How do I reduce calories and maintain nutrition? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:16 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinstructor View Post
Good points, Sabis Mom. I don't worry as much about my own or my family's diet, but we do eat a variety of healthy foods ourselves and supplement with a multi-vitamin. I think most of my concern stems from the fact that I don't think the kibble that she is own is the best for her nutritionally (mostly potato, low protein, etc). Back when she had so many GI issues, I resisted trying it for long time, but once I did and all the issues stabilized I've been reluctant to switch. I do supplement her diet with daily small servings of raw vegetables (she will drool for broccoli) and she gets one boiled egg a day. Yes, I consider these too in the overall calorie intake. The vegetables don't amount to much and the egg is only 70 Kcals. I think these are critical for giving her nutrients. I suspect that crittersitter is right on in his assessment of the high carb being the culprit of her weight gain. Ultimately I feel guilty over not making a homemade diet for her, but that isn't feasible at the moment so she'll have to make do. For now I'll just slim her down again and do a better job of maintaining her weight. She is active and healthy so I shouldn't worry about it. Mostly I was curious as to how others dealt with this. Thanks for the feedback.
I have a dog that's tough to keep weight on, similar issues. Multiple allergies plus health issues and it's tough to find foods that agree with her. I hesitate to ever recommend them but they do make vegan diets for dogs that seem to work well with difficult dogs. I know when I priced it out pre made raw for Shadow was about $300/mo here. I cannot afford that, and I don't know many who could.
While I understand the fact that under feeding could cause deficiencies it came to my attention years ago that pet food companies seem fond of fat pets. It is a rock and a hard place.
techinstructor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:48 AM
Crowned Member

Techinstructor, the AAFCO guidelines live under lock-and-key unless you pay for them. Susan at Truth about Pet Food has written extensively on that over the years.

Monica Segal published a previous edition of NRC guidelines (with permission) which are what you're supposed to use for home prepared food. They're in her K9 Kitchen book. That book has the nutrient values of different ingredients. She hasn't updated it, so it's a little out of date -- but it was one of the top 10 recommended books from WDJ on home-cooked diets:
https://www.monicasegal.com/K9Kitche..._The-Hype.html

She also does consultations on formulating kibble "plus" diets -- adding up to 25% raw plus whatever else is needed to your dog's diet to round it out. Here's he link:
https://www.monicasegal.com/kibble-plus-raw-plus.html

Unfortunately, veggies won't help you with nutrients like taurine -- the one that's under investigation for DCM. For that, you'd be better off supplementing it by capsule or else feeding raw beef heart. This isn't as easy as just adding eggs and veggies -- it's why I don't self-formulate. It takes a spreadsheet to get right.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Monica Segal published a previous edition of NRC guidelines (with permission) which are what you're supposed to use for home prepared food. They're in her K9 Kitchen book. That book has the nutrient values of different ingredients. She hasn't updated it, so it's a little out of date -- but it was one of the top 10 recommended books from WDJ on home-cooked diets:
https://www.monicasegal.com/K9Kitche..._The-Hype.html

She also does consultations on formulating kibble "plus" diets -- adding up to 25% raw plus whatever else is needed to your dog's diet to round it out. Here's he link:
https://www.monicasegal.com/kibble-plus-raw-plus.html

Unfortunately, veggies won't help you with nutrients like taurine -- the one that's under investigation for DCM. For that, you'd be better off supplementing it by capsule or else feeding raw beef heart. This isn't as easy as just adding eggs and veggies -- it's why I don't self-formulate. It takes a spreadsheet to get right.

I have Monica's book and follow her on FB along with her K9Kitchen group. She is a walking encyclopedia about nutrition. I'd love to have her do a consult, but I don't think my hubby would agree to spending the money. Yes, I have all the AAFCO data from her book in a spreadsheet. The problem is I don't know what actual nutrient amounts are in the kibble and Royal Canin has not responded to my query. I noticed the THK gives this data up front on their website. RC takes advantage of its prescription status and is not forth coming with information. As for Taurine, she gets 500mg daily from a capsule I sprinkle on her food. I started this after reading posts and blogs from Monica and her recommendation for supplementing with it to be safe. I figured since her food was mostly potato, that it would be lacking in Taurine. I don't count on the eggs and veggies for her basic nutrition, hence the concern over feeding her less. I do think they are good for her however and she really does love them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:04 PM

Just be careful with vitamin supplementation. You can overdo it. Some vitamins are not water soluble meaning they can build up in the system and cause a toxic result. Try adding fresh food as a supplement instead. It's much safer.
techinstructor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page