Attention to those who feed Victor Dog food - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:49 PM
Crowned Member

Well...when my cats kill a mouse, bird or rabbit, I never find any evidence of blood so I"m assuming they eat that and these creatures like to have dinner on my porch so I would notice. Luckily, my dogs have not killed anything so I don't know what they do with the blood.

I wasn't in any meeting for Victor dog food so I can't speak for what was said but IMO, if the nutrition and quality is still there so my dogs still do well on it, and they are trying to keep their prices in a range where normal people can still purchase their product rather than a huge jump in price, more power to them.

And just an FYI...some formulas had such small changes that it should make zero difference in the quality. Beef and rice - one grain was added in front of the pork meal. Protein content went up 1%. That is to small to even notice. Previously 68% protein from meat, now 77%.

Nutro Pro contained blood meal prior to the change. I just took a picture of the bag I have. It was the 4th ingredient, now it's the second. Previously it was 10% protein from grains and veges. Now it's 8% from grains and proteins. Same ingredients, different order.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:08 PM

Obviously it's your choice to feed the newly formulated Victor or not, loyal (who'd a thought that word would make so many people defensive) to Victor or not. But those that are concerned about the change in formulas should read this: https://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary.../ucm613305.htm
post #43 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:52 PM

I did not say people were "blindly loyal", as you quoted. And yes it is my judgement based on what I've seen on this forum over the years that SOME people will remain loyal to Victor and defend whatever changes they make. We are all entitled to our own opinions which by the way are "judgements" based on the facts we see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 02:39 PM
Crowned Member

LOL Nobody is defensive. Our point is that making a choice to not drop a food based on internet chatter does not make us "loyal...perhaps to a fault" (there I actually DID quote you, before I did a translation based on the implication of your sentence )

BTW...I feed raw to my working dogs. I feed Victor to the Husky and use Victor for training. So definitely no "loyalty" here.

General Post:

Per my friend, who works in the animal food industry, AAFCO made changes in the way things are being labeled. Many foods are having to change their ingredient list so it appears different but there are zero changes to the food. So when you look at your food, Victor or not, make sure you contact the company directly and not just take the word of internet chatter.
tc68 likes this.

Last edited by Jax08; 03-31-2019 at 02:47 PM.
post #45 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:54 PM

I used Victor Lamb and Rice bcs when ours was young, it was the only thing that didn't give him loose poop. After a year and a half we just switched from them even before I heard this, as a trial just for pure cost. Wolfgang won't eat any dry without it being topped with hot chicken so we went to Costco beef formula, since he's already chowing down a whole Costco rotisserie chicken per week anyway on top of his dry. So far so good with the poop situation.
post #46 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Obviously it's your choice to feed the newly formulated Victor or not, loyal (who'd a thought that word would make so many people defensive) to Victor or not. But those that are concerned about the change in formulas should read this: https://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary.../ucm613305.htm
I'm concerned with the changes too. Didn't say I wasn't. But I'm not so fickle. If my dog doesn't do well on the new formula, yes, I will change. But until then, I'll stick with Victor only because my dog likes it. Have you ever had a dog that is very picky about what he likes to eat? And on top of that, you had to go through 10 different brands/formulas before you find one that he likes to eat. How about this...when your dog doesn't like the food and he won't eat? Then you're constantly worried about it getting enough food to stay healthy. And when it doesn't eat, it won't have a regular poop schedule. Then you're waking up at odd hours to take it out because he won't go at his usual times.

Loyalty is usually a positive word. So when you used it as a fault, how can people not be defensive?! You may not have used the words "blindly loyal," but you certainly did imply it. This isn't about loyalty to Victor. This is about convenience and here's the phrase you hear a lot in the dog food world, "going with what works." Right now, it's working for my dog.
Jax08 likes this.
post #47 of 95 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:37 AM
Crowned Member

People should call the company direct to get information they need about any common concerns they may have, after any changes made in the food they feed. I also use Fromm and I had call them in the past a few times. It can be then decided what you want to do when you get those answers whether they are the ones you want or not. I’m always looking for additional foods to rotate with and to accommodate my dogs with what they need and fit into my budget at the time. I do not like feeding the same thing on a consistent basis there is no perfect kibble.

I did call again today. I was told the exact same thing that was told to me the previous two times- that I had already mentioned in past post. In addition - the tetrasodium pyrophosphate and vegetable oil was an added addition to their formula to make improvements. The blood is removed and processed with the chickens using a high heat. Vitamin packs are used in their formula to balance vitamins and minerals which are sourced in the USA.
tc68 and Jax08 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 04-01-2019 at 10:57 AM.
post #48 of 95 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
The protein from animal sources went up in the Nutra Pro all life stages with the change.
The animal protein increase is only because of the increased use of blood meal in the products, not because they are actually using more meat. I didnt mind blood meal in some of the formulas but now they are just overusing it as a means to still claim certain protein percentages without actually using meat meals. Blood meal is a cheap way that still appears as protein just like a meat meal when tested due to the amino acids present. But it is not the same and too much could cause organ stress due to the extreme amount of iron, phosphorus, and other things.
post #49 of 95 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Which formulas in both brands are you interested in?
Rotating all of the Ancient grains formulas as well as the large breed from Muenster. And for Beaverdam ill do the high energy 26/18.
dogfaeries likes this.
post #50 of 95 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
People should call the company direct to get information they need about any common concerns they may have, after any changes made in the food they feed. I also use Fromm and I had call them in the past a few times. It can be then decided what you want to do when you get those answers whether they are the ones you want or not. Iím always looking for additional foods to rotate with and to accommodate my dogs with what they need and fit into my budget at the time. I do not like feeding the same thing on a consistent basis there is no perfect kibble.

I did call again today. I was told the exact same thing that was told to me the previous two times- that I had already mentioned in past post. In addition - the tetrasodium pyrophosphate and vegetable oil was an added addition to their formula to make improvements. The blood meal is processed with the chickens using a high heat. Vitamin packs are used in their formula to balance vitamins and minerals which are sourced in the USA.
I suspect that the labeling changes are driving the whole blood meal order in the ingredients. My understanding, from a conversation with someone actuallt working in the industry, is If the blood is in the chicken then it has to be listed seperately now. Weird rules on when they can say water and when they can broth. The high heat, per the info I read over the weekend, would make the blood meal all but useless and would not increase the protein levels in the food. The increase in grains over veges might though.

Did they say if they actually changed their formulas other than the oil and tetrasodium. Personally, I add corn oil to Seger's food when he's trialing for the fat so vege oil doesn't bother me at all. And it could be they have to list thst instead of saying vitamin e, which comes from vegetable oils.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in