Food Containers - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Food Containers

This past Monday I opened a bag of kibble that was ordered online through Chewy....the food was moldy to say the least...I took pics of the kibble itself and the date & codes stamped on the bag....pics ended up not being necessary -the cust service rep said they would contact the manufacturer on my behalf & a replacement bag should be on my door step today--Chewy was great to deal with as always... so kudos to them ...but it made me wonder what folks do after they open kibble to try and keep it as fresh as possible...so here's my question---

What do those of you that buy food in 30 or 40 lb bags use to store the food in to try to keep it as fresh as possible ?...I've seen containers online at sites like Amazon that are marketed as "airtight"--"resealable" and ya da---ya da......So for those of you that may be using one of these containers---what brand ? do you like it ?...positive things ?...negative things?...do they hold up or are they fragile?

I've considered using multiple resealable bags or we have a vacuum sealer that I use for freezer food....but I've never tried either method on kibble....anyway ....Thanks in advance for the responses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:57 AM

I have two 40lb Vittles Vaults under my kitchen island for dog food (Shiba gets one, Steel and Katsu get the other). They are twist tops and have a rubber seal. I'm considering a 3rd for my cat's dry food. They seem durable. I got them because I have a cat that likes to steal food - he'll chew through bags and he knows how to open pop off tops. No complaints so far.
Shane'sDad likes this.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:01 AM
Crowned Member

Freezing in gallon or multi-gallon-sized thick freezer bags is probably the best way to ensure freshness....if you have the freezer space. If your FoodSaver is big enough to do big bags, that would accomplish the same thing (though the bag supplies might get "spendy").

I stopped using plastic dog food bins after the big melamine recalls many years ago: back then, the manufacturers all asked consumers not to use those containers because we lose the ability to track lots (even if you keep the lot code taped to it, if you're mixing the new bag into the tail-end of the old bag, you've contaminated the lot tracking).

They wouldn't reimburse vet bills for food stored that way either. So if there's a recall/contamination issue that harms your dog, if you use a bin, expect your payment request to be rejected.

Also, plastic leaching over time is an increasingly major worry. As those containers age, the likelihood of the fat in the dog food pulling out plastic contaminants is a huge concern for me. When we had to worry about bugs getting into it, we just dropped the entire dog food bag into a steel container with a tight-fitting lid. I think you could probably do that with a plastic one too, if the food is still in the bag.

The manufacturers say that the dog food bags are lined with food-safe film to keep the food fresh. However....it appears that the lining of dog food bags is probably BPA (the same thing used in human canned food that is an endocrine disrupter). So that absolutely sucks and appears to be impossible to avoid. Whether you store the food in it or not, the BPA load is already there.
https://dogfood.guide/bpa/

Note that some brands claim their canned food is BPA-free, so I'd expect their kibble bags to be too....but just like in human processed food, I don't really trust that claim: the human-food companies just substitute BPS which has an even sketchier safety profile, so I'm sure that's all that's happening in the pet-food industry too.

Some of them have zip-lock-type seals (I wish they all did). In food that doesn't have one, a couple of large clips (or even clothes pins) will at least allow you to roll the top down and clip it. Of the ziploc-type packages, Royal Canine's is well-designed (with a very thick, resealable zipper); THK's sucks (with a zipper seemingly designed for maximum frustration).

Wysong has the smartest packaging of all: they sell 40# food in boxes of 4 x 10 pound bags, and they store it in a mylar-like material that is fabulous for freshness. I haven't feed their food in years, but I always thought that was a very good approach to the problem!
Shane'sDad and atomic like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 03-27-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:20 AM

I keep the kibble in the bag inside of a plastic garbage can with a lid.It stays fresh and keeps our mouse friends away.
Shane'sDad likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:25 AM
Crowned Member

I but right from my local feed store I often bring th dogs there with me to pick a toy out or a treat. I always buy the small bags 15lb bag. As to it stays fresh. It means frequent trips but I don’t mind. I keep the food in a the original bag in a sealed aluminum container I got at home goods in my closet which is nice and dry. It easy for me to examine the food bag that way for Any moldy food. One time I got a cheese danish at the bakery it was moldy completely disgusting so if your dogs are not eating their food check it out carefully.
Shane'sDad likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:34 AM
Elite Member

I use a combination of methods described above. Also, while feeding 2 dogs different kibbles (old adult and puppy), I don't buy the large bags. If I have to buy a bag too large to be used quickly, I freeze some in gallon freezer bags. (also convenient for for travel, and for when we run out at a bad time.) I roll up the original bags tightly, and keep both together in a large plastic bin. In the past, I tried pouring kibble into plastic containers made for that purpose, but no longer do for many reasons. (See Magwart's note. Also, unless it's completely full, the kibble is exposed to a lot more air than in a tightly rolled up bag.) ............. When I hear that someone's dog "gets tired of" its kibble by the end of a bag, I suspect that it wasn't kept fresh. My dogs don't have that problem, even though they get lots of treats (including fresh meat) during training several times every day.
Shane'sDad likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Tractor Supply/Fleet Farm/etc. have steel containers, including styles with locking lids, that won't break the bank.

Plastic leeching is starting to freak me out more than ever, so I'm in the process of converting all my outdoor and indoor animal feed storage into galvanized steel. Acidic food can compromise the zinc coating - pickles, tomatoes, that sort of thing. Even though dog food isn't acidic, I leave the food in its original bag, clip shut, and then the bag goes into the metal container. Since I go through bags of food pretty quickly (be it dog, cat, chicken, etc) it doesn't sit in the original packaging terribly long anyway.

Most of them around $20, so even if you bang one up or the lid gets dented and wonky, you can recycle and replace the whole thing without a ton of money going down the drain.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...n?cm_vc=IOPDP2

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...n?cm_vc=-10005

The only downside is they're ugly, but oh well. If someone wants to judge me for that, they can see themselves to the door.
Shane'sDad likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:44 PM

I've had good luck with:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00186O0MO

They are indeed air tight....for a while. After a year of feedings I find the seal starts to wear a bit. If you don"t mind a ~$25 / year replacement costs it might be an option.
Shane'sDad likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:38 PM
Elite Member

I primarily raw feed but my girl likes a bit of kibble to nibble on. I have a chest freezer. Since it's so much cheaper to buy a larger bag of kibble my solution to freshness was a Lowes 5 gallon bucket with lid. I empty the kibble into the bucket and put the whole thing in the freezer. When the bucket gets low I just take the whole thing out and keep it in the kitchen. No problems so far.
Shane'sDad likes this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:03 AM
Elite Member

I store kibble in its original bag, in a food grade plastic drum, in my pantry. Storing kibble in a shed or garage isn't a good idea, unless you can control the environment, i.e. humidity and temperature.
Shane'sDad likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page