What is good for a gsd with possible tummy issues. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Momto2GSDs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

What is good for a gsd with possible tummy issues.

Hi.. We stitched my 1yr old male gsd from TOTW large breed puppy food to TOTW Lamb since my golden and other gsd was eating it. We slowly introduced it to him. Since then he's had major tummy issues and the vet believes he may be allergic to lamb and wants us to slowly introduce him to something with chicken and lower protein than the lamb which was 25% crude protein. Does anyone have any suggestions? Ultimately we would like to get something with grain. There are just too many choices out there! Should I look for a food geared specifically for GSD(ex: Best Breed German Dog Diet or Eukanuba Breed Specific)

Last edited by dkallas; 02-22-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 05:24 PM
Master Member

As someone who had fed TOTW grain free for a few years our female Aussie had a bad stomach issue last year..we switched kibble...this all happened about the same time that grain free was starting to be suspect in some dogs with heart issues and I decided not to feed grain free anymore---since some of the members here speak highly of Victor and also Sport brand dog foods---I tried Victor my dogs liked it and did well on it ....I have a 13+ year old male GSD who gets tired of flavors over time so I've fed the lamb...then chicken and lastly the ocean fish...formulas do not use peas as a protein source which is supposed to be a good thing--both Victor and Sport have good quality ingredients and protein levels.....I don't work for Chewy BUT they have good prices on both brands and ship very fast.....as far as a supplement that's good to get the "gut" back in order try adding some probiotics to whatever kibble you decide to feed-worked well on our Aussie.

I'd pay more attention to the actual ingredients--what they are--where they are sourced from and protein levels---as opposed to a food for "large breeds" and/or for GSDs...that's JMO

Last edited by Shane'sDad; 02-22-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I'll look into Victors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

The Victor's won't work. Protein % is higher than the vet wants. Has anyone tried Wellness?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 08:23 AM

Many people like Victor. Some do very well with 4Health from Tractor Supply. My dogs have been doing very well on Beaverdam (blue label). Beaverdam's black labeled food has a lower protein count. But my dogs also get a boiled egg each morning, training treats ranging from some left over meat to Red Barn beef roll, and a little canned food ( often 4 Health or Berkley/Jensen Holistic ) like a gravy on their kibble. Yeah, I spoil my dogs a bit.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 09:36 AM
Crowned Member

Here is another thought:

Chicken and Chicken Items Chicken (Meat, Meal, Fat, Eggs, Cartilage) are things that a lot of dogs (not all of course) are sensitive to and some form of these items are included in many kibbles. So you really need to read the labels.

Why not try digestive enzymes and probiotics to help his gut with this sensitivity?

Over 75% of the immune system lies in the gut and it is very important to keep it healthy with probiotics to put the "good bacteria" in his gut and the digestive enzymes to help him assimilate his food?

Here are 2 that contain both:
Mercola Digestive Enzymes/Probiotic:
https://shop.mercola.com/product/211...er-1-container

Feed Sentials Sunday Sundae https://feedsentials.com/sundaysundae (click on the email to order)

Instinct Limited Ingredient dog food contains only ONE protein.... not various proteins like TOTW and others. You may want to give Salmon a try:
https://www.instinctpetfood.com/dogs...ngredient-diet

You could also give some Slippery Elm about an hour before feeding to coat the gut.

Dr. Yanson:

It is a soothing nutritive herb which is perfectly suited for sensitive or inflamed mucous membrane lining of the digestive system. The bark contains mucilage and tannins that act as demulcent (relieves irritation), emollient (calmative), protectant, and astringent. You might think of it as a soothing internal bandage coating the digestive tract for its entire length. Imagine the relief for your pet to have a jelly-like coating soothing in an esophagus (food pipe) burned by acrid vomitus, or in an ulcerated colon. This herb makes a huge difference. It is easy to make and has a very bland taste which makes it easy to add to tasty things.

https://www.amazon.com/Foods-Slipper...w+slippery+elm

Moms
wolfstraum and Custom Billet like this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 11:51 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkallas View Post
Has anyone tried Wellness?

I've fed a lot of Wellness Simple (limited ingredient -- the fish-based one). However, I wouldn't feed it to a puppy as I think the fat is a little low for them. However, it is our go-to food for the adult rescue dogs with skin issues and suspected allergies. We tried several others and didn't get as good a result in as many dogs -- this is the one that seems to give us the best odds and is well tolerated by a majority (but not all) of sensitive adults we've tried it on.

I don't have any experience with the regular lines from Wellness.

For chicken-and-rice food, you might also look at Diamond Naturals all-life-stages chicken and rice, which is almost identical to both 4Health (sold at Tractor Supply) and Kirkland (sold at Costco), as Diamond makes it under a private label agreement for those stores. It's very reasonable -- around $30-ish per 40# bag (less at Costco). It's another food we've fed lots of in the rescue that *most* dogs do very well on -- as long as they don't have a chicken allergy.
https://www.chewy.com/diamond-natura...rmula/dp/34919
I hate for you to have to buy a 40# bag to see if it's going to work though!

For a step up from there, you should also look at Fromm Gold (with grain -- the turquoise bag). I've seen very good results on their large breed puppy food, and many here have fed it. It's chicken and grain based -- and 23% protein for the adult version. At a year old, your dog should be old enough for that:
https://frommfamily.com/products/dog...eed-adult-gold
This one is sold in 5# bags, so you could buy a bag to try -- it's sold at mom-and-pop-style dog supply stores (not big box stores), or at petflow.com. The local independent stores almost always take it back and let you choose something else if it doesn't work for your dog, so there's very little risk to trying it.

Last edited by Magwart; 02-23-2019 at 11:56 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:24 AM

I've had good luck with Pro plan sensitive skin and stomach but I know not everyone wants to feed Pro Plan. One of my GSDs came to me on Royal Canin GSD and it is supposed to be good for digestion and skin, but I haven't tried it. What does your vet recommend?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 06:47 PM

Canine Caviar has a limited one that's just Chicken & Millet. :-)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:48 AM
Elite Member

I'm feeding my dog Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Sensitivity Control. Here's the nutritional information:

Tapioca, dehydrated duck meat, hydrolysed poultry proteins, vegetable fibres, animal fats, beet pulp, fish oil, soya oil, psyllium husks and seeds, minerals, fructo-oligo-saccharides, marigold extract (source of lutein). ADDITIVES (per kg): Nutritional additives: Vitamin A: 25000 IU, Vitamin D3: 800 IU, E1 (Iron): 41 mg, E2 (Iodine): 2.8 mg, E4 (Copper): 10 mg, E5 (Manganese): 54 mg, E6 (Zinc): 203 mg, E8 (Selenium): 0.1 mg - Preservatives - Antioxidants. ANALYTICAL CONSTITUENTS: Protein: 21% - Fat content: 9% - Crude ash: 7.2% - Crude fibres: 4.4% - Per kg: EPA/DHA: 3.5%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page