. The blood meal does not bother me, particularly if it gives a better calciumhosphorus ratio. The removal of flax DELIGHTS me. .....

I have had excellent blood panels on the food and will continue to test annually and evaluate knowing that changes have occurred. The vegetable oil is very low on the list and, I also do add fish oil to the dogs' diet.

EDIT: FWIW they did tell me they plan on putting the General Analysis back up on the page once they have enough batches of the new formula go through testing to get typical numbers
tc68, Jax08, dogfaeries and 1 others like this.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 04-02-2019 at 08:13 PM.
post #59 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:41 AM

blood meal

would make the blood meal all but useless and would not increase the protein levels in the food
post #60 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:20 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Personally, I add corn oil to Seger's food when he's trialing for the fat so vege oil doesn't bother me at all. And it could be they have to list thst instead of saying vitamin e, which comes from vegetable oils.
Interesting! Corn Oil (high in linoleic) is good for energy burn and for detection dogs (studies on that one with working dogs) I add grapeseed oil (also high in linoleic but no GMO risk and I use for high temp cooking because it is quite heat stable) in addition to the grapeseed as they can get a little dandruffy even with the high fat formula.

My dogs tend to do better on beef and most dog foods are chicken based. Beef tends to burn cooler than chicken (even though lamb and venison burn hot) I like having three protein sources in the food as well so not jonesing to run away particularly now that they got rid of that flax (which goes rancid very fast - so much that in my house I grind flax seeds in a grinder immediately before I consume them) and dogs get little benefit from ALA in the first place. Rather give the DHA and EPA from a quaility fish oil.
Jax08 likes this.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 04-03-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in