Attention to those who feed Victor Dog food - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane'sDad View Post
...would leave a good thing alone and not try to fix something when it's not broken...
The problem is they aren't trying to fix something with the food or the nutrition. They are trying to fix something with the financials. I'm most disappointed that the analysis information is now much less detailed. That alone is a huge red flag for me.

Since we are all talking here, I'm open to suggestions. I'm back to researching and looking for something all-life stages, suitable for a GSD puppy (meaning the right calcium to phosphorus ratio and overall calcium content), protein in the 25-32% range, choices to rotate protein sources, and grain-inclusive. I suppose I could consider rotating in grain-free formulas too as the data there is nebulous at best.
mmags likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:44 PM
Master Member

I get that it's all about money.....all to well I get that...that's why I feel you can pick a company--any company and it's about money and the bottom line---in this case it sounds like they're trying to keep their product at a price point they believe the product will continue to sell well at..in order to do that they're cutting corners on ingredients....that happens every day...pick a market or company in it.....

A good example of the other end of the spectrum is right here where I live...there's a sandwich shop been around over 25 years over the last 10 years pretty much on an annual basis their prices increase--a little bit....but they never cut back on their quality OR tried to compete with any one elses prices....they didn't try to fix or change in any way what wasn't broken by changing quality...they kept the same quality and increased their prices to make the profit they were looking for....I wish (YES I know I live in a dream world) that all companies would keep their quality at the same level they had when "building their name"....just increase your selling price over time if you need to....over the years I've owned a couple businesses ....I understand trying to make a profit....that said when I buy I don't consider price as much in general as I do quality.......I don't mind paying for quality just give the same quality you built your name on...
tc68 and mmags like this.
post #13 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmags View Post
I have not but I have seriously been considering Beaverdam, specifically the high energy bag. How do you like it?
My two are doing well on it. We use the Hi pro /active dog. I have ever since they were pups. I do add a few extras like a boiled egg in the morning and a heaping table spoon of canned food in the evening for flavor variety.

When we had a cat living at our house we took her off of Purina and put her on the Beaverdam cat food..she got sassy and her fur got silky and shiny.
Kahrg4 and mmags like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

I think moving forward I will be going with Muenster dog food, it is also made in Texas and they own their own manufacturing plant. No recalls and the owner frequently replies to customers himself and posts on their facebook. Their ingredients and formulas are equal if not better to Victor, grain inclusive and grain free. Beaverdam will also be in my rotation.
post #15 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:45 PM
Crowned Member

I have done Earthborn for 10? 12? plus years........with all the scare about DCM, and seeing a big change in ingredients....which also seems to be dependent on source (Chewy vs local ag feed store).....I moved mine to another food. Victor never thrilled me, Sport dog was too iffy on supply/delivery....

Beaverdam formula I looked at had a lot of pea products

Remembered meeting a rep at a pet expo a few years back, and a food which used to be highly promoted to the Sch/IPO community. The food was Best Breed (Dr Gary's) - German Dog formula.....so am giving that a try.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net

Last edited by wolfstraum; 03-28-2019 at 03:49 PM.
post #16 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmags View Post
I think moving forward I will be going with Muenster dog food, it is also made in Texas and they own their own manufacturing plant. No recalls and the owner frequently replies to customers himself and posts on their facebook. Their ingredients and formulas are equal if not better to Victor, grain inclusive and grain free. Beaverdam will also be in my rotation.

Which formulas in both brands are you interested in?

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #17 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:52 AM
Crowned Member

I had called victor and wanted to share the information I was given. They wanted to changes some formulas -to all life stages. They had said AFFCO changes changed some of the standard guidelines and they needed to follow those guidelines. They added blood meal to maintain the amount of protein without the additional calcium and phosphorus for growing large breed puppies. Not all formulas are all life stages, though. The blood meal which is the same information I had received previously is from chickens that are slaughtered for the dog food. They will get back to me as why they added the vegetable oil and tetra sodium pyrophosphate in their micro ingredients.
tc68, Jax08 and Shane'sDad like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:14 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
I had called victor and wanted to share the information I was given. They wanted to changes some formulas -to all life stages. They had said AFFCO changes changed some of the standard guidelines and they needed to follow those guidelines. They added blood meal to maintain the amount of protein without the additional calcium and phosphorus for growing large breed puppies. Not all formulas are all life stages, though. The blood meal which is the same information I had received previously is from chickens that are slaughtered for the dog food. They will get back to me as why they added the vegetable oil and tetra sodium pyrophosphate in their micro ingredients.
The protein from animal sources went up in the Nutra Pro all life stages with the change.

post #19 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:21 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
The protein from animal sources went up in the Nutra Pro all life stages with the change.
@Jax08 How interesting is that- wow. I really can’t say I’m much surprised though. They will have to modify their answer. Lol!

post #20 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:55 AM
Master Member

I was using Victors Hi Pro Plus mixed with another kibble, but I don't like the small size of the kibble for a large GSD. Any recommendations for a quality, large sized kibble that is readily available locally and not premium priced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page