Should I be worried about eating habit? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Should I be worried about eating habit?

Should I be worried?

Our 3 y.o. GSD is on Victor Hero and has 4cups/day split both AM/PM.

Recently noticed he hasn’t been eating all his AM feeding. This probably started around 2/20, so pretty much about a week of this going on. Of the 2 cups he gets in the AM, he’s been leaving about 1/4 cup(more or less depending) in his bowl. I’ve been having to coerce him into eating the rest by either thinking he’s getting a treat or with me hand feeding him.

Other than that, he’s been pretty “normal”, playing outside, regular bowel movements and eating all of his PM feeding with no problem there. When it comes to my husband and I eating breakfast, he’ll still casually sit in front of us and try to beg for some human food. (He never really gets human food from us, but with him leaving food in his bowl in the AM, I’m surprised he’ll still be begging for food.)

Only “major” change that I can think of that has happened was that we were gifted Greenies Original Dental Chews probably a week before this and introduced this to his diet after his PM feeding.

Should I be worried with this behavior or is it worth seeing the vet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

Of my dogs if one did that I wouldn't think anything of it and if the other did, I'd take him to the vet. Only you know whether your dog is really sick.

For what it's worth I'd stop coaxing him to eat or messing with his food. It's a slippery slope to a bad place, ask me how I know!!

If the dog seems fine otherwise maybe stop the greenies for a bit and see if things return to normal?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:19 PM
Master Member

We've had 3 of these guys that were/are picky eaters ( 10 others that would eat any and everything we put in their bowl)--by that I mean they get tired of a particular brand and/or flavor of kibble and slow down eating to the point they don't finish their food and for me it usually with the morning feeding....that's why many folks change flavors regularly some of these guys just loose interest if you don't change up the taste and smell---my old senior had been doing great on Victor ocean fish--he's now loving Sport Dog Food Buffalo & Oatmeal he's close to 14 now....if he doesn't loose interest in 2-3 months-I'll be surprised....some may think it's a bad habit to get started but mixing in cooked ground turkey or chicken-scrambled egg or egg w/cheese...also there are freeze dried dog food products out there labeled as toppers--we've used all of these at one time or the other and it helps them get back in the "habit" of finishing their food.....I'll be the first to say--"see your vet" or "see a new vet" ...but based on your post I'd try another kibble or combo first before seeing my vet also...as I'm sure you know keep an eye on poop when you change kibbles some need a slow transition and some do fine with a quick switch

It also seems to me that years ago "Greenies" were linked to dogs getting sick---maybe bowel obstruction ?? I easily may be wrong---hopefully if some one else remembers they'll chime in

Last edited by Shane'sDad; 02-26-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:08 PM
Master Member

https://vetchick.com/petrumors/green...give-your-dog/---got me curious so I looked and found this
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Yikes! After reading the article and even some of the comments, some of which date back to October 2018 I think Iíll stop the Greenies for now.
This habit only just started around the time we introduced the Greenies, so hopefully thatís whatís causing the weird eating habit.

Our GSD is highly food motivated so this definitely is something out of norm for him to be doing. My husband thinks itís nothing, but Iíve spent more time with the dog than he has (military spouse) so I know when something is weird with him. Being new to an area and having had terrible vet services/paying for useless tests since we got here just makes it a pain in the butt to bring him to see the doc we currently have. Even trying to get his prescription for tick medicine faxed over to Chewy.com was a game playing phone tag 🙄

Anyway thanks for the help. Definitely gonna cut back and hope it was the Greenies causing this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:11 PM
Elite Member

Your dog is probably just not that hungry. A 1/4 cup left in the bowl is not a lot of food left uneaten. If you are in a winter climate and activity level has been slowed by bad weather then I would expect a decrease in appetite. I wouldn't worry too much. Many dogs are great at self regulating food intake based on need.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page