Attention to those who feed Victor Dog food - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:10 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
@Jax08 How interesting is that- wow. I really canít say Iím much surprised though. They will have to modify their answer. Lol!
They should tell you how it's processed too. I'm curious how they balanced the minerals, vitamins and amino acids from the meat conga they removed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:18 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
I was using Victors Hi Pro Plus mixed with another kibble, but I don't like the small size of the kibble for a large GSD. Any recommendations for a quality, large sized kibble that is readily available locally and not premium priced?

I don't know what you consider "large sized" for kibble, but Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete is about 32% protein and looks like normal kibble to me. It's just over $40/bag for 40 pounds. You should be able to find it at feed stores, TSC, or mom-and-pop boutiques -- or on Chewy.com. We use this one with foster dogs that need to gain weight or that have very fast metabolism, and it feeds out pretty well for the price.

If you are liking how the Victor with small kibble feeds out, you could try using a slow-feed bowl (or even turning a steel no-tip bowl upside down and putting the food in the steel outer ring). That might at least slow the dog down if it's gulping and not chewing.
post #23 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:20 AM
Crowned Member

@Jax08 I will ask - good questions Michelle.
Jax08 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:45 PM
Master Member

Magwart,
Thanks for the info. I don't think slowing down my dog's eating behavior would work and the Victor kibble is so small for a large dog, being close to the size of a pencil eraser. I called Diamond and they said the kibble size of the extreme athlete is about the diameter of a dime and about two dimes thick, which would have a larger surface area. I don't know why the trend has been to go to smaller and smaller kibble sizes with large breed dog foods. The other kibble I feed is an average, grain free food, pea and fish protein based food, so the rice in the Diamond would compensate for lack of grain and the pea protein. I also found it close by at TSC. I know Diamond has had at least three recalls, but I would think that might be an advantage in that, in order to stay in business, their QC would have to be very good. I used their product in the past and was satisfied, but stopped after the first recall. I can't see paying $55-$60 for 30 pounds of kibble and would rather use that money to buy real food.
JessicaR likes this.
post #25 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I can't see paying $55-$60 for 30 pounds of kibble and would rather use that money to buy real food.
Don't ever look into Orijen.

(A 25lb bag is $90+. I can almost get frozen raw food for that price.)
crittersitter and kaydub_u like this.
post #26 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmags View Post
I think moving forward I will be going with Muenster dog food, it is also made in Texas and they own their own manufacturing plant. No recalls and the owner frequently replies to customers himself and posts on their facebook. Their ingredients and formulas are equal if not better to Victor, grain inclusive and grain free. Beaverdam will also be in my rotation.

I am feeding Muenster Milling Ancient Grains Ocean Fish flavor to my two GSDs. First food they've both had solid stools on. Only down side I've had is that they've got fish breath and the kibble is tiny. The calhos ratio is okay for growing puppies.
mmags likes this.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #27 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:33 PM
Crowned Member

I have not heard from Victor I did put a second call in she is waiting to here back from the nutrionist.

Muenster Milling Ancient grains looks good and in protein and price range. I have never seen the food at my feed store ever hopefully they can get it to try it.

post #28 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:35 PM
Crowned Member

If I were feeding kibble to a working dog and wanted to switch, I'd go with Redpaw.

post #29 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Magwart,
Thanks for the info. I don't think slowing down my dog's eating behavior would work and the Victor kibble is so small for a large dog, being close to the size of a pencil eraser. I called Diamond and they said the kibble size of the extreme athlete is about the diameter of a dime and about two dimes thick, which would have a larger surface area. I don't know why the trend has been to go to smaller and smaller kibble sizes with large breed dog foods. The other kibble I feed is an average, grain free food, pea and fish protein based food, so the rice in the Diamond would compensate for lack of grain and the pea protein. I also found it close by at TSC. I know Diamond has had at least three recalls, but I would think that might be an advantage in that, in order to stay in business, their QC would have to be very good. I used their product in the past and was satisfied, but stopped after the first recall. I can't see paying $55-$60 for 30 pounds of kibble and would rather use that money to buy real food.
What don't you like about the small size? Smaller pieces are easier to digest and since they're easier to digest especially if the dog is chewing they won't swell up as much in the stomach which I think could reduce the risk of bloat or similar issues from dried kibble swelling up in the stomach. Also, less of a choking risk because they are so small.
post #30 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:48 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
If I were feeding kibble to a working dog and wanted to switch, I'd go with Redpaw.

Cool! I will have to check out thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page