I adopted a German shepherd. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

I adopted a German shepherd.

Recently I adopted a German Shepherd from the shelter, he was 2 months old.
I want to train him to be a real hound, but my dog's body is not very strong, perhaps the nutrition in the shelter is too bad.
I want to give my German Shepherd a better nutrition package so that his body can get healthy quickly.
Please give me some advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 04:31 AM
Crowned Member

Mine do great on a mid-grade kibble. The most highly rated fancy stuff is too rich for them. But - dogs are different. 2 mos is very very much a puppy. You want slow steady growth and expect him to be gangly for many months. My latest dog didn't fill out until she was 4. before that, she was super model thin, gazelle body. I avoid puppy formula feed and avoid panno largely because of slow steady growth. Every time I feed large breed puppy feed, the pup develops pano.

What I do feed is Dr. Gary's Best Breed Working Dog formula.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:03 AM

See the website DogFoodAdvisor.com where they rate the quality of most all commercial dog food, canned and dry.

I agree with you that most shelters can't afford to feed good food. I've rescued 2 gsds and both were fed cheap, low

quality food at the shelter and their body and coat looked bad too.

As soon as I upgraded their food and started adding eggs, vitamins, good meat, they looked terrific in a few weeks

and had a sparkle in their eye.

You might want to check with your vet in case your puppy needs worming.

Welcome to the forum and if you have any pictures, we love pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:08 AM

I used to recommend Dog food advisor, too, but since Acana is rated so high there, with their problems,as well as other foods that are causing DCM (heart issues) I wouldn't go by their ratings anymore. Ask your vet as she can actually see the animal and recommend an appropriate food, especially since you mention he's not very strong.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:20 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Watson View Post
Recently I adopted a German Shepherd from the shelter, he was 2 months old.
I want to train him to be a real hound, but my dog's body is not very strong, perhaps the nutrition in the shelter is too bad.
I want to give my German Shepherd a better nutrition package so that his body can get healthy quickly.
Please give me some advice.
Could you clarify a bit please? What do you mean you wanted to train him to be a real hound? And what do you mean his body is not very strong?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:46 AM
Crowned Member

And, at two months, he's very very much a puppy. If you want to look at ratings on dog food, another place to look is Whole Dog Journal. They rate dog foods every year and the results, last I knew, were available free on line. I suspect your vet would recommend a food that they sell --- and those foods are good for specific circumstances --- I suspect their choice would be a large breed puppy food -- and I've not had good results with that. Adult kibble seems to avoid pano developing in puppies in my household.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page